Native Qobuz update

Hi @NigelB

The issue was down to storing data in the ios keychain and that the api searching then reading data could end up retrieving from a different location than a write. It’s a quirky ios centric bug that needed a stack up of events to make it happen, but thanks to @MartyK who worked with us behind the scenes we tracked it down.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

6 Likes

Late to this conversation… I tried Qobuz a few months ago via AirPlay and the results were terrible. The recent integration in the Naim App is a different story. I was a Hi-Res skeptic until now, there is a wonderful naturalness to the sound. Familiar recordings are more open and lack the edge I hear from Tidal or CD. This is not across the board but I’m impressed enough to drop my Tidal account and focus on Qobuz. Classical recording, in particular, sound great. I’m a chamber music listener and there is a large catalog of Trios and Cello Sonatas in Hi-Res. Thanks Naim!

6 Likes

I’m finding it very good too, even like for like 44/16 albums sound better than on Tidal IMO and the Hi Res stuff is excellent, particularly the ECM catalogue. Overall Qobuz seems to be an easier listen, more natural and less fatiguing, I suppose some of this could be down to the firmware upgrade which coincided with the native Qobuz release. Hopefully they’ll continue to improve the app particularly around sorting favourites

3 Likes

The only thing which scares me a bit with Qobuz is the poor customer service. I have had already so many incidents with downloading music. And if often requires two complaints before they react. And on my current issue I don’t even have a response after two tickets. And then the handling is always the same…, select another album, and they just keep the bad album in their collection. I never really never got a real fix.
Now streaming is normally less troubles, but it still is a bit concerning.

No issues with Qobuz streaming customer service here, it has been good and responsive… albeit the franglais can be interesting sometimes.

Yes, me too. I am loving the Qobuz streaming service and have finally ditched Tidal.

As I have had no cause to contact Qobuz Customer Service, I can’t really comment on their efficiency, and, as I understand it, @BertBird 's problems have been with the Qobuz downloads Customer Service and it is unclear if this is separate from the streaming Customer Service.

I guess time will tell, but at the moment I am delighted with Qobuz and the wonderful integration into Naim streamers.

5 Likes

That’s hopeful news, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Richard. Qobuz login issue is resolved.

1 Like

Makes you wonder if it’s just too much hassle to fix a bad download.

If Qobuz has messed up metadata, accidentally truncated/deleted parts of a work, duplicated a track with another’s metadata it should be in their gift to fix it, though possibly time consuming and costly compared to offering another selection instead. Alternatively if they are supplied bad files by the music company it may be even harder to get a fix if the music company are unresponsive, though you’d imagine it’d be more in the music companies interests to sort it out or artists would complain.

Funnily enough in their new blurb about the streaming plan, they have loads of positive ‘accolades’ from various magazine/papers/Neil Young, and there is even a comment about the exemplary customer service which tickled me.

Slightly off topic. I have a problem using Qobuz with album Soundgarden-Superunknown @ 192khz 24bit.
The playback stutters on all songs.
Now after waiting two weeks for a reply at Qobuz tech support, they said not our problem it works fine, try Naim support. Great I thought.
Anyway I’m not overly fussed as it streams fine in 96khz.
However just out of “interest” can anyone stream this album @ 192 without issues? I’m using Atom plugged into Ethernet with 200mbs internet speed.
Thanks.

On my Nova, it cuts out for a fraction of a second about every 15 seconds. 96Khz is fine.

Well that woke up SiS towers… but plays fine here on Roon into NDX2, but not natively on NDX2 without pausing every so often
I’ll flag up in beta forum, looks like Naim firmware bug.

3 Likes

Yes agree with you, I never understand why they just fix it…, but perhaps it’s cheaper to just offer another album as labor cost need to be considered. While I would argue good customer service goes a long way in keeping customers.

Hi Simon, i replied to your beta post, have the same problem…you might want to try what Will asked me to try.

:rofl: Thanks good to know. I’m not sure where the problem is. Maybe it will be fixed along the line.
All other 192khz songs I’ve tried which I do not have that many of, play fine.

Yes keeping the customer happy is important - if they explained the issue, perhaps saying we’ll look into it but can’t fix immediately, I think most people would be happy with the compensation of another download in the interim though it would be nice to be informed when the fix is made, and even better if it’s still available to download. That would keep me very happy.

I have also found that 192 content on Qobuz played through ND555 natively via Naim app stops momentarily and resumes intermittently

1 Like

I played the album as mentioned bu SiS earlier and it stuttered/skipped have since played two Norah Jones albums at 192/24 no problems whatsoever?

Strangely I had the same problem with Rolling Stones Album @ 192 but the same album @44 was fine ( this was on my Atom with Ethernet connection )
Sorry should have mentioned that the album was Let it Bleed

1 Like

Yes, works fine: Qobuz>BubbleUPnP server>NDX.