Naim Olive

I have dropped stuff off when my daughter was at the university of sheffield. But she has had the audacity to get a job in manchester now!

2 Likes

Sheffield, Manchester - much the same… lols.

1 Like

Packaged properly, courier proofed as best I can, and then I bottled out and took the boxes to Sheffield myself.

I also personally collected bits of my system from Glasgow, Cambridge, York, Salisbury ( not the factory), St Albans, Leicester etc.

I’ve seen for myself the devastation caused by carelessness, and with our old Olive gear, it needs careful handling.

4 Likes

Wish i’d had the forsight to do the same. More irritated by naim/dealer to be fair. Played the " nothing we can do" bit. If it had been an old, beaten amp, but it wasnt.

And rightly so! :exploding_head:

Would that dealer be Geoff by any chance?

1 Like

Errrr. Cant say…

Did you ever get a replacement case?

No. Dealer said that naim had none. They suggested a case from a preamp the dealer had in stock. It didnt fit. Bit surprised that naim and dealer didnt know this before i humped tha amp in. I had no choice but to accept a small reduction.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Naim’s service department used to have a small stash of salvaged cases for earlier CB and Olive kit for addressing just such mishaps but it gradually whittled down over the years, so I assume at some point they eventually had none left.

Is the Olive 180 case the same as the 250?

I’m not sure - could be. I guess it will depend on the location of the thermal coupling/earthing bolt. @NeilS should know for sure.

Yes - same chassis & cover for the 180/250.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

@Richard.Dane could you message me

Sorry to hear that. I’m also afraid of being the victim of such an event which is why I always hand deliver my unit to the dealer and collect. I would hand deliver to the factory but that isn’t possible anymore.

It’s such a bummer because we take such care of the equipment and then our pride and joy is just destroyed by people who don’t seem to care about anything.

My only bit of advice would be - and this isnt very cost effective at all but - wait and bid on another component that you’re willing to strip for the outer shell. You may find a mint shell and then you can swap the cases. I’m always trying to pick up vintage Naim gear. I think I’m becoming obsessive now. Recently I’m really into the old black boxes. Especially the bolt down generation

3 Likes

Got my 52/SC back from service today. They replaced a Simaudio Moon ACE that had seen some temporary service. It is amazing that the Moon replaces 4 preamp/amp boxes and still has streaming dac and phonostage! I forgot the LP12 setup rack so i will connect it during the weekend (need to replace RCA with Din from Urika.

As usual they felt and smelled like new when I picked them up from the boxes! Sounded great direct - I got he feeling of cow being released in the spring after having spent the winter inside. Now I just let it play and settle in.

14 Likes

I’d be interested how you get on with the din replacement @Josaa .
I’ve the same amps as you but just using rca/din convertors from the urika.

I have a Chord Epic from Urika (RCA) to DIN that I will install when I remember to bring the LP12 setup rig. I do not like adaptors as a direct connection should be better than through an adaptor. I have not made any comparsions however.

1 Like

82/180/HC

32 Likes

I don’t know if it’s been posted, but how do I get a physical copy for my gear? Anywhere I can buy? Apologies if it has been posted and I haven’t seen. Regards