Naim owners Artwork

What do we think of the new portrait of The King then?

I feel it’s a terrific piece but rather a lot of red! And I don’t tend to go for red artworks.

6 Likes

I like it. I would imagine it would make more sense visually looking at it “in the flesh” it’s quite a large painting.

2 Likes

A cross-breed of Karajan and Telson-Thomas…? :slight_smile:

A good likeness, and a successfully different style of portraiture. I like it.

2 Likes

Refreshing portrait. Not one for anyone who thinks a portrait should look like a photograph. Red suggests he’s concerned about the planet and the butterfly suggests fragility. Clever stuff imo.

6 Likes

I like it too, although I’m not 100% convinced by the hands.

1 Like

Ah…The AI giveaway.

G

1 Like

I dunno, you can tell that signet isn’t coming off without some wire cutters…

1 Like

The portrait will be in view at the Philip Mould gallery until the 14th June.

1 Like

Here’s one of the original pieces of art which accompany each of the eight tracks on Adam Nutter’s guitar instrumental album, Badlands on Fire. Helps with side reflections too :slight_smile: That one is Timefall.

6 Likes

Can’t help but feel that the argument is misplaced, less about how ‘unflattering’ her portrait is and more about, well he’s not all that as a representative artist! (Imo of course…)

3 Likes

Your words are polite compared to some of the comments I’ve read – especially if the cultural aspects were reversed.

1 Like

We’ll tbf, I did consider the context within my comments…

“Unflattering” is certainly the gentlest of criticisms🙄

Maybe she’s leading a very decadent life?

Willy.

I think it’s awful. Just don’t get it. Aesthetically awful, awful colour, awful hands. The only bit that isn’t 100% awful is the face, but even that looks too hard/etched.

She’s an over entitled rich bitch. If you start giving in to assholes like her where does it stop. Thankfully both the gallery and the government have stood fast and refused to remove it.

Censoring this puts all artist (including cartoonist and students) at risk.

2 Likes

Yes but art is about expression and not always about beauty. But there something deeper going here if you want references not only Google her but her father Lang Hancock. His views on First Nations people is well documented.

And what’s next jackboots kicking down the doors and hey it’s 1930’s all over again.

6 Likes

Oh, I have no views on the politics here Pete and I absolutely get that art is interpretive. I just didn’t like the picture and I believe that portraits should at least be illustrative of the subject.
Looking at this portrait next to a photo of the subject, I find it extremely difficult to see the person in the product. :man_shrugging:t2:

I get that but it doesn’t give you the right to demand to have it removed. She’s a public figure who’s made zillions out of mining often destroying native land. Stupid cow has actually made more people see it by whinging.

5 Likes