Naim Olive

We won’t mention the Chromecast round the back so my missus can play Spotify!

1 Like

I shall light a votive candle for the continued good health of the laser mechanism in your CDI.

2 Likes

It’s a CDM4 so I’m fine :+1: Plenty of spare mechs at a service centre I dare not mention!

The mechs themselves (a very rare pro version of theCDM4) are long gone, however, the lasers can be scavenged by some techs from the common regular version and can be used. However if the hall motor drive has an issue then it’s probably toast.

They still have the transports apparently, some from donor players and some new old stock.

See my other thread Active Olive SBLs disappoint
:disappointed:

Thanks you. It looks great.

Looks odd… Not genuine… IMO.

Seems like it, doesn’t it? I am not using it. Instead I have a spare black snaic 4 that came in handy

1 Like

Ah, it does seem like it’s not the real deal though.

1 Like

It’s not a SNAIC but it looks like the pre-power interconnect that Naim provided before developing the SNAIC. So maybe the real deal but prehistoric.

I see. Thank you.

Hard to tell from the picture alone but I think the earlier pre power interconnect was a little bit thinner.

1 Like

Yes, the original I/C was only maybe 4mm diameter , I recall. This lead looks much thicker - and has the Cable Supports missing. Says DIY to me… No Hissing… :snake:

1 Like

The more I look at this odd cable, the more I think ‘DIY SNAIC’. On a real Naim SNAIC (or all breeds) there is a section of cable covered in black heat shrink at each end. I assume this is to physically get the large diameter cable into the DIN’s cable supports…?

1 Like

This one is aproximately 8mm and hence as thick as a black snaic

1 Like

Or a Grey Snaic… Much the same size… But prettier…

1 Like

Another one for you Olive fans. I’ve now listened to the 140 for 5 days and have some questions.

1. What speakers would you recommend for the 82/Hicap/140?

2. Do you think my Spendor D9 are too reveiling for this little amp? It sounds fine but gets fatiguing.

3. How would you describe the difference in sound between 140 and 250DR? @Richard.Dane maybe?

4. How would you describe the differences in sound between olive 140/250/135?

I’ve posted here trying to describe the difference in performance between my NAP110 and NAP250DR playing into my SL2s. Mostly it’s down to frequency extremes; well resolved on the NAP250DR, not so much on the NAP140, and space; far better resolved on the NAP250DR, with a real sense of depth and placement within the soundstage.

2 Likes

Its near impossible to answer such a wide ranging and specific question. I have both an Olive 140 and a CB/Olive 250. I do not have any 135’s… The 140 is far from disgraced if ‘sub’ed’ into my 82/250 system.

You have a 140 - for only 5 days…? I have had my 250 since 1985 - thats 37 years or 13,500 days… Hang in there a bit longer, before asking more questions… :crazy_face:

2 Likes