Naim Uniti Nova PE edition

Bjorn, I think even Naim would concede here that for best performance they still prefer their regular Class AB amplification - IIRC Steve posted as much on here. However, Class D can sound really very good indeed, and thanks to its much higher efficiency is ideal in situations where you want a lot of power in a small enclosure, such as here with the Nova PE, something not really practicable or perhaps even possible without much greater size and cost with their usual Class AB amplification.

13 Likes

I presume you mean manufacture using class AB. That simply does not hold up as “proof” that AB is superior - all it tells you is that class D has not [yet] been widely adopted and/or accepted. Change happens slowly, and it takes a long time for a new technology to become refined enough and develop into good products, especially when manufacturers have to battle against inertia and prejudice in implementing any major change.

N.B I have no personal view on whether or not any class D amp sounds better than any equivalent price class A/B amp as I have never heard a hifi class D, and certainly never done a comparison. But I have an open mind as to the possibility that It might be possible for it to match or beat. And, of significance, at least one person on here has noted that they have heard Nova PE and found no significant difference in sound from the standard, class AB, Nova, which is all there is to go on at this point.

3 Likes

I think we are done with this question, see Richard’s answer above. I’ll settle for that.

I think that’s a super genuine and the best summary post I’ve read on here, including the previous thread. I also do remember those comments from Steve.

1 Like

Well, i was thinking of buying the PE but i’ve been put off now, don’t think i’ll bother now.

Most people who seem really upset about the Nova PE on here, haven’t actually heard it what so ever? Very strange……

11 Likes

Well, for me it did sound as good as it looks!

8 Likes

Then there’s the other lot who “want to reduce the box count”. You can’t please all the people……………

3 Likes

One thing for sure, there’s always something for someone to moan about here on the Naim forum.
If Naim had done nothing at all and launched nothing new at all we’d be moaning about their lack of forward thinking or investment!
We’ve really been spoilt in the last year or so in terms of products and the range evolving and being refined.
Looking at it from any angle and budget, Naim has a product for almost any requirement.

9 Likes

That was true in 2007. Not in 2024.

4 Likes

According to Chat GPT.

The choice between Class D and Class AB amplifier technologies depends on the specific application and requirements.

Class D amplifiers are more efficient and generate less heat, making them suitable for applications where power efficiency is critical, such as portable devices, automotive audio systems, and high-power subwoofers. However, they may not provide the same level of audio fidelity as Class AB amplifiers.

Class AB amplifiers are known for their high-quality audio reproduction and low distortion, making them ideal for applications where audio quality is paramount, such as professional audio systems, studio monitors, and high-end home audio systems. However, they are less efficient and generate more heat than Class D amplifiers.

Ultimately, the best amplifier technology depends on the specific requirements of the application, including power efficiency, audio quality, and cost.

I do not have an issue with a lot of Class D sound really. There are a lot of really great sounding amplifiers out there, and have been, that are more than fine.

Where I do have a little issue with it, as many manufactures these days buy in from various module makers products(Insert your favorite one), and you do not know what longevity/availability of boards or parts can be. Throw in various switch-mode power supplies that aren’t easily repaired at times, and it becomes a bit of a question for long term in my mind.

I realize this can be any company these days, but typically Naim has designed and built their own amplifiers/power supplies, and have controlled their own longevity with parts etc. Will this continue to be the case as things move along? I also must say here, I do not know exactly how Naim will manage these sorts of things, hopefully they will manage as well as they always have.

I only bring this up as I have owned a few class D amplifiers that used well-known modules and power supplies, and three of them have failed-(or have gone out of business), in roughly 3-4 years time, and cannot be repaired by the manufacture any more, or is cost prohibitive to do so. A lot of the class A/B parts are going to be around for awhile, and just seem a bit more “robust”. Again, not trying to paint the class D issues with a great, broad brushstroke but, there you go. I will not name those companies either, as I am not here to flame them. I have had great service/longevity out of my Naim amplifiers, and for that matter, most of their equipment. Lets hope the “New” class D will be a great thing not only for the PE, but whatever comes along in the future.

1 Like

As I understand it Chat GPT only averages and regurgitates what it finds on a scan of the internet, and cannot distinguish fact from fiction. No doubt its trawl includes places like this forum, where there are repetitive posts by the same people expressing negativity despite not haven’t heard or might only have heard early implementations…

11 Likes

Correct. It delivers the “popular opinion”. It doesn’t actually understand facts. If you quizz it about an esoteric subject you are an expert in you can see all sorts of errors presented as fact.

Back on topic, I can’t fathom why this product is such a lightning rod.

1 Like

I’m very reluctant to add anything after the fate of the last thread. Hopefully a bit of reasonable debate and discussion is valuable, and might even be useful to Naim to read what devotees/forum members think.

For me I was initially surprised that Naim worked to integrate 3rd party modules, not that I had any concerns about class D itself. My assumption was that they could do class D as well as anyone. Some really useful pointers on the deleted thread encouraged me to do a bit of research. Probably only enough to be dangerous, rather than useful :wink: I discovered some of the history of class D in audio and now understand a bit more why 3rd party modules make sense. I also suspect the way you integrate them makes a fair difference, e.g. the power supply, and can imagine that Naim do a good job there, as they do with the NP800 streaming module in its various installations.

The serviceability point above by @Frazeur1 is a good one. I assume Naim would prefer to swap any failed modules straight out. But the modules that you can see online do appear to contain components readily removed and replaced if you’re skilled in such things, as Naim service are. Perhaps if it came to it Naim would undertake work on the modules themselves if full board replacements were no longer available. Lots of “what ifs” there though! And I’m really not wishing early failure of amp modules on anyone!!!

The Nova PE probably isn’t for me. But what is beginning to be more and more intriguing is the prospect of a Naim pre feeding active (possibly class D driven) speakers. Particularly given the background of active speaker modules manufactured by some of the main class D protagonists, and as used by some fairly demanding speaker designers and companies now. To be specific, Troels Gravesen uses class D modules in some bass modules and has also done so on active monitors in the past. Plus the thread on the recent Proac developments is really interesting, class D active speakers vs NAP250/300 driven could be a comparison feeding Focal and Naim R&D right now!

Fingers crossed this thread can remain, as I’m genuinely interested in the developments, the engineering and the impacts on the hifi systems that might result.

What it comes down to for me is that a company known for its amplifier design, manufacture and sustainment is making more changes to their core business involving third parties - that is discussion worthy, as long as we can all remain civil about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe Naim chipped in on the old thread to confirm they don’t use “modules” at all. They use a Purifi designed circuit directly in the main Naim Nova PCB. Which I think is way cool.

5 Likes

Ooh, ok, I recall that post but didn’t quite read it that way. Agree it’s great if they’ve done that! Suggests that serviceability ought to be more straightforward too :slight_smile:

Insane price, nothing more. If anything this thing should have been cheaper than a nova surely.

4 Likes

Linn use Class D amplifiers in their DSMs.

Also they use SMPS, even in the new Klimax Solo 800 amplifiers.

DG…

1 Like

Yep, I know, for the record I have nothing against class D! Or Linn!! :smiley: