Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

At the moment (!) I only have a single box - the Nova. Is it possible to get a single Fraim shelf (with the balls and cups) and if so is it worthwhile?

You can buy whatever you want, but the shelves have cones rather than spikes so you’d really want a base as well. You’d have to reach so low to adjust it that it’s really not practical. With just a Nova, why not just put it on a nice little wooden table or a sideboard.

Thanks, I was thinking a single isolated shelf (Fraim shelf?) on top of the cabinet on which the Nova is currently sitting, then putting the Nova on that.

Re-reading my initial post, I realise that I didn’t make that at all clear!

In that case, get yourself a Fraim glass shelf and a set of the cups and balls. You can buy these from your dealer - at a price - or get a piece of glass made by a local glazier. Having a Fraim shelf on a piece of furniture will just look silly.

1 Like

You could also put something like Isoacoustics Orea’s under the Nova. If you’re sitting it on a sideboard or it’s in a cupboard (my Atom is in my lounge) that can provide a useful compromise to a full rack, which for a single all in one product is probably not ideal anyway.

2 Likes

FWIW, my Atom is on a TV stand that I would struggle to call hi-fi-friendly. As far as I can tell, at plausible volumes, it works well. I have a spare set of Naim cups and balls that I tried as a stand-alone (i.e. not in a Fraim), but from my experiments I can’t recommend them being used that way.

1 Like

Naim does not yet offer an absorber or isolation platform for the Uniti series. I myself have had very good experience with the Uniti Atom using @Xanthe approach here on the forum „Link: click here“. A platform can be built yourself with little effort. The result is very convincing and was a big step forward in my system. Previously, I had only put the Atom on the audio sideboard, but it has too many resonances. Link: [„Photo here“].(Small Stand Recommendation - #16 by Wilfried)

2 Likes

I got my additional level but I wonder what component should go where? I have 2 Lite (currently top and bottom) and 4 Full. I placed the Supercap bottom, then the Nap135s, then the 52, CD12 and last Klimax Radikal. Was that “optimal”?

3 Likes

In my experience Naim pre-amps don’t like anything digital right above them. I would place the pre-amp up top, radikal below the pre, and then CD12 below that.

4 Likes

Full fraim for 52? I believe that the The Radikal benefits the least from a full Fraim, but whos next? CD12 or SC?

Yes, definitely full Fraim for the NAC52.

2 Likes

An obvious benefit of placing the NAC52 on the top is access to the rear sockets, which aren’t easily accessed with the rear leg of the Fraim.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look at my set up. Presently the Klimax DS/3-Katalyst is on the shelf above the NAC 282. The shelf below is the Headline / SNAXO / Chord EE8 switch

DG…

3 Likes

Hard work! I have now put all Naim gear on full Fraim and the Linns on Lite. 52 on top with plenty of air to the others. Even if the Fraim looks abit 80s to me I must say I really like the construction snd attention to detail…and especially I like what it does for the music! I hear improved clairity and calm since redistributing the Full Fraim and rearranging the gear! Thank you for guidance!

18 Likes

Re-jigged my set up. The NAC 282 is now on the top shelf above the Linn Klimax DS3 / Katalyst.

DG…

11 Likes

That looks really nice. Can you detect any improvement in that configuration?

@Clive

Thanks for the nice comments.

I’ve re-jigged it again following comments from @anon4489532.

Put the SNAXO on the left away from the transformer of the 250 and put the Headline on the right.

To be honest, not noticed any change, but as HH said, best to keep the SNAXO away from a large transformer.

DG…

3 Likes

I’d probably swap the Snaxo and the Linn in order to get as much distance as possible. Maybe I suggested that before but if not, it may be worth trying.

I did that this morning and made sure that the power supply and transformer of the Linn is not below the SNAXO.

I’m now considering putting the two 250s at the bottom of the rack, because the transformers of the FlatCap XS and SuperCap are much smaller.

DG…

1 Like

Update;

Thanks @anon4489532

A simple change as you suggested has made a significant difference.

More detail and a bigger soundstage, the bass is deeper, but not overpowering.

Thanks again and enjoying this FOC upgrade.

DG…

5 Likes