Nait 50 speakers

Excellent combo, the HL5s sound excellent with the Nait 50!

2 Likes

Having recently plugged in my Nait 1 with my Harbeths which I always thought sound shut in unless properly driven Iā€™m am truly shocked at what Iā€™m hearing. No the Nait 1 doesnā€™t have the power or punch of the larger amps but Iā€™m beginning to wonder whether that even matters anymore.

I donā€™t think anyone will be left wanting for more power with the Nait 50 plugged into most speakers. I would know my Harbeths at 6ohm 86db.

The mid band is done so well itā€™s very entertaining. Kind of reminds me of the 52/135 setup but PERHAPS even more so. Aural memory letting me down right now.

6 Likes

I am intrigued to try a Nait 1 at home

1 Like

if you can find one in good condition definitely buy it. I canā€™t imagine anyone who wouldnā€™t love it. Everything I had read about musical engagement is spot on.

Iā€™ve got it connected to my SW1X DAC III Balanced Classic and itā€™s a thoroughly engaging listen.

1 Like

You may be disappointed, Simon. The NAIT1 is a cracker but youā€™ll hear itā€™s limitations more clearly after running a NAIT50. Limitations aside, itā€™s a fun little thing and as @khan84 mentions, itā€™s top notch on musical engagement.

1 Like

What master clock did you listen to, and what was the outcome?

The Nait 1 is a lot less dimensional than the Naim seperates. The width and depth to the sound is noticeably less. But it delivers the musical message of every song. I think itā€™s what my 52/135 system did brilliantly as well. No, it doesnā€™t have the power but my 500 system is still switched off right now which speaks volumes about the engagement of this little amp. I think the fact that my DAC has a high output of around 2.8V helps as I donā€™t need much volume on the Nait 1. I am sure the fact that itā€™s connected to the best source component Iā€™ve ever heard is a factor

The Nait 50 will probably be more of the Nait 1 with more power but Iā€™ve read somewhere that it isnā€™t as sweet sounding as the Nait 1. Perhaps the limitations of the Nait 1 are what contribute to its excellence. Another thing I cannot believe is how gorgeous it is to look at. The fact that a 1983 design looks good in 2024 is a testament to Naimā€™s design prowess. Iā€™m sure it was more form over function when this generation of components were designed but it does so well aesthetically.

7 Likes

N50 sounds nicely balanced with Linn Katans, fronted by '02 LP12 (Cirkus/Lingo 2/Ekos 2/Adikt). I think theyā€™re good enough speakers to do the amp justice too.

Katan stands are quite important though and it was all sounding a tiny bit flat / out of tune with Linn K20 but K400 rounded things off nicely.

Just enough bass in a 4 x 5m room (for my needs anyway).

As many Iā€™m running Nait 50 with Petite Classic. Theyā€™re positioned on the wooden Custom Design stands which resonate quite a bit. Thought that next step in tweaks will be some equipment isolation and started with speakers - replaced Soundcare spikes with Stack audio AUVA 50. Quite audible upgrade and especially unexpected that midrange benefited, initially I thought it would be more around frequencies extremes. Though itā€™s probably not a must but nice to have in such a setup if you want to save some budget.

6 Likes

What HiFi reviewed yesterday
Nice speakers.

4 Likes

Mofi SourcePoint 8ā€™s are 25% off with the stands being 50% off.
Has anyone auditioned these speakers with the Nait 50?

am sitting down after a rather taxing days work listening to my NDX2 ā†’ DAVE ā†’ Nait50 ā†’ RK RED50s os SS60 standsā€¦ and boy I canā€™t get over just bloody wonderful and absorbing this setup sounds, ā€¦ listening to Duke Ellington playing Satin Dollā€¦ sounds like he and his band are there with you ā€¦ the immediacy, atmosphere, timing and vibe is striking ā€¦ really really satisfying.

I have found the RKs sound best when placed directly on the S60 standard wooden platform with NO BluTak or similarā€¦ that otherwise does seem to rob a noticeable amount of realism and feel.

10 Likes

Very nice, enjoy. ā€žSatin dollā€œ is a jazz classics, I also like the version from Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band - I think it is a good recording tooā€¦.

1 Like

Canā€™t go wrong with Duke Ellington Simonā€¦ All this music recorded with vacuum tube equipment, making me wonder if hifi has really evolved since then!

1 Like

Has anybody listened to Graham ls 3/5 (not A) with Nait 50 by chance? Or probably separately and you got ideas about such pairing?

So I went out on a limb this afternoon and purchased the MoFi SourcePoint 8ā€™s unseen and unheard.

Arriving from the US in a couple weeks.

Wish me luck.

3 Likes

Every speaker I own was purchased without a listen. Iā€™m 3 for 5.

3 Likes

Looks an interesting speaker, lots of positive reviews and the ones Iā€™ve read all had a similar theme, reckon youā€™ll be pleased.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks

Manufacturer Sale
$3000CDN (Ā£1750) plus stands at 1/2 price. I couldnā€™t resist.

I want to give 8ā€ (minimum) concentric drivers a whirl.

As for speaker reviews, Erins Corner does some of the best. Next level with amazing layman explanations on design affecting sound quality.

Read a WHF review of Petites and positioning caught my attention:

ā€œplaced on dedicated speaker stands (a must), set roughly 30cm from the back wall, and toed in slightly to our listening position to get the best stereo imagingā€

I often scratch my head in such cases as mine are 1m from the wall, strictly parallel and both ports are open. So completely different from how the reviewer listened. And I always question do they really understand what the ā€˜stereo imagingā€™ isā€¦

I remember buying something from a man with huge Tannoys (I guess 15ā€), we plugged in to check the device and he was elaborating about coaxial imaging and sound stage. And there was no sound stage at allā€¦ :sweat_smile:. Itā€™s quite obvious cause you need a castle rather than a general room to properly position such speakers. I also remember that my first 2 pairs of Klipsch and Spendors didnā€™t really produced a proper imaging until I took ATC 20 and put them 1,2 meters from the wallā€¦

So take it with a grain of salt maybe, if you plan to use such speakers 20-30 cm from the wall you may hear 70% of their potential, maybe lessā€¦

2 Likes