Nait 50 speakers

…more in line using similar N50 tech in a new Nait, hopefully a shoebox format.

1 Like

Anyone tried the Nait 50 with KEF LS50?

I’m not, but I stream Radio 3Hd and it is superb, if you have a Nat 02 or Nat o1 , R3 HD from a streamer may be a useful source .

It is so simple

I think that the Atom HE is a streamer - which means a total loss of interest from me altogether. I’m really not into digital streaming of music at all.

It also is a DAC which means not only could you pick up a high grade radio signal well in excess of aNat
3 you could add a quality CD transport .

Best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Thanks for these interesting news, @anon27418182!

Do you already have a little more information about the Guru 12?
Will they be successors of the Q10 or based on its design? Thanks …

Hi colormind

The Guru 12s are a slightly larger version of the Guru 8 which is the direct replacement of the Juniors. The Q10s are still part of the new lineup. I have a PDF with details but I don’t think I’m allowed to share it here. All info should be available very soon on the web. Search ‘people audio guru’.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the Spendor A4 with the Nait 50?

Good to hear Guru still exist, I thought otherwise.
Hope they have better QC now with less issues and wait.

The Atom HE is not a tuner… it can’t pick up a high quality radio signal such that a NAT can pick up. It can pick up web streams over the internet that carry broadcast service audio radio.

Specifically the BBC state:

Whilst all of our services are now available at the high-quality 320kbs AAC-LC encoding only Radio 3 currently has the signal processing bypassed and so is the only service to broadcast in HD Sound.

Therefore out of all the BBC online web streams, (so called web or internet radio… but remember this quite different to real radio), only Radio 3 is streamed as HD. Ie the content is HD as opposed to non HD content over a higher resolution transport encoding format.

2 Likes

My point is that Graham (like myself) really values Radio 3 and I think it’s signal via the internet is the equal of the NAT models .

I used to have a Magnum Dynalab (tube) and the signal for R3 HD is no slouch in comparison

Got you… indeed, and the BBCR3 internet feed audio is probably / should be more clean and resolving than via radio… I didn’t realise until recently the BBC only considers BBC Radio 3 hidef online as they don’t process the audio unlike the other ‘HD’ streams, and I believe they use Optimod processing for the radio feeds (actual radio).

2 Likes

Katans arrived today so tried them with the N50 (and '89-spec LP12). They were ok but a bit bland. Sounded nice with Lejonklou amps though so nothing wrong with the speakers.

I suspect IBLs/SBLs would suit my LP12s/rooms better. Or instead get a brighter sounding turntable (e.g., Rega P3/P6) to use with the Tukans/Keilidhs which I know work well with the N50 but the overall sound is too shut in.

However, I will likely sell the N50 and just go back to using the 12/160 which is more overall engaging to my ears.

4 Likes

Flock of Seaguls…

1 Like

Don’t give up on the 50 just yet. You might want to consider adding a second hand streamer/dac like the LUMIN t2 or many other second hand in that price range. Then I see you are in the UK, I would imagine you could find a second hand bookshelf speaker from one of the many great UK brands pretty easy. You wouldn’t have a fortune in the system and everyone NEEDS a second system somewhere. Plus you might just find that streaming beats getting up every 22 minutes (or 15 in 45 mode) and expands your listening library tremendously. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Thanks Zack. This is already a second system (in office). I have nothing against digital but always seem to get a bit bored sooner or later and unmotivated to continue listening. I think that’s the key with the right LP12 is that I have a sense of something missing when the music stops, rather than a slight sense of relief.

Don’t seem to get on very well with non-Naim/Linn/Rega speakers and not all of theirs that I’ve tried either.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not QM10 v2 as an original owner love these speakers and would love to upgrade to a 12?

I’m assuming it is v2 as the original has not been available for sometime.

100 watts, remote control maybe an onboard DAC …

Having moved to a smaller listening room recently, I’ve been thinking about the JBL 4309. Looks like it might provide some of the bass, scale, dynamics and presence lacking in the LS3/5A I currently have (which I love for their other qualities). Seems popular with several online reviews I’ve seen. HFN measurements suggest an easy load for low-powered valve amps, so the NAIT 50 should have no problem either.

The 4 Ohm/87dB JBL 4309 have a 165mm pulp woofer and a 25mm compression driver with horn loading. Crossover at 1.6kHz. Frequency response is 42Hz - 30kHz. Dimensions are H 419 x W 260 x D 227mm. A solid cabinet contributes to an 11kg weight for each speaker. Anyone tried them?

4 Likes