Naim Fraim - is it worth it really?

I’ve always fancied the Naim Fraim. But don’t have space for a double stack. Even a single stack would be a bit tight.

Consequently, I went with a SimRack, single rack. My dealer advised that it would be on a similar level, SQ wise, with the Naim Fraim Lite.

To deal with the Brain / Brawn set up, I set them up with help from my dealer, with the biggest transformer at the bottom, going up to no transformer.

Set up, from top to bottom is;

• NAC 282
  • SNAXO 242 / Headline
  • Klimax DS3/Katalyst
  • NAP 250
  • NAP 250
  • HiCap / HiCap
  • SuperCap
  • NAPSC / NAPSC (on floor, under the rack)

Eventually, I would like to go with the Naim Fraim, but may have wait for a major room change around.

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable Boxing Day.

DG…

8 Likes

No shame in that. I have Isoblue - less expensive, simpler (than Fraim) - and good enough - for me…

10 Likes

Some nice looking older units there.

I also looked at that rack too at the time.

DG…

1 Like

Thankyou. Only the XPS2 is current.

There are many way… to skin a cat… :expressionless:

My logic was that I quite liked how Isoblue looked (Marmite maybe) - and I needed more levels. The rack I had was Sound Factory Tripods - no longer made. My local Linn/Naim dealer sold Isoblue. So…

I had no problem selling on the SF Tripods - although I did keep (and still have) the Turntable Stand.

There is always the option to go to 2 stacks, if the Turntable stand were to go… :astonished:

3 Likes

Looks like a stable rack for the LP12.

DG…

Three Legs Good - !! All Metal.

The geometry and general arrangement of the SF Tripods is not dissimilar to Fraim. I also read somewhere (on here…), that Isoblue is related to the SF Tripods, in someway…?

I’ve had a number of racks over the years prior to the SimRack

First was a Target TT2.

Second was a Target LR series.

Third was a Quadraspire Q4 Evo.

Must admit, I’m very happy with the SimRack. Solid Oak wood and toughened glass shelves. This is my first Tripod rack.

DG…

2 Likes

I think you would be a bit surprised in the difference a fraim would bring over your rack.
I went from a similar sort of rack to fraim and found it changed the sound, i believe its the metal box sections that add something as they do ring and could help to inject life in to the music? Whatever it is it does sound different to a full wooden rack.
Plus i also believe the more shelves you have the greater the difference, maybe this is why folk like adding extra shelves as it changes the sound, rather than the extra space you get by adding a bare shelf or going to the longer lenght box sections of the fraim.
But whatever it is the fraim does change the sound, for better or worse, i for one feel its for the better.
Only problem with fraim is the center rear leg or could do with deeper shelves when using non fraim gear.

I’ve got a similar issue with the SimRack.

The SNAXO has a Burndy cable on the left side. Ideally, I like this on the right side of the rack as the transformer, albeit small, inside the Klimax is on the left side, below it.

However, it won’t fit, because of the rear leg, so you have to compromise somewhere. But I have seen with the Fraim that the rear metal support can be slightly angled.

Ideally, I’d like the Fraim, so perhaps one day, but I also want to get the Organik DAC upgrade for the Klimax, so that may come first.

DG….

Exactly, I’m happy with “twin stack” Fraim too :+1:

22 Likes

I don’t have room for the second Fraim thanks, hence the question. Given that the 552 has the floating chassis and I’m using the glass shelf with stainless steel ball bearings and nuts, I might just stick with that.

2 Likes

I have to wonder whether it might be better to put the 552 on the Fraim top shelf, and put the streamer where the 552 is now.

1 Like

I did my twice yearly rebuild over the weekend, and swapped the positions of the 252 and Superline. I don’t know that is makes any sonic difference, but I think the new arrangement works better for me with the shelf space to keep stylus cleaner, brush, etc. handy on top.

9 Likes

Yes, that’s another option, though one of my coaxial leads from the bluray won’t reach then (though I could obviously get a longer one).

IsoAcoustics has isolation board, pucks, Oreos as well as other companies such as Herbie’s Audio Lab in the USA. Lots of great reviews available from users around the globe.

3 Likes

A Fraim base in this situation would be ideal imo. And you’ll have it if you upgrade to two stacks.

1 Like

looks good too Mike, awesome setup!

1 Like

Yeah, a big reason I moved the Fraim on is it’s too big for my tastes. I prefer a minimalist rack. And the SQ claims are pretty much nonexistent so not a hard decision . I’m back to using my old Soundorg rack and everything is sounding great.

1 Like

My experience was exactly the opposite. For a cleaner look I tried three different “simplified” racks plus IsoAcoustics isolators this year.

I then rigged the Naim Fraim again and the improvement was immediate. It also looks pretty good!

5 Likes

The mind is a powerful thing.

2 Likes