Nait 3R - Incoming

My partner has just bagged a nice looking pre-loved Naim Nait 3R, on eBay UK…!!

Hopefully, it will arrive next week and can then be tested. Its likely to then go to Sheffield to see @Darran at Class A for a service… :slightly_smiling_face:

It has 522N boards already fitted, so thats a plus…!!!

17 Likes

Very nice! It looks to be in very nice cosmetic condition.

I bought one off eBay a few years back but sadly it got totally trashed because the seller ignored my packing advice. Back it went. I was gutted!

2 Likes

Looks lovely :ok_hand:t3:

I’ve not heard of a 3R, but the only Olive kit I’ve ever owned is the CD2 and know hardly anything about the Naits (went from CB to OC, with a long gap between).

1 Like

This one still has its original Naim box , so should be OK to ‘travel’ safely.

It has all its Link plugs and its Instructions.

All Link Plugs present & correct…!!

Confused by there being 3 Link plugs. The Manual only shows 2…?

My mate had a Nait 3 before moving on to 102/HC/180. Really enjoyed listening to that Nait, a gutsy little amp, not the last word in refinement but full of groove.

3 Likes

It looks like it’s had the Nait3 split kit fitted. Originally the pre and power sections would have been linked internally, but IIRC, there was a dealer fit kit available to add the extra DIN4 socket to the power amp board. It’s now linked externally by the Flexi link plug

4 Likes

@james_n - Thank you. That explains it…!!

Assume that is the left most Link Plug…?

1 Like

Yes, that’s the power amp in socket. This would allow flexibility like the later integrated amps. You could use it with a Flatcap connected via a SNAIC5 to the middle DIN5 and then return the signal to the power amp in socket (left) via a SNAIC4.

1 Like

The Nait 3 was my first Naim amp. Partnered with a CD3.5 and FC it was a pretty special setup. Congratulations. What components with they be using with the Nait3? None of the Naits I’ve heard since have the magic the little Nait 3 has.

2 Likes

She already has a pre-loved Rega Planar 3 (with a Goldring MM) and an ex-dem Naim CD5si. Speakers are Wharfedale Diamonds. Amp is a Rega Brio, at present.

A nice little system - which hopefully, will become a little nicer still… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Nait3 vs the Brio. I have a Brio that my daughter was using with a P1 and my IBLs. Didn’t sound great to be honest as the IBLs really need much better up front. The Nait3 might work better with them being from the same era.

2 Likes

The Nait 3R will need to arrive and may need a service… :thinking:

But I will report back, when I can.

2 Likes

Outstanding. What is your partner going to pair it with?

1 Like
2 Likes

The Nait 3R has been delivered, to my partner… :slightly_smiling_face:

Testing expected either today or tomorrow… or both… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

My now ex-wife had a Nait 3 and a Rega Planet when I met her 23 years ago. I was impressed. Great little kit.

1 Like

I am going the opposite way around…

My partner had a ‘music centre’ style unit, but with Wharfedale Diamond speakers. This was upgraded with a pre-loved Rega Planar 3 and an ex-dem Naim CD5si (both sourced from a well know Leicester shire dealer…).

The Nait 3R is the next step… :wink:

2 Likes

The Nait 3R has arrived. And… its dead… :thinking:

Checked both the rear panel fuse and the mains plug fuse - both were OK.
There were no lights on on the front panel. Tried signals into several inputs - nothing.

This Nait 3R has been 'split - so its sections can be used separately, if the Link plugs are all removed. So… I did that - and fed a HiCap into its 5 pin 270 degree. Bingo. Lights on, responded to switches.

Have just now ‘inserted’ it into my system with HiCap and 250 - and its working. Yay…!

My guess is that there is something amiss with the Power Amp/PS section, which has killed the supply to the Pre Amp section. Powering the Pre section results in full function.

So… I think it needs to go north, to see @Darran at Class A, as soon as possible.

2 Likes

The Ser No is 113xxx suggesting a 1995 build. Probably never been serviced…?

Have now emailed Darran to arrange for him to look at it… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like