Naim Olive

Indeed. My Nait 2 is brilliant with my external phono stage. It’s enough for me these days but trying to have fun with a 72. My Nait 3R is also quite lovable.

I have tried a 180 and 135s. Former not serviced and latter serviced. Did not get on with the 135s and now wondering if I just don’t like regulated amps. Sounds crazy, I know. Still have the 180 but want something better. To be honest, these are all good enough…just looking for the best match.

2 Likes

I am fortunate in having a fair bit of kit lying about to play with. Currently my Nait2 cb has rp3 with mm cart connected and playing through a pair of easy to drive Rega floor standers. Sounds lovely but my Olive hc/62/140 sounds a whole lot better. It is what it is.

I’ve a feeling that the 140 would be just the answer. 72/hi/140 is one of these golden & balanced combinations which has great synergy like the early naits.

Maybe an unserviced one is even better for you than a serviced one since (in my experience) unserviced ones are a bit mellower.

Oh and remove any card from the 72 which is not needed.

2 Likes

Do you (in general) prefer unserviced pre-amps Ardbeg10y?

72/Hicap with 140 or 250 are two classic Naim amplifiers.

The 250 is the better power amplifier (except the black 250.2 which always replayed slow, ponderous bass lines to these cloth ears).

However, if you don’t get on with the 135s, which are a serious upgrade on the 250, then perhaps the 140 is for you.

Re 140 vs Naits, I started with a new Nait 5 in a second system, as it sounded great in the dealer’s room. When we got home, the larger room sucked all the bass away. The dealer replaced the Nait 5 with a used 32.5 and a new 140. So much more capable and musical. We still have that 140 today, though it works with a DAC-V1 and PMC DB1i speakers these days (and the last 12 years).

Unless you need the extra power and control of the 250, the 140 is a super little powerhouse.

Hope this helps, BF

3 Likes

Then you really should try to listen to a (recently serviced/recapped) NAP250.

Not much comes close to that, musically.

Interesting thoughts everyone. Thanks!

If you didn’t like 135s then I doubt 250 is your answer. 140 is probably the right choice in this context. 72/hc/140 has unbeatable synergy. The 180 is a 140 that tries too hard to be a 250.

1 Like

The 72/HC/140 was regarded as a fantastic combination in its time, and with good reason. Just add a pair of Linn Kans for some old style musical zing.

(But the Naim components really need to go back to the Factory for service/recap, if they haven’t had this recently.)

Looks like it’s a 140. I probably shan’t resist the symmetry of three half width cases…in any case.

@anon70766008 , I am in the USA. Thanks for the reminder for us all with this old equipment. I have a nicely rebuilt 72 by Chris West and a recently recapped Olive Hicap. Amps I am looking at have been serviced recently. Btw, my Nait 2 is from Chris as well, which is just pure magic.

I have witnessed courier damage at a dealer friend’s.

I was having a pair of Kudos C10s in a bespoke flame rosewood (old source), and the courier dropped the box, knackering a corner of a speaker cabinet. (These themselves were to replace existing C10s knackered by a teenage party when we parents were away. Ferris Bueller but hifi!)

Kudos and the dealer did offer various repair options, but I was concerned about difference of ageing in sunlight, and touching-in stains. Ended up with light oak!

May I add in a couple of pairs of 135s in an active setup?
These are my preference from the day I first heard them back in the 1980’s.

1 Like

I was wondering, but not too hard, how the new nait 50 compares to a 72/140.
Anyone out there have any real experience?

3 Likes

I’m sure this is here somewhere but speaker cable alternatives for olives? My A5 was acquired used many years ago and its a bit shabby. add to that after a house move my speakers are now much closer to the system than they were so there’s unsightly(I’m informed :rofl:) loops of cable sticking up all over the place even though they’re only the required 3.5m.

@TerryStouses If you can find it second hand, witch hat phantom works with olives. Due to re-arranging my lounge/listening room, I have just replaced my NACA5 with Kudos cable and its nicer IMHO that the NACA5 which is a bit bright for me.

(52/SC/250) + (NDX2/555PS) + (CDS/PS) + Focal standmounts.

1 Like

Loop the cables like this
Naca5_Eights

2 Likes

Was on the verge of ordering some witch hat when they announced that they were looking for new wire supplies(i.e. going bust) Not seen much 2nd hand for sale and,perhaps not surprisingly, what I have seen has made more money than it was new. I’ve seen the Kudos getting good words on the forum but wasn’t sure about its suitability for the older amps :+1:

Can’t do that there’s nowhere for them to go. No space behind the cabinet the gears in or the speakers :+1:

Can’t you move the cabinet little forward and hang the looped cables on the back side of the cabinet ?

No. Th cabinet is open at the end the gear is in then closed behind the cd drawers at the other. I’ve got a six way mains block fastened there with all the system plugged into that to keep them all off the floor.