Naim Olive

I have an olive cdx and heared it against cd5 some years ago. Cdx is much better in my opinion. And with XPs it really goes to the top.
Why is there a problem with service?

1 Like

That looks lovely. I do miss my olive kit. I ended up with NAC52, Supercap, 2xNAP135, CDS2, XPS all olive. Then I was tempted away by the NDS and 555PS and from there it was a slippery slope.

3 Likes

@Ardbeg10y

I had a CDi (olive), then a CDX (olive) and now have a CDX2.2 - with new XPSDR added at the end of last year. As drago says CDX is much better than a CD5i. My music buddy still runs my old olive CDi (which had a new transport a few years ago) and that still sounds excellent.

2 Likes

I am not sure if they are servicable, and if they are, I would be happy to send an amp for service (done a few times), but a CD player seems to be a different matter. More sensitive stuff.

As an alternative, I also consider to get an old Philips CD player - but these Philips CD players from the eighties can be serviced by many people where I live.

I’m actually waiting for a supercap olive arriving. Looking for falling into the same route as yours.

I’m sure you regret to change them though :disappointed_relieved:
I was told that my NAC82 was serviced by class A on 2012. I think it’s more engaging than a NAC282 it replaced.

1 Like

Thank you - your current system is superb

A CDI would be the ultimate solution, because it is both Naim and Philips mech & dac! (I’m Dutch, therefore my focus on Philips - nostalgia maybe). The CDI’s don’t come too often on the market though and if they come, they feel too expensive to me. For not much more a CDS and its powersupply is feasible.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I preferred the NAC52 over its replacement the NAC252. I found it more musically engaging and refined. It was also olive and that’s always a big plus!

7 Likes

Di you still use the NDS / 555PS with olive amps? I have got the same (NAC52, Supercap, 2xNAP135) into SBL and thinking about NDS / 555PS. I currently run HDX/DAC/olive XPS which sounds very fine.

Here in germany i see the CDI on the used market now and then.
The CDS2 / XPS is alo an option and I am tempted to test it sometimes, even if I love the music management voa ipad a lot.

No, the NDS made way for a ND555 and the amps were changed for 552/500. The NDS works fine with a NAC52 and 2xNAP135.

1 Like

I use the ND555 with 52/SC/135s into B&W804S, it makes music really enjoyable.

1 Like

What have you done - completely on the dark side. As a manner of speaking… :slight_smile:

I do still have the (olive) NAT01, although it’s currently on holiday in Salisbury. So I’ve not gone totally over to the dark side!

2 Likes

I like to think of the ND555 and 555PSDR as black olives. :grinning:

4 Likes

I found 523-K Boards on ebay from a respected dealer in glasgow. They are sold as new.
Are still new boards available?
Here in Germany you can onkly get them as recapped versions…
New ones … it es tempting.

Does anyone know, if boards can be purchased new.
I have just bought SBL Sikes new … wow… :slight_smile:

The price was wow, or the result?

Both …:slight_smile: Wow was for them being still available!

One would certainly hope so! :sunglasses: