Nait 50 speakers

Funnily enough was watching a couple of his reviews this morning, in this case the Kef R3 Meta.

I’ve ordered a pair to replace my Guru Qm10’s in one of the cabin systems due to the death of one of my drivers.

1 Like

Nice speakers!
With a concentric driver as well.

let us know how the R3s compare to your LS50s…

Yup, thought you might appreciate that.

I’ve read a lot of good things on the Sourcepoint 10 and 8, both look very interesting speakers.

1 Like

Will do, the Ls50’s are sounding sublime on the Densen.

Will listen to the R3’s on their own first before playing with the twin Kc62 subs, hoping that it could sound pretty special all together.

But it totally depends on the wall, and what else is in the environment and the amount of reflections in the room. Almost certainly no two rooms will be alike with regard to speaker placement.
It’s worth remembering upto a certain transition frequency point, speakers radiate all around themselves… it’s not just the direction of the concentric drivers. The distance to the wall if a reflector will provide additive and cancelling waves and as such will change the tonal balance of the speaker. The ideal is to have the speaker in free space or actually built into or directly onto the wall. Some sound studios do the latter.
Most of us have to compromise and also some speakers benefit from wall loading so benefit from some reinforcement of the wall reflections to provide a suitable in room response.
If you have quite lively walls and are sitting quite close to the speaker then toein is usually required to help the imaging. Some speakers have a notable frequency response change that falls away off axis, which can make them more forgiving in certain rooms, but will require toein to the listening sweet spot.

So any comments about placement and toe in will almost entirely depend on the room, listening position, and to some extent the speaker.

1 Like

Ok, there is an aspect of the tonal balance (like idk, Audio Note put them in the corners/close to the wall to reinforce in the bass region), but I was more about imaging. I’ve assembled my systems in 3 different rooms and never it was the case that proper sound stage can be obtained when the speakers are positioned too close to the wall. You will just hear the reflective sound in that case which blurs everything. There are some well-known techniques and applications to position the speakers like ‘audiophile calculator’ where you can put room dimensions and receive recommended positioning, youtube channel ‘new record day’ made a lot of videos on the topic also.

The R3’s with dual KC62’s is a seriously good speaker setup. If I was in the market for subs, it would be the KC62s.

Andrew Jones was a speaker designer at Kef back in the day.

Interesting, didn’t know that.

Excerpt from an older interview when he was with Pioneer.

An Interview with Andrew Jones of Pioneer
by Dave Clark

“ Products that I have contributed to or been responsible for include KEF 107/2, many of the UNI-Q reference line of speakers, the KEF K-UBE electronics, Infinity Prelude, Overture and Reference Series speakers, Pioneer TZ700 series, and now the TAD and EX speakers.”

1 Like

Experienced exactly this myself recently with Kef Ls50 Metas. In main room had to have them well put from the wall, circa 45-55 cm from memory.

Now in the cabin and have them only 20 odd cm from rear wall, however they are 1.8m each from closest side wall.

The soundstage in the cabin is far more expansive than when they were in the house, likewise bass is so tight and snappy. They have never sounded happier.

All this with them being driven by an aged (albeit serviced) Densen Beat B100 amp having come from a SN3 and HCDR.

Yes will take some time to rearrange the cabin layout to maximise the SQ. I think the Technics SuG700m2 and Kef R3 meta could be a cracking combination, and then throwing in the KC62’s, should be fun :star_struck:.

1 Like

Indeed, higher frequencies become more directional from speakers, and these higher frequencies become quite key for sound staging I believe… and as you say if you have excessive reflections from walls of these frequencies I agree sound staging gets lost.

2 Likes

Has anybody by chance listened to the latest Rogers 3/5a SE with Nait 50?

No but have listened to the Nait 50 with P3ESR , Graham 55 has Falcon LS 3/5a and seems very happy with the combo

1 Like

As Ian says, I have Falcon ‘Gold Badge’ LS3/5As with my Nait 50, and I’m very pleased indeed with them. But you must have a decent pair of stands for them - don’t just plonk them on any old

bookshelf or coffee table.

Mine sit on Italian-made Solidsteel stands.

8 Likes

I have listened to the latest Rogers ls3/5a classic, not the SE variant, with Nait 50. By the way, they’re been playing with some Rogers active subwoofers AB3a too.

I’ve uploaded some video clips comparing Nait 50 with some other Naim amps. You may check in the YouTube by searching “Naim Nait 50 playing ‘That The Way Love Is’ by The Cox Family’ if you’re interested. The speakers in the clips were Rogers ls3/5a with the AB3a. Enjoy.

PS. My apologies for the back ground noise if you find the clips. I really need air conditioning at this moment in summer.

14 Likes

Just a wow setup, thanks a lot

1 Like

SourcePoint 8’s on tap and so far so good.

Neutral, detailed & effortlessly smooth.

8 Likes