Nait 3R - Incoming

Its tricky. It was sold as (copied from eBay UK listing) -

Item description from the seller

Naim Flatcap - Power Supply - Olive

This is sold “For parts or not working” since I have not means to test it any longer. It been in warm storage for a few year but was working fine when it was put there, but as mentioned I can not verify it and therefore it’s sold as For parts or not working.

Its currently still with @Darran at Class A. He reported his findings earlier today.
Darran says that such a failure is rare.

I had thought that the unit was worth a go - that is was unlikely to be totally dead. But… I was wrong… sadly… :slightly_frowning_face:

Can the transformer not be rewound?

Yes, in theory. But my guess is the cost would be significant. Who would do it…?

Oh that is bad luck indeed. Sounds like it was a worthwhile risk to take, and the FC has suffered a very rare failure. I can’t recall many mentions on the forum since I’ve been here about transformer faults.

1 Like

Thank you. Agreed.

Hoping that @NeilS may have a idea…

1 Like

The economics may well not add up. Can you contact the OEM ? If still in business they may have spares or at least give you details of turns/wire diameter etc to give to some independent rewinder. Perhaps too mich effort, i know. I had to get the pickups for my guitar rewound, it was quite simple as the rewinder had the details of turns/ wire etc.

2 Likes

I think so. Sorry.

Its a 1994 unit, so it has a Nuvotem transformer, who are Naim’s incumbent supplier, I believe.

Guitar Pickups are a lot simpler… :expressionless:

I’m guessing completely, and don’t entirely mean this seriously :slight_smile: - but a professional transformer rewinder (of which there appear to be quite a few!) probably takes one look at a transformer and knows pretty closely what gauge and approximate windings it is!? I do believe they’d get it close - no idea what they’d charge vs just looking for another FC on the used market

IMO, this goes beyond what Class A or Naim themselves, would approve of.

Its well into DIY territory - and perhaps going beyond the Forum TOU…

But thank you for the suggestion… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Quite right Ian, thanks.

My hope at present, is that the correct transformer may be found, on a dusty shelf somewhere… :thinking:

1 Like

I got tagged into this thread earlier on & checked the stock - nada. Also had a good look around on our dusty shelves. I drew a blank I’m afraid.
If it was a Nait 1/2, I could have helped out.
Sad times :frowning_face:

Sombre Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

Neil,

Thank you for looking. Appreciated… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No further progressing with this Flatcap. Return from Class A is still to be arranged.

Further suggestions welcomed, from Forum Members, subject to the TOU, which could lead to a repair which results in a working Flatcap.

Unfortunately, I fear that without finding a correct NOS or scavenged second-hand transformer, a repair (or at least a repair that falls within Forum AUP for discussion) is probably not going to be possible.

1 Like

Inquiries are still on-going with Naim dealers who regularly buy & sell pre-loved items. Perhaps they may have a source for or stock of the correct-to-Naim-drawing transformer…?

I recognise its a tricky area for the Forum.
But scrapping it seems rather extreme.
And Naim cannot fix it… :expressionless:

It’s a shame, but I’d put it back on eBay as non working, for parts and spares. I could think of a few things do do with that case in a slimline Olive system…

The 3R as an integrated is a decent bit of kit on its own whilst you wait for another (working) preloved Flatcap to come along.

2 Likes

Funnily enough I was thinking the same……….

2 Likes

@james_n @suzywong - Other… options (which cannot be discussed here, in detail) are being investigated.

Re-selling the FC on eBay is a last resort, which is not preferred.

The Nait 3R itself is indeed lovely and is much liked by its owner… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

A Further Update (more may follow).

The ‘other options’ are getting complex - and starting to feel like fixing an a old car…! Hunting on the web has located 3 Olive FlatCap’s, from various dealers - all of which are functional-but-not-serviced.

Plus Factor would be these are not ‘messed with’ and could be serviced without issues. Contrasting with fixing the one we have, is that it would end up as ‘modified’ and be more difficult to service or sell later.

Waiting now on further replies to get the full picture. No decisions yet made… :thinking: