Naim Turntable?

Well…it’s done then! More seriously…
If NAIM were to market a TT, I would have thought that the company ethos would be for this to be at the ‘high-end’. I doubt that many high-end TT owners would switch over to such a TT unless there were very good reasons to do so. Therefore, in order for a NAIM TT to sell in numbers, the market would need to catch up with the product, a process which would take a number of years (for people to start at a lower level and to upgrade through various levels). I, personally, do not think this would be a viable proposition. I conceed that neither of my professions were in business!

It’s worth remembering that in many ways Naim did make turntables, or at least parts of turntables, for many years. They made the Armageddon based around the basic Linn LP12 motor unit, but adding Naim ARO tonearm, NAPSA PSU, and internal phono stage, and then in conjunction with their German distributor at the time, the Phonosophie P3, taking the basic motor unit of the Thorens 2001 but modified with Naim ARO tonearm, Naim P3 PSU etc…

2 Likes

I have an LP12, I’m not interested in a Naim TT.

Now a Naim cassette deck or R2R – that’s a completely different matter… :sunglasses:

My dealer has claimed that at one time he was offering JV’s personal model, with black plastic blanking covers in the plinth that allowed access to different sockets for different power supplies…

There’s a fair bit more which could be included within your list e.g. Linn’s flagship & expensive CD12 which, from all the feedback and reviews I’ve read, isn’t a patch on a CD555. I may be partisan and have a fading memory but Linn’s CD players didn’t grab the market like Naim’s, borne largely from quality of replay (I wonder if Linn’s veered towards being thin and analytical in presentation, which is how I hear their ‘house sound’ now).

The ‘falling out’ as it’s sometimes coined between Naim & Linn wasn’t, I understand, as dramatic as these words may suggest (I think Richard has explained this on occasions) - just a parting of producing optional components for the LP12, noting many, many others have followed in Naim’s footsteps and, arguably, Linn have been reactive rather than proactive in enhancing the LP12 over the years, which has left the door ajar for others.

History tells the tale of a shrinking vinyl marketplace and where better to be than in quality amps and CD players. I suspect a retrospective analysis of financials wouldn’t be pretty.

Still chaps it’s kept us busily interested during the day hasn’t it. I kinda agree that streaming is definitely the front end of now and the foreseeable future. I jumped into it first with an ND5XS as part of my main system downstairs and more latterly a Superuniti BT upstairs in the bedroom (ironically seemingly the system my missus and I now mostly use).
So my CD5XS now mainly gathers dust on the rack and when socially distanced friends pop around (after a few drinks) it really is the Vinyl that gets played (backed up by the streamer…and Tidal).
So it’s an incredibly small survey group admittedly but it seems like improved streamers, with more flexibility embedded for future streaming platforms (so like my 2017 Superuniti can’t get Qubuz) and a cool turntable are on the ‘can you do it please’ list.
Headphones???

Funnily enough… Phonosophie is source of above mock up.

I’ve noticed recently in most of the magazines were Technics has re-entered the market for both amps and turntables. I can imagine that a lot of thought would have to be given to enter a market full of turntable manufacturers would require someone to figure out how to distinguish themselves from the rest.

But Technics has a TT history and a brand, has the DJ tables, and is part of the Panasonic Corporation

An interesting thread from my perspective.
My source timeline…
1970’s/80’s - Turntable supplemented by FM tuner and cassette(!)
1990’s/2000’s - TT and CD plus FM
2010’s - FLAC streamer supplemented by TT plus FM
2020 - FLAC plus internet radio and TT

I like vinyl for historic reasons. I spent much of my youth in record shops and love LP sleeves but if all my records were in FLAC I would probably ditch them. I should explain that CD is still used for archive/transfer to FLAC purposes but never for direct playback.

Spile… You should try Tidal (£20/month) or Qubuz (£15/month) then like me you can store all your CD’s and Vinyl in the loft!

I was sceptical until a couple of years ago when a complete audio nutcase mate of mine introduced Tidal to us one boozy evening. My missus was amazed at the ease that we found albums and artists and asked me…why can’t we do this? That was it…an ND5XS was added to the system with a Tidal account (which also has the benefit of playing more or less anywhere from my phone).
So no more hunting around for CDs it’s all at our fingertips :+1:

The Techy 1200 was never a DJ table. It was designed for and originally sold as a hifi turntable.
The fact that the quality of build and robustness led it to be taken up by DJ’s speaks volumes about the quality, easy setup and longevity. (Amongst other things).
Imagine DJ’s using LP12’s. It would take the a week or so set the damn things up. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Aside from any question over sound wuality, if, as Spile indicated applies to him/her, CDs have been ripped to electronic store, that is more reliable than online streaming if you are anywhere with variable or poor Internet performance), requires no subscription, and is not subject to the provider’s business model or licensing agreements which can lose things from the catalogue. It is also no less easy or convenient than online streaming.

Fortunately I have a very fast broadband speed 80-90mbps and a networked house so never get drop outs. I really couldn’t be asked to spend days ripping our 1200 plus CD collection to a server so Tidal is our most convenient method of music access.

Granted it’s not for everyone and if you have the time available (we don’t as always busy doing other things) then maybe ripping your own library is a cheaper option.

We have around 200 CD’s that are unavailable to stream now-days handily stored should we need them but more or less anything and everything we want to listen too is available using Tidal. I could pretty much swear it sounds better than CD too.

That is very possible: streaming from own store likewise, indeed with less potential for negative effects than online. Of course many people stream online quite happily, some exclusively, which is great for those it suits and for whom it works without issues - my post was simply to point out that it may not be the panacea for everyone.

Hi CW and responders, just found you cant change a poll after 5 minutes has past, so lets forget the Aro part.

Dear god, no… Awful format

2 Likes

Naim Radiogram???

That’s a web photo by the way I haven’t got one lol! This is a photo of the exact model (Ferguson 3366) that my parents had in the '70s. Mind you it got me into music…not sure my Father totally appreciated the Floyd and Led Zep I played on it :rofl:

Garrard TT mind you plus FM tuner. I seem to remember my mother constantly polishing it.

2 Likes

My parents had a similar one, and yes, got me into music too!

Martin,

I noticed from your Bio you’ve got an ND5XS 2

How are you finding it?? I’ve got an earlier ND5XS so have Tidal but no Qubuz. Which service do you use mate??
Cheers. Garry