Naim Olive

my humble little nait 2 which will be used in my office set up once we return to work

I’m also on the lookout for a 72/140/Hicap set, but ones in good condition / recently serviced appear very difficult to find

20 Likes

I think what I was trying say say badly was…in the owners manual Naim appear to show the pre amps in order. Best to least beast.
Starting with 52,82,72, then 92.
Sort of suggesting that they see the 82 as better than 72. Doubt many would argue with 92 being last ( and 52 being first).

1 Like

I used 62, 72, 82 in that order and for me the 82 was a big step up from the 72, as it was 1993 the details are hazy, but I never regretted making the move. I had a HiCap on both the 72 and 82.

2 Likes

OK, I now follow.
At around 1991, in terms of a hierarchy, it would have been 52 - 72 - 62.
By 1992, it would be 52 - 82 - 72 - 62.
And so on, with the 92 replacing the 62.

Something like that.
I was reading the pre amp manual that came with my 72, and assumed that was how Naim saw things.

1 Like

The prices would seem to reflect that as well, the 82 was 3 times the price of the 72 in this 1998 price list.

1 Like

Like the CDi player was the single box version of the 2 box CDS player, the NAC82 preamplifier was the single box version of the 2 box NAC52 preamplifier.

However, the NAC72 still remains an excellent naim preamplifier with great sound. Additionally, I recall that I went from a CB 62 to an Olive 82 and it was an amazing jump in performance.

3 Likes

Don’t be so sure the 82 is better than the 72. I clearly preferred the 72 in an extended shootout. There is a reason that the 72 is used in a number of DBL systems.

5 Likes

Do you know what, I see and hear a lot of love for the 72, but little for the 82 and 92.
I can see that the form factor of 72 has appeal. For me at least.
Given its list price back in the day vs that for the smaller form factors, it does not appear to have held its price.

1 Like

Loving an 82 here… :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Loving the 72 here :joy:

6 Likes

The 72 was selling for around 700 pounds back in the day, and I see good condition ones still list for 600 pounds nowadays. Not bad in terms of holding value.

1 Like

Yep. Even better if you’ve also managed to get 25 years use. Almost an investment!

Not sure how much of their price not is lockdown related. Would be interested to hear from others what prices were like say 2 years ago.

1 Like

Where did you find your 72/140? The good condition ones see very difficult to find.

Me? Ebay, I’m afraid to say. Spoke to plenty of dealers, go no replies.Did feel like buying a second hand Rolex. Build the relationship, buy stuff you don’t want, get added to a list.

My pair are near mint, boxed, manual, lead, snaic…originally supplied by Billy V. An element of luck and timing. And a grand!

2 Likes

The issue with the 72 not holding its price (until lately) is simply that Naim made so many.

I’d like to think that was because they were damd good!

I found finding a decent one hard.

Check out ebay. There is a 42 or 62, can’t remember, but some daft sod has dropped power supply inside it! Yep, really. He is almost selling this tosh as a benefit. Absolute sacrilege.

2 Likes

I saw that. Poor 42.5. Probably one of the stupidest things I’ve seen.

2 Likes

As I said above I used mine for 25 years. There are a few happy long term 82 users here.

4 Likes

For most of the year that I owned my NAC 72, I was dissatisfied with it because I made the mistake of comparing it to the newly launched NAC 52 just after I bought it.

I still have my NAC 52.

3 Likes