Naim ND5 XS 2 Network Player Comparison CDX2 Gen 1

Hi Chris

My cd player doesn’t have the ability to connect a separate Dac.

That option is only on a .2 version. Converting mine at over £1000 then buying a Ndac again £1000 second hand is pointless.

Anyway Naim are condemning my player without even looking at it.

Trevor

True, but electronic components are less likely to fail and need replacement than mechanical components, even if their lifespan my be limited by advancements in the State of the Art.

1 Like

Hi Trevor, yes of course you can sign up to streaming services and it’s a popular route to accessing music at various price points and sound qualities but you are beholden to being connected to the internet, the offering and subscription without any ownership and everything continuing to work with your equipment longer term. From what I’ve read it seems the current business models of the streaming services is not that sustainable for them or the artists so costs, realistically, can only rise. Currently it’s mostly small beer but adds up over time of course.
Ripping your own CDs is a closed loop in that once it’s set up it works until a component fails with no limitations or additional cost other than the music you choose to buy.

Personally I prefer the ownership model and mostly tend to buy the music I want, sometimes vinyl if it seems like it’s done well, sometimes a CD to rip (new or s/h) or downloads occasionally. We do dip into Spotify from time to time mostly for discovery but in the main our replay is from our own media.

No right or wrong, just horses for courses I guess.

1 Like

Hi audioade

I think I need to find out more about this subject as it clear I don’t know enough about it.

It does still make me wonder that if your buying the vinyl or cd anyway what not use a turntable or cd player. I am off to Audio T this weekend to improve my understanding of the subject.

I do have a Sonos streamer which I use in a second system. On this I just stream direct from Spotify which is what I thought the general idea was.

Thankyou for making me more aware of my lack of knowledge.

Hear is still hoping I can get my cdx2 fixed.

Trevor (Cayman295)

Ripp your CD’s and play them on a streamer,a CD player can’t read a CD as accurately as a ripper.

This post is worth a read IMO.

If Naim and your dealer have diagnosed correctly, then they likely saved you the cost and or hassle of sending your player back to HQ. If they expect they can fix a thing, they will, but don’t give false hope if they genuinely cannot.

I have to say I think Naim actually do go above and beyond, compared to much of the competition. That’s still the main reason I plan to stay with Naim for any upgrades.

I wish you the very best of luck resolving the issue with your player, or finding a suitable alternative, Naim or otherwise. Personally I think it’s difficult to find many equivalent manufacturers when it comes to long term supportability

1 Like

Hi gthack

To be honest I think your probably right I am just so frustrated at the cost to replace and with so many different options on which way to go. I new eventually I would need to move towards streaming but was expecting to do it my terms not pushed so to speak.

With Naim not making a mid range streamer I may be pushed to a different manufacturer.

Something of interest I have been looking at but know little about is the Primare CD35 Prisma CD player/Streamer which would give me the best of both worlds but don’t know about sound quality.

My dealer has also suggested a Lyngdorf Cd 2 player again I nothing of this item.

But as I have a non DR XPS 2 power supply the obvious route is the NDX2.

But cost and the prospect of it being made obsolete are making me think twice. The wife also thinks the cost is ridiculous which is another battle to be won.

Thanks Trevor (Cayman295)

1 Like

I use a Primare NP5 streamer into a Chord Hugo mk1 DAC as my streaming solution. To be honest, as much as I enjoy spinning CDs in my CD5, the Primare/Chord does sound a lot better. Hugo mk1 about £450 on eBay, Primare I think I found for £350. The Chord is nicely built. The Primare is adequately built, I think that’s deliberate on the part of the manufacturer - it’s a practical way to add up to date streaming to legacy kit. Neither exude what the CD5 does.

I don’t know how easy Primare kit is to service, or what their repair policy/capability is. I bought the NP5 on a bit of a whim, it’s been great to use. But I expect a ND5 XS2 would easily outlive it. I suspect the bigger Primare boxes are a lot more substantial than the NP5 though.

Lots of threads on here about the various ways to skin the streaming cat. What I don’t like about my setup is the faff of two boxes, an app, a physical power button on the Chord - and would swap that for the convenience of the ND5 XS2, even knowing the SQ wasn’t quite as good.

I bet the NDX2 sounds fabulous, and the user experience is good by all accounts. Second hand ones coming down in price from what I see on eBay. I also recall Richard D suggesting even faulty Naim CD players fetching ok money on the secondhand market, though one with a DAC vs transport fault might be a different matter.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply! Best of luck again.

I recommend you the new thread opened by @Graeme , « a tale of hope , above and beyond « .

1 Like

@Cayman295

I have some good news for you!

We are now in a position to carry out the repair of your CDX2. If you wish to go ahead, I’d advise getting back in touch with Audio T & we will raise an RMA.

If they require verification of the current situation, Flynn Charter will provide.

Regards
Neil.

17 Likes

You are a star

3 Likes

Great stuff.

Very very few companies provide a service like this anymore.

4 Likes

Hi Neil

Yes Of course I would like the player serviced and repaired.

I will be on to Jon @ Audio T as soon as they open this morning.

How is the best way to contact Flynn Charter if required

I can’t thank you enough and if it all works out my faith in Naim will be restored.

Thanks Trevor (Cayman295)

6 Likes

If they request through our RMA email system, and explain the story, Flynn can reply through that platform if necessary.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Excellent customer service. Bravo Naim!

Excellent Customer Service from Neil. Great news!

2 Likes

Hi Folks

Great Service by Neil for which I am very grateful. but not so sure about Naim themselves. Why did it take Neil to sort it out?

Anyway the RMA was raised successfully this time and the player has been collected which has to be a good sign I guess. Be interesting to see how long it takes and what they do to repair and service it.

I will update when I know more. But this adventure should be a warning for anyone with a CD player no matter of brand.

It is interesting though to see so say genuine Naim CDX2 and other lasers for sale on Ebay.

Has anybody bought one?

Trevor Cayman295

2 Likes

Hi All

I have an update on my CDX2. It has been returned by Naim to my Audio T dealer today fixed and ready to go.

Evidently they carried out the following repairs:-

1. Fitted a new DAC

2. Replaced the reservoir

3. Replaced tantalum caps.

4. It has also had a software update.

So hopefully after collecting tomorrow things will be back to normal.

Hopefully good for another 18 years.

Thanks again to Neil at Naim for sorting this for me.

Trevor (Cayman295)

5 Likes

I gave up on CD players 12 years ago. Traded my CDX2 in for an HDX, ripped all my CDs and never looked back. Given the mechanical nature of the HDX, I recently traded that in for an NDX2, converted all my WAV rips to FLAC and copied everything to a network NAS and USB drive for the NDX2. Any future CD activity will be on my computer with Exact Audio Copy (a phenomenal, free program) and copying the rips on to the NAS/USB drive.

Would love to hear how it sounds.

I have an all Naim set-up, including a 19 year old CDX2.

I’d love to get it back to its prime condition willing to pay decent money …rather than having to buy an Audiolab CDT900 - and then maybe going down the Audiolab road to match.

Yes the original Mech could pack in at anytime - but so tempted to take the risk!