Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

What not make your own or get a friendly local joiner to cut some MDF and paint them whatever colour you like.

1 Like

Like the Cyrus units and made in Japan album

Thank you. Things have moved on since that photo and I upgraded from the Cyrus phono signature to Rega Aura and love it.

Made in Japan still onboard thoughšŸ‘

2 Likes

I received my Naim Fraim today! It was a good amount of work to assemble, but not difficult. I thought I would post pictures of the process, in case prospective buyers are interested.

Here is a picture of the empty space where my Quadraspire rack was installed.

Here are all the Fraim base parts spread out and ready for assembly:

Every single stainless steel piece is individually wrapped so they will not get scratched. Well packaged indeed.

Here is the Fraim base assembled:

Here are the parts for a Fraim shelf ready for assembly:

And finally, the whole assembled product!

It took me 3.5 hours to unplug all my components, assemble the Fraim and dress the cables. It was fun! I really like the appearance of the Fraim. Call me crazy, preliminary listening says the sound quality is better! :smiley:

19 Likes

Looking nice, but i wouldnā€™t have stacked your kit in that order, i would have the power supplies at the bottom

1 Like

Prior to a recent trip abroad I decided to completely strip down the system and rebuild. It was surprising just how loose the FRAIM fittings were after around 9 months left untouched. The sonic benefits of a rebuild were substantial. Iā€™d recommend one at least every six months.

Same, it looks illogical to me too.

It might need tightening once, but Iā€™d be surprised if it required tightening thereafter. Iā€™ve never found that to be the case and Iā€™ve been a Fraim owner for nearly 21 years.

1 Like

Try it with the pre-amp on top and the Hicap on the bottom.

4 Likes

Same here. When I got the Fraim and put it together, I tightened it up after a year or so and it has been fine since. Thatā€™s 10-12 years ago. I recently checked everything again when my kit was away for service. Still spot on.

Dustingā€¦ thatā€™s something elseā€¦ :crazy_face:

Spot on advice - it worked for me.
I did prefer how everything sounded that way - I will resist saying SQ was better - but the overall performance for what ever reason - even that cables were hanging more freely etc - was personally preferable with my 552 head end on top shelf. However it was the 252 that seemed to benefit the most being on top of full fat Fraim in terms of my sound preference

Thatā€™s good to know as even for myself who worked for two decades as a Joiner itā€™s a time consuming job!

The only thing here is that the ā€˜preampā€™ is a Supernait. Iā€™d stack it as NDX2, SN, Hicap, XPS. The most important thing is to arrange it so the Burndy is off the floor. The whole rack needs moving forward, to give sufficient space to keep the cables off the wall. The other practical issue is that the SN is far too low if you want to avoid lying on the floor to adjust the volume.

1 Like

I agree. When I had this exact set up, this was my stacking order,

1 Like

Ah yes, well spotted.

Itā€™s an easy spot, as there are no preamps with two knobs and only one row of buttons. Itā€™s always struck me as odd that the 202 has no balance knob, yet the SN does.

Yes, easier now Iā€™m on my computer - not so easy bleary eyed and Covid stricken looking on my phone this morning (thank you whoever it was coughing and sneezing throughout right behind me on Easy Jet on Friday)ā€¦

Thats not good Richard, hope you get over it soon.

Thanks Gaz. Remarkably, Mr Sneezy decided that if he wore his mask just over his mouth it would be easier for him to sneeze with his nose free. Iā€™d been dreading the consequences and thought that by Sunday I may have dodged a bullet. Sadly on Monday I woke feeling beaten up. However, a negative LF test. Then, still feeling rough yesterday, I finally got a positive LF test.

2 Likes

Sorry to read this Richard, went through it myself at the end of March / beginning of April for a couple of weeks - hope you recover quickly.

1 Like