Name A Film With A Great Soundtrack

Two more fine Morricone western soundtracks:

Run, Man, Run (La Resa dei Conti) – Julian Cope thinks it the best of Morricone’s western soundtracks;
Companeros – a wonderful sendup of Morricone-style western music by the maestro himself.

A tv series, but with a great selection of classic jazz chosen by Yoko Kanno: Kids on the Slope.
Kanno’s music for Cowboy Bebop is legendary.

2 Likes

1492, Conquest of Paradise with music by Vangelis.
Chariots of fire
The Killing Fields by Mike Oldfield
And lastly
Local Hero by Mark Knoffler

2 Likes

I searched this topic to see if anyone’s already mentioned it, but to my surprise the search came up empty. All my favorites have been listed already, except for one!

Glory (1989) - James Horner

I might have missed them on those posts, but two films come to mind.

North by North West with music by Bernard Herrman
Scot of the Antarctic by Vaughn-Williams. Became his seventh symphony.

Douglas.

2 Likes

@GraemeH - something of a theme there …

1 Like

middle next month @ south bank center13th june Gottfried Huppertz’s score

paul

2 Likes

and while i am here! Vangelis Blade runner @ royal albert hall 25th Oct

paul

3 Likes

my pick would be

John Barry’s OHMS score (extended)

but no one picked

Lalo Schifrin’s Bullet
or
Roy Budd’s Get Carter

paul

5 Likes

95F12A7F-634E-4DE9-A732-104AD76BC6D6-5201-0000051E83CF9A4E

Nobody mentioned Bullet so far, but I did mention Bullit further up the thread. However you spell it, it is a great soundtrack and still a terrific film to watch.

David

Ry Cooder; Paris Texas

7 Likes

Well, AC/DC Thunderstruck keeps you awake while watching this for the 100:ed times
with my son :crazy_face:

1 Like

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

8 Likes

Shaft … Isaac Hayes

5 Likes

Peter Gabriel Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ

5 Likes

A small shout out for American Gangster, not least ‘Across 110th Street’!

Could also apply to the soundtrack to Jackie Brown, which just so happens to be my favourite film from Quentin Tarantino - a love story, QT style.

8 Likes

As someone with a collection of 1,500 - 2,000 soundtracks (I’ve been collecting since 1972 and only in recent years has my taste moved more to the classical genre) I could bore everyone with lists of Great film scores. Far and away my favourite composer is John Barry and there isn’t one of his which I think isn’t worth listening to … but to name one which is absolutely superb:
The Last Valley (1971) … a mixture of big orchestral, soft lyrical and wonderful choral works, it has the most wonderful melody in its gentle passages.
The original film score is unreleased but the album re-recording from 1971 is available (3 CD releases to date) plus there is a newer re-recording (Nic Raine/City of Prague Philharmonic) of the full score which has better clarity and more music … but doesn’t sound quite right.

2 Likes

That Geoff Love album, Big War Movie Themes, was my first vinyl LP purchase (following Western Themes which my sister had bought me). Both albums remain great listens …:grinning:

2 Likes

also good if you want to check how much low your set up can handle.

1 Like