Nait 3R - Incoming

Whats there, 4 tants and a smallish electrolytic? Not much to service.

1 Like

You know that it’s beginning of the slippery slope… :laughing:

So welcome to the madness :grinning:

(But the music is good)

2 Likes

Oh yes, and it’s all happened fairly quickly - but I don’t want ANY MORE boxes!!! :crazy_face::grin:

But you’re right, sounds great with all the Salisbury Witchery going on :mage::laughing:

1 Like

In my option the Flatcap is very overlooked (especially in 2, 2x or XS guise with the dual output)

When I had a Nait XS2 and a Stageline S, adding a Flatcap XS with the right number of Snaics resulted in a preamp stage fed from 2 rails and a phono stage fed from the 2 other rails.
I’m pretty sure the Nait’s switching logic circuits were also on a separate rail integral to the amp so that’s 5 rails in total.

It certainly sounded very mature and detailed and to my ears it was superior to adding a Hicap DR to the XS2 and powering the Stageline from the Aux 2 socket.

3 Likes

Yeah, right. I said that - along the lines of “now we’ve had my “office” rebuilt, it would be nice if I had a small hifi system.” (As a change from our “big” systems of Linn Aktiv triamped Briks, and the Meridian DSP5000 5.1 home theatre)

It has ended up with active SBLs!

Yup. that went well!

3 Likes

Linn Kans would have been a sensible choice… :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, and started with Kans and our old Meridian 101/103D amplifier.

Then I grabbed a CD3.5 one Wednesday afternoon and started down the slippery slope.

The 3.5, Meridian, and Kans are now in my wife’s hobby room.

1 Like

Actually I have not personally tried a FC with my Nait 3R.
But I remember how astonished I was when I tethered a Supercap to it! :astonished:

1 Like

The eBay Flatcap was arrived and - so far - is dead on arrival.

Basic checks are now in progress - fuses & mains plug. After that guess its lid off time…?

Mains Plug Fuse is a 5 amp…? I though all Naim mains fuses were 13 amp - because there is the internal fuses as well…?

PS. Looks like the internal fuse is U/S.

Pretty conclusive - I think…?

PS. Does anyone know where I could find a Naim Manual for the original Olive FlatCap
(not FlatCap 2 or XS), please…?

Not In my Archive…

Nope, I did find this though

https://web.archive.org/web/19970125184236/http://www.naim-audio.com/psu.html

Way back machine product page for it, with a few specs

(It’s quite interesting reading the 1997 website)

(Where “quite” is clearly very context dependent - I figured I was safe here though)

Here’s a link to a post with the connection guide

But I suspect you know the content of that!? What are you after knowing @IanRobertM ?

1 Like

@gthack - Thanks. I do not expect the Olive PS manual to tell me very much that I don’t know. But thought it was worth asking, on here. To try to add to my ‘collection’ of Naim Manuals.

Manuals for the FC2 or FC XS are easy to find. And I have those…!

1 Like

I suspect 1997 was too early for electronic copies of the manuals to exist? @GeoffC sorry to ask, particularly if you’ve answered it before, and given I’m not afraid of a forum search, but is that a fair assumption? Pre c. 2000 manuals weren’t amenable to publishing on the web?

(I realise scans/images of hardcopy manuals are a thing :slight_smile: )

1 Like

In my collection, its the post 2000 ones which are relatively small files, suggesting they are genuine original pdf’s - rather that a scanned document (which tends to result in a far bigger file).

2 Likes

Yes, in the mid nineties, when the PDF format was launched it was still a way off establishing itself not least because of file big file sizes and very long download times.

I have taken a look at my artwork archive, I do have all (I think) of the olive era manuals in digital form. All the text and formatting is there, however some of the illustrations are partially incomplete - the odd plug and socket is missing - due to the file drawing type used at the time.

Perhaps, when I am not too busy, I will take a look at them again and see how much rebuilding they need. Making a PDF from these original files will be very straightforward.

I have plenty of printed copies as reference.

2 Likes

@GeoffC - Would be great if you could do something… :slightly_smiling_face:

I have pdf’s of the manuals for the Power Amps, the Pre Amps, the SNAXO’s and the Tuners, from around that time, which I have found online.

2 Likes

Hi @IanRobertM

I will see what’s involved in rebuilding the Power Supplies manual as the first on my list. Hopefully it will be just a few small drawings to put back together.

Regards
Geoff

2 Likes

@GeoffC -Thats brilliant . Would it help if I sent you some of what I have…?

Feel free to ask @Richard.Dane for my details.

1 Like

Hi @IanRobertM

Thanks for the offer, but I have everything I need here in printed and electronic form.
We’ll sort out delivery options when I have it completed.

1 Like

@GeoffC - Sounds good.

I will bet this is not do-able, for some reason, but having an Archive of Naim Manuals (and perhaps more) as part of the Forum, would be a very neat way to deliver these…

@Richard.Dane - Thoughts…?

1 Like