Naim on delay with equipment delivery

They should not give up hope. I was told just last week mine would arrive in August.

I think it’s across the board - noting how many lenses have gone from the Canon portfolio .

I tried to order a Pioneer Universal Disc player last year, in the end the dealer let me have their demo (and it’s a lovely player 0f Blu Ray)

Yes, it’s a very fluid situation - we want to set realistic expectations, with the hope things may improve as component stocks arrive etc. The factory is still on full production (within Covid-safe working conditions), and more supplies are being secured every day.

5 Likes

Long before your time Clare, but this reminds of the shortages that occurred in the mid-seventies (political rather than pandemic) but if you need 200 components and only have 199 it ain’t getting made

I remember the horror of British Leyland when the plastics firm I worked for couldn’t supply yet in turn we were facing shortages

3 Likes

Ah yes, the oil crisis. When Naim was founded in 1973 they faced having to work around power cuts and the three-day week!
Right now it’s a perfect storm of issues, on a global level. To mix metaphors, it’s a rollercoaster - for every bit of good news you get re securing components, you get news that a supplier’s had to temporarily halt production due to a Covid outbreak, for example!
But we’re working our way through it, and many, many Naim products are still winging their way around the world.

Amazing to see the shortages of all different kinds of products - from Cadbury’s Flakes to contact lens solution to cement. Thankfully we don’t rely on any of them :wink:

3 Likes

Surely, one relies on Cadbury’s Flakes!

5 Likes

It’s a lot easier to get a Cadbury’ s Flake at the moment though.

Not much need for an Alps potentiometer with one of those!

There is a shortage of 99 Flakes, the small ones, Cadbury’s misjudged demand.
Don’t miss Clare’s subtle hint that the next product is the Naim 99.

2 Likes

I heard today at a local boat shop that epoxy resin (required for fabrication with composites such as glass and carbon fibre) is in short supply. Apparently the factory in the USA stopped production due to covid-19, weather, etc. They tried to start up again only to find that their own suppliers of the materials to make the resin had similarly ceased production.

To make matters worse, customers were wanting to buy more than usual to build up their own stocks to avoid the dependency on shipping to deliver just in time.

Further, within the last few days, China has partially closed one of the world’s largest ports due to a covid-19 outbreak among port staff.

It’s going to take a while for the global supply chain to settle into a new normal.

5 Likes

For best results, use the Naim 99 with one or more proprietary Flaics. Note also that Flaics are directional, but good luck working out which end is which.

9 Likes

5 Likes

About 4 notes in I could tell the difference between the Nova and Atom. And I loved the Atom.

7 Likes

I’ve had a 250 on order for over 3 months now in New Zealand. It’s now not looking likely to be provided before my dealers license for selling Naim expires at the end of the month. If I then want a new one, it will be through a new dealer and back to the end of the queue unless they can get stock from Australia. I might just stay with using the SN2 as a power amp or wait for a good used one to with my 252. It’s a pretty disappointing situation for getting Naim in NZ.

2 Likes

Ouch

1 Like

Yes, a very disappointing situation for Naim customers who have invested heavily in the brand.

1 Like

Fingers crossed that it is resolved within 27 days .

2 Likes

Off course, the 252 was bought knowing a 250 was coming with it……

1 Like

That sucks.

ugh…well…it could be you end up saving a chunk on a pre-owned one. I’d have zero reservations about buying Naim used if it was the model I wanted.

1 Like

Yes, the 252 and SC DR are used, but we’re ordered with a new 250……