Naim Olive

We may need a separate thread on ‘the youth of today’. However, generalising is often tricky.

Fwiw, I’ll be 60 in August and still go to gigs. The audience at the Proms or King Crimson is full of people even older than me. However, most at Jon Gomm appeared to be (a) guitarists and (b) half my age.

My girlfriend’s daughter is 23. For Christmas she really wanted a proper turntable to plug into a Nova and Keilidhs. The first test records were Frank and Physical Graffiti. She had grabbed my old copy of PG, not the replacement, and the warp on the second LP caused panic - no lack of ‘proper’ listening here.

She has an RP6 now and is burning through the large vinyl collections of her friends at some speed. Also her ears are a lot better than mine, and listening to more Taylor Swift than Joni Mitchell doesn’t change that.

There is still hope…

3 Likes

And I would be one of them. (Turned 61 in September. Gulp.)

Anyway, back on topic (recycled from last year’s System Pics thread):

14 Likes

Beats the alternative…

2 Likes

Update on Project Olive…

Following brief investigation of - edge grommet strip - managed to locate what was required from RS Components, thanks to @Darran, back in October.

The reason for this : Some of the edge mounted boards inside our Olive NAC72 were missing these top edge protectors. (It seems easy enough to guess how to loose them, they maybe move and slide off inside the Olive shoe box chassis).

Anyway, several weeks later and time to spare…
With a spare afternoon, this Christmas week, finally found a moment to open up the NAC72 again and spend a few moments, on the kitchen table, with the recently acquired length of edge grommet strip…

Cutting the length of edge grommet strip into 20mm lengths.

The new material - edge grommet strips, cut to 20mm, exactly same as originals - added to our clone NA326/1 link boards - shown as the middle PCB cards (two pairs, darker colour).

Note : These same Link or “straight through” cards are installed for source inputs ‘Phono” and “Aux”, from rear panel. This is how we use our Olive NAC72 currently.

This last small addition brings everything inside the Olive NAC72 up to a complete and “as original” condition.
After 3 years or so, think that allows us to say Project Olive is now complete :+1:
For the full story, read this post…

Sincere thanks to @Darran @NeilS and @Richard.Dane for this latest insight.
Plus everyone else from this forum that has contributed knowledge, know how and advice along the way.

Best wishes
R

12 Likes

Sorry to say but I prefer the sound without them.The reason for them was (what I’ve heard )that the boards shouldn’t get lose when shipping.

It’s fair to assume the edge grommet strips prevent the boards from moving.

From just handling them - this afternoon - they seem quite snug “held” between the pins on the motherboard below and the roof of the chassis above. The extra few millimetres of this plastic strip makes that difference.

There is little or no movement with these edge protectors in place.

The problem sound wise is that the boards sits to firmly.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s “a problem”. :thinking:
Maybe more of a preference.
Thanks for expanding and sharing for others to consider too. Allows others to experiment and form conclusions :+1:

Best wishes at Christmas
Happy listening…
R

You do as yo wish of course,I see it as a free upgrade to remove them.

Stomp the beat :+1:
Happy new year !

I’d have done as you @ratrat .
Don’t believe there will be any difference to sound, snake oil, like many things on this forum.
IMHO of course :rofl:

2 Likes

I think the rationale for not using the strips is to prevent vibration in the outer case being coupled to the daughter boards.

Anyway, a wee tip regarding the foot screws when refitting the case outer; They should all thread in easily using only your fingers, with just a fraction of a turn using a screwdriver to finish. Any resistance to the finger tightening means the threads aren’t exactly matching, so swap them around until all wind in easily!

4 Likes

That’s exactly how I’ve always found this.
Just to add…
It takes a few moments of fiddling to get all four screw threads perfectly aligned. (Inner sled to outer chassis) Then, as you suggest, the four screws tend to go in easily, by hand.

2 Likes

Yes,that is probably the technical explanation to why it sounds better without the strips.
I also agree about the foot screws and also good not to over tight them.

gorgeous green stack!

1 Like

This thread was instrumental in getting me back to Naim. 5 months ago I had nothing, grabbed a 72, then a 140. Was happy for a few weeks, then added a HiCap. Month or so later I added a Naim DAC V1. Swapped out the 140 for a 250, happy for a while and just found an 82 to replace the 72.
Now I have enough parts for a second system. Happy to be back in the fold after selling the 32.5 and a 110 to fund a child.

14 Likes

Thats how it starts.

1 Like

Golden rule.

Never replace a 72…

:grin:

8 Likes

Not planning to sell it.

2 Likes

And now you “need” :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: a Supercap to power the 82.

The Hicap can move to the second system.

“Resistance is futile” “You will be assimilated”

1 Like

It would even things out.