Naim Uniti Nova PE edition

Adding a 400watt class D amp to my Nova is a huge upgrade. Incredible dynamics and as smooth as silk
Having a T9X sub as well is the icing although the amp has almost made the sub redundant

The PE surely should be offering a bit more juice from the goose.

Yes, if it suits you so go ahead :person_shrugging:

To be very clear: Everyone can think exactly what they want about Naim and class D, my post was just about the simple fact that if you want the best sound, class AB is used. This is simple fact as stated by Naim. Now I don’t want one more rude or derogatory comment, hope this is clear!

Confused. Do you have a Nova PE? No mention in your profile.
Thread drift perhaps? Nova + external amp is hardly a Nova PE - real experience would be interesting!

Yes I have a Nova.
I added a Nord Power Amo too it. So yes it’s very similar to Nova SE same class D amp although way more powerful and it sounds smoother than previously

Will is sound better than a Nova SE ? I think so. It would be an interesting test for sure.

Unless my memory is incorrect, calling the Nova PE by crude names isn’t a good look either though?

Don’t be such a prude! It’s a great name.

One thing you have failed to recognise in your statements like this, and that is the factor of cost. That may well be true in absolute terms, but when somebody wants the best sound for a particular sum of money, AB might not be best. Naim’s statement to which you referred was, I think, speaking in absolute terms: I’m not sure they meant at a given price point quite some way below the higher echelons.

So, as you insist on your view veinv right, perhaps you would be good enough to give an example for somebody who wants to spend the cost of Nova PE and wants the best sound for that money, including all the functions that the Nova gives, and with sufficient power/grip to manage make speakers that presenting a difficult load really sing well - I.e. What similarly functional system with a class AB amp sounds better than the Nova into such speakers? And, more than that, what if the person wants a one-box system, as seems popular these days?

3 Likes

Can you please link to this statement? I’d be interested to read exactly what was written.

Myself, I don’t principally care what the technology used is, and I have heard Class D beating AB, just not at the pricepoint we’re talking here yet. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible, technology is evolving, what wasn’t possible yesterday, might be today. Let’s wait and see, or should I say, listen.

1 Like

If class D is so good, why wasn’t Naim using it earlier?

1 Like

IB… I’m done with this question. Done. Have a nice evening now.

They actually were. Muso, NVi et cetera. Technology has moved on and hence Naims appreciated dip in the pond.

1 Like

Your choice… But regardless, have a good evening yourself :blush:

1 Like

Does anyone know what headphone amp is in the Uniti Nova PE? Would it be a safe bet to say that it is from the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition? I do enjoy a late night bit of listening to my headphones, so not to disturb the neighbours.

I recently had the chance to listen to the NAD M33, an all-in-one equipped with that dreadful class D Purify amplifier. I approached this thing with the enthusiasm of a dog being dragged to the vet. What a disgusting piece of …kit. After all, why bother with anything less than my spectacular does-it-all 300DR, right?

Give class D a fair go, you might be surprised. I still wouldn’t buy the NAD M33, it doesn’t boogie enough for me, although it rocked my PMC 25.23 in a way the 300DR never will.

4 Likes

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but I am not sure the word “fact” means what you think it means.

A fact is an immutable truth. But there are very few sources of true facts. It is a fact that Naim think AB ultimately delivers better results than D. It is not necessarily a fact that AB is better than class D. Similarly, makers of $20K class D amps are not trying to fool the stupid unsuspecting consumer, nor or they staffed by imbeciles. Just as Naim think AB is ultimately superior, those other makers think class D may be ultimately superior. Or more accurately, Naim and other manufacturers believe their preferred class plays to their own engineering strengths best.

At a very low level, there are facts which are the laws of elecromagnetism that govern all of this I suppose. There are facts of how protocols work. But as for correct product design - not even close.

For example, I agree with Naim that AB is, all things equal, better than class D. But I do not think that is even remotely close to an established “fact”. And certainly it is not true for every manufacturer with their different engineering strengths and weaknesses.

7 Likes

Thanks for your input regarding the NAD M33, and the fact is uses Class D Amplification. I’m not familiar with the NAD and how it sounds, but with regards to how it drove your PMC 25,23 speakers, i find very interesting.

When listening to the Unity Nova PE, I was impressed with how easily it drove the focal Sopra No 2’s with complete ease. The sound was smooth and punchy, with great dynamics, and a sweet top end to my 50yr old ears, and I found the sound highly enjoyable as a complete package.

I can only go to an all in one system, as much as i do like separates, the Unity fits the bill for what I’m looking for in the front living room.

The good thing about Naim audio, as other people have said on here, there is something for everyone.

4 Likes

These two Nova PE threads have been like seeing a car accident. You don’t want to watch but you can’t look away.

11 Likes

If Naim can smash out 150rms into 8 ohms from a shoebox and it sounds great why not?
The worlds is a small place, wages need top be paid we need them to be competitive in that space. Well done Naim audio!
Plus the fact that gain from that product can be put into a new 500 replacement! Big picture guys, enough tall poppy. Celebrate
“he who dare wins” rock on and enjoy the music while you can.

5 Likes

To all I know, it’s a Nova with replaced power amp section.
Everything else is 1:1 like in the original Nova. (Except seemingly for a missing SD card slot, judging from the pictures of the backside.)

1 Like

Surely naim is not still selling CI kit with like HDX software still in it?