Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

It is really up to you and once settled its maybe once a year. Difficulty depend on the height of your tower(s). Just pay someone to come do it. From the dealer or I hired one of the guys that come and build IKEA-products for you. 15-minute of instruction and he rebuilt my Fraim as 2 x 3-level while I did the burndies.

It is worth it and yet I’m lazy enough to run both the Roon-server and the NDX2 over WiFi!

The science of why the FRAIM SHOULD be tight ( and re tightened once a year at least) was explained to me by Jason Gould only last week. He had it explained to him by Roy George.

How does it untighten though?

My guess would be changes in temperature leading to expansion and contraction, plus vibrations.

1 Like

Pets? :rofl: ATB Peter

Exactly :+1:

If you do a tighten up after the first assy, say a week later surely this should be enough.

I’m following this thread with interest - I did kind of think that all all the voodoo on improvements in sound were a bit wacky. But in the end they’re actually nice pieces of audio furniture (pricy, yes but a lot of others are too…). And it’s purpose built for Naim equuipment. If I look at it that way, I can clearly see why someone would buy them…Now I’m looking for a set of second-hand shelves!! They’re solid, look nice, everything fits…Why not?

It is.

Changes in temperature and humidity through the seasons.

It’s because the metal parts compress the veneer. You need to tighten it a few times in the first couple of years, then it settles and it hardly ever needs doing. People make out like it’s the end of the world but it’s really no big deal.

5 Likes

Make sense, I’ve just checked, it’s tightened as it should be, and the last time I tightened it was around 10 years ago.

So it’s really not a big deal at all.

1 Like

I’ve have checked mine many times. And it always proved to be a waste of time. But that’s only for the last 4, 6, 8 … years or so. After initial setup, a re-tightening after a year or 2 and it never required any more maintenance than dusting.

I took it apart last week. Cleaned it, checked it for proper tightness (and surprising, again a waste of time) and stacked it up again, done. The - indeed - utter nonsense that is posted around the Fraim. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I have tightened mine once since it was new and that wasn’t because it had loosened in the first place, it hadn’t - it was more the fact that i wanted to re-build it again, having more understood the product and to make sure that i hadn’t left any stone unturned from my first build.

It’s rather like a pair of veneered factory built speakers - leave them alone and just carry on enjoying the music, you simply should not have to keep messing around with their fixing bolts for optimum performance, to do so is simply a bad design. I think it’s more that some folks just like messing around with their spanners, for no reason other than sheer boredom.

No where in the manual does it say that Fraim requires frequent tautening sessions for optimum performance.

3 Likes

Stephen - did I see a thread where you had a rant on the nSUB and you’re not happy with it ??

Can’t see it now

1 Like

It’s here @Bevo

I have recently upgraded my Fraim with double shelf base, the tv went up :arrow_up:

30 Likes

That looks better.

2 Likes

Well done mate :wave:

Thanks,:ok_hand: I was busy since morning 6 o’clock last Friday :sweat_smile: and it took some hours.