ND555 at Olive System

The system is 52/135s/NDS/606s.
Not had chance to try it yet, but given how fantastic the NDS sounds I am pretty sure it will be a winning combination. I am looking for a quiet time when the family is out to give it a try ( olive stuff is in open space - main system is in separate room )

1 Like

One question came in mind.
Currently with ND5XS2 and nDAC I set DAC to “Chassis” and ND5XS2 to “Floating” (HDX also floating but he is only connected via ethernet).
When testing ND555 should I set it to “floating” as well and connect both to 52 or re-plug it and set ND555 to “chassis”.
A tt is also in the system with earthing cable (is it really called so :slight_smile: )

This makes you the one to ask how 606 is working with olive amps.
As 606 is a box of interest I looked on so many pictures here, but nearly everyone is having 606 with black boxes.
How is 606 on olive and do you had SBL before? (chance is good :))

I was going to ask whether you had considered an NDS? But I think that ship has sailed. I just got mine back from Naim and I can’t adequately describe the difference to the NDX I’ve been listening to for the last few weeks into my 52/135s but the best I can come up with is it’s like putting on a brand new comfy pair of slippers at Christmas :blush:

4 Likes

Hi Paul
Yes - I considered it a lot.
NDS with fresh re-capped 555PS (DR or non DR) is not so far away from what I have paid - OK, it is a bit, but… ND555 is not even a year old. That was so tempting.
I really love Quobuz and having some kind of route around - like ND5XS2 feeding - has hold me a bit back.
The better sound for money might definitely be the NDS!

Just found tis thread (ND555 )… Why have I read it … typical behavior…

Happy, that I have a return window - which I do not want to use at all.
Yeah - I am a sensitive one, but also had a lot of first listen WOW - Moments…
I am optimistic… :slight_smile:

Now Stacking Fraim is coming to mind…
I currently have the “left-right” switched setup - which I know is not optimal.
Could change it, but would like to avoid having the TT in the corner of the room.

Currently the Streamer - ND5XS2 is sitting on top of all the PSU based boxes (SC, 135, 135, XPS).
This is also not the best solution…

Could not change TT and streamer as the prefix inside my TT is really sensitive to hum… only works with 52 underneath…
What can I do?

• Use a log legged fraim (have double length legs) on the left top shelf to gain distance from Streamer to SC… maybe be a bit ugly
  • Buy the bronze update for my quadraspire rack and put ND555 or TT on Top → but this is not fraim
  • when DAC (bottom right side Fraim) is gone, I can add the Streamer also here - between TT and 52?

Here they are - my Hifi (first world) dilemmas :slight_smile:

Cracked my head… but no stacking solution so far… :frowning:

Not good, but an idea:

Left:
ND555
Spare Shelf (can put my spare olive 250 inside - unpowered just for design reasons :slight_smile: )
SC

Right
TT
TT-PS
SC (for Prefix)
555PS

Alternative

Left
HDX
SC
Spare

Right
TT
TT-PS
SC
555PS

ND555 on TOP of Quadraspire to the right - added Bronze shelf (hope gurneys are long enough :frowning: )

2 Likes

I think the 52, turntable and ND555 would be best positioned on top of shelves. Even an empty shelf under the 52 can be beneficial.

Not too sure from there but @HungryHalibut is an expert at this type of thing and is extremely knowledgable.

Thanks a lot - I Know that, but this is nearly impossible to manage.
52 on TOP shelf would be perfect especially for cable connection, but…

• switching both “collum’s” → I can not see the LED from the volume Pot of 52 anymore - I like to see it. TT is in the Corner - also bad. And Burndy positioning will be more sophisticated - now it is a bit more straight, but hanging totally relaxed.

I can also do it this way

left:
ND555
Spare
555PS

right
TT
Spare
TT-PS
SC
SC

STOP— not working with length of 52 Burndy …

And the 52 on the top shelf of Quadraspire (Bronze - Update)

HDX somewhere else … only as a server

I don’t know how you’ve done it but I can usually only get the Burndy to connect if the power supply is to the left of the 52 or bellow the 52.

I find the Burndy usually decides where to position things.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
I have done an awful long massage on the Burndy. I relaxed it and “bended” it very carefully into its final position - and shaked and massaged.
It is long enough to go from left side of the SC on the left to right sided 52 on the right.
SC Side

No chance of touching the floor :slight_smile:

There is even enough room for the SC to go one down - but that’s it!

1 Like

I think it is even harder when both connections are at the inside of the double fraim rack.
So you need to make rounds with the Burndy and it is hard to avoid touching anything.

Nevertheless is the PSU on the right side the correct option as the PSUs have a maximum distance…

I wouldn’t let the hum from pre fix PS determine positioning, I would position to Naim recommendations of Brain and Braun and then find an appropriate place for the prefix PS where it doesn’t hum after positioning everything else even if it ends up on it’s own little table/wall bracket somewhere off to one side.

1 Like

The prefix is installed in the TT :slight_smile:
So TT can only be placed as it is now or on the Quadraspire → and this can also be a problem as the snail cable from prefix is a bit short…

I meant prefix power supply.

1 Like

The Prefix Powersupply is called SC :slight_smile: I have 2 of them. The Prefix itself is the problem. Not so problematic, as the Superline was - but when a PSU is coming near the TT… The Hum is bad

What about turntable wall shelf for turntable? You can even get double decker turntable wall shelf and you could put tt and prefix power supply on wall shelf.

Prefix is installed inside the Body of the TT - as done with older LP12.
A wall shelf… googled it today. :slight_smile:
It is plasterboard wall - I am a bit anxious to find my TT on the floor any morning.

2 Likes

Maybe get a longer cable made.

1 Like

I meant prefix power supply.

1 Like