Nait 3R - Incoming

FlatCap update. Picture below -

All looks OK - but - it still refuses to power up.

The mains fuse was good - OK its a 5 Amp, but it works.

Fitted a 2 amp fuse to the fuse holder - yes, I know it should be a 1 amp - and it blew straight away.

My partner already has some T1AL fuses (1 amp, slow blow/anti surge) on order - which are the correct type. Will try one of these once they arrive, just to be sure.

Otherwise, its a job for @Darran at Class A… :slightly_smiling_face:

I keep pressing like on that suggestion, but it only registers once :confused: :wink:

1 Like

Lets continue to… persist with this idea.

It would make (IMO) a huge amount of sense. Rather than to have to search on the web. There are a few places such as Class A (HiFi Repairs) or AV Options, who both have ‘some’ archive manuals, but neither has a complete ‘set’.

And - it would - surely - be good for Naim.

Plus Naim, for I assume good reason, seem unable to prioritise fixing that sort of thing on the website. Given they officially support this forum maybe they should just cut their losses/stop trying to do something they clearly cannot maintain, and let this place fix it. Though having said that I’m aware it is kinda making work for the moderation team (a team possibly of just one!) and I’m not sure the forum platform can host PDF files. Anyway, polite and persistent pressure might lead to some results!

To add, I’d happily help the moderators with this sort of thing of it turns out to be doable but onerous.

2 Likes

Might be missing something, but if the corporate website is subject to change with loss of older resources, it might be fantastic for this site to hold actual PDFs or PDF type scans of older manuals for posterity in the FAQ section.

It would be an official repository of useful documents which may be difficult to include in an active ‘current lineup’ website going forwards when designs change.

2 Likes

@gthack @Alley_Cat - Thanks for your positive replies.

Somehow, I just feel this idea, will get kicked into the long grass (*), just outside the Salisbury factory…

Happy to proved wrong though… :crazy_face:

(* - I think I read that the hosting of some older Manuals on the HiFiRepairs website was a ‘work around’ as Salisbury either wouldn’t or couldn’t do this)

2 Likes

Can we embed PDFs in posts here? If so, a thread with user contributions could be invaluable with users working together to upload manuals for older products.

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. But jpgs, we can - so pictures. Messy, but works.

(I have posted short extracts from Naim manuals as jpgs, before).

PS. Nice to see plenty of Can Do…!!!

1 Like

If the forum software is Discourse, which I think it is, then it can do PDFs in posts

1 Like

It looks to be all original too so it’s due a service to get back to proper performance.

My guess is that part of the bridge rectifier (the small black square thing) has failed short circuit causing excessive current draw through the transformer - hence popping the fuse.

1 Like

Its Ser No dates it to 1994. Well overdue…

It’s a nice idea, and one I have asked about in the past, but I’ve been told before that there are reasons (that I’m not entirely privy to) why it’s not possible.

2 Likes

IMO, it would be a better way of doing things, that resorting to ‘work arounds’ - such as - say - posting (complete) manuals as a series of pictures (as jpgs, which the Forum supports). Which could be done right now. And is - but rarely of a full manual.

Or - for copies of pdf’s of complete manuals being either circulated ‘privately’, off the Forum - or hosted, off Forum (like those that Class A already have).

I wonder if its really ‘not possible’ - or is rather… not ‘preferred’ or desired… by Naim Audio…?

Maybe you could re-ask - in this specific context…?

More likely some intellectual property issue.

1 Like

That would be my guess.

Doesn’t seem to be of concern to Boothroyd Stuart though. The user-curated (unofficial) Hitchhikers Guide to Meridian is stuffed full of useful info, manuals, photos……

The Flatcap has now (just) headed north, to @Darran at Class A.
Verdict awaited… :thinking:

But… meanwhile… a full set of Black SNAIC’s, 4 & 5, have been enticed in…!!
The SNAIC4 is in situ, in the NAIT 3R, between pre & power. The SNAIC5 was tested on my 82/HiCap/250 set up - and worked… :expressionless:

My ‘spare’ Grey SNAIC’s are returning to their slumbers in my spares collection…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I always liked the original grey interconnect cable between my CD3 and NAC 92 over the upgraded lavender of that time. The newer black ‘upgraded’ SNAICs that came along were always preferred in my experience, regardless of any system changes of the Olive era. Looking forward to the turnout. Hope all turns out well once up and running and in full fettle.:ok_hand:

1 Like

Thank you. The system already sounds good with the Nait 3R ‘as is’ (un-serviced).

As the FC was dead, its gone off first. Once that’s fixed and returned, further plans may be made…!

(I may drop my 140 in, just to try, with the Nait 3 pre and FC…)

1 Like

Just had the call that you never want to have, regarding your Naim unit.

The Flatcap is dead - because the Mains Transformer has failed, short circuit - and there are no replacements available. (I was told that its the same transformer as the Nait 3.)

:expressionless: :slightly_frowning_face: :angry:

Any ideas or suggestions welcome…

Bad luck! I recall finding the remains of a box of either NAIT 3 or CD3 transformers while we were searching for something else in the factory stores. Of course, that was 20 years ago, so I guess if there aren’t any then Naim must have needed to make space and, knowing that a Tx failure is quite rare, decided to send them off to scrap? Maybe @NeilS knows…

I guess the Flatcap will be winging its way back to the seller?

1 Like