Naim To Share Manufacturing

All Brits now sing the refrain:

“All in all, it’s just another nail in the coffin….” cue DG trademark guitar break :grin:

6 Likes

For me most importantly, I trust what they do. I have a feeling that this is beneficial for Naim, the customers and the employees.

2 Likes

FIFY

6 Likes

Be interesting to see if in the future the Salisbury build items retain more value… he says eagerly waiting for cut price new Eu classic!

4 Likes

It seems like there’d be some opportunity for quality expansion in the states with the former NANA folks but I’m not up to speed on Naim’s manufacturing process requirements.

Could you elaborate on that? :slight_smile:

So does this mean Naim production at the Focal site?

The technical euphemism is “technology transfer”.

The cynical version is………well, I’m sure you can extrapolate

No

1 Like

100% agreed

1 Like

Hi Richard, hopefully NOT France. Employment laws there make it virtually impossible to get rid of people or close down a factory economically when compared with the cost and ease of doing this in the UK.

I can understand the issues Naim may face with selling into Europe and the need for greater production capacity, but, if or when there is a lull in demand the management would need to carefully consider the economics of which unit is cut back.

At this point who actually owns or controls the company ma well be an important factor, as would be the economics of which is cheaper to cut back on.

Other UK hifi companies seem to have coped with expansion and sales success in the past without having to produce abroad.

I wish NAIM success with its production expansion but would have hoped a UK company could have found a site in the UK.

I have nothing against purchasing items made in France, is purely a concern for the future of Naim.
I assume the designed AND made in Salisbury badge will have to be amended !

4 Likes

The reality is naim could have found somewhere in the UK but have chosen not to, this will be because of cost. So I think France and Germany are right out lol.

6 Likes

When will it be official on where more specifically? After all EU regulations require site of manufacturing to be official.

To be fair though, isn’t the Muso range manufactured “off shore”?

And they’re all OK, aren’t they?

Britain isn’t the largest market for audio, even if it is (is it?) for Naim. It certainly won’t be a growth market for them. People outside Britain, me included, don’t care that it’s specifically British. I care about the history, the quality and the support. A few here seemed to have switched from Naim to AccuPhase recently, a brand that has a similar reputation for those things.

Of course this does depend and Naim being able to keep the important bits of their image, which are the quality and support, not the factory address. Whether they will only time will tell.

I doubt it. If you’re going to set up a factory somewhere else anyway you might as well go somewhere where labor is (a bit) cheaper and more easily available. My guess would be somewhere further east like Poland.

2 Likes

I believe dealers and distributors have been told about the plans.

So sell off the Southampton Road factory, and buy back Salt Lane!

Back to the roots, as it were :slight_smile:

Not before I’ve had a fish and chips there!

1 Like

Well, I am sure we will find out soon enough… Even if Naim won’t tell us.

Meet you there!!!

The toast would be “For absent friends”