ND555, NAC552DR and SuperLumina "Full Loom", all at once!

The Amp has two SL upgradable ends Input and Output.

If choosing one first I’d choose the Speaker cable as it runs-in a lot lot quicker than the DIN-XLR.

The run-in effect of both is also opposite in that Speaker cable begins a bit over-blown and fullsome and tightens-up over time - The DIN-XLR begins a bit thin and and bright and takes longer to fill-out.

Both together for a while work well as they run-in but the Speaker cable gets there first.

I did not like my DIN-XLR SL cables for many weeks and only persisted with them as I’d previously borrowed a Dealer run-in set that I loved immediately. But after a few weeks and certainly a few months they seem just right in terms of timing and detail without being over-heavy sounding.

So persist with it for the DIN-XLR SL and you will be fine - but possibly expect some run-in brightness and thinness for the fist few days mostly and weeks a bit.

But for me the Speaker cable was the biggest revelation in that I felt I was hearing my Amp - then a non-DR 500 - for the first time in terms of it having a relaxed precise control with lots of easy fine detail.

Both eventually for full-loom. :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

2 Likes

Hi Bart,

As mentioned earlier, I have the whole set of Super Lumina cables, which includes the DIN-XLR interconnect.

I can’t really tell how it changes the sonic signature of the system as I replaced all the cables at once.

But, in the context of my system, the complete set of Super Lumina cabling made a huge improvement. I don’t even think going back to HiLine and/or stock cables. Really, it’s a no-brainer.

Of course, it took some time to settle down. I’d say around 250 hours to get the ease and smoothness I’m enjoying now.

1 Like

The journey continues…

I’ll fetch my brand new NAP500DR on Wednesday :smiley:

3 Likes

The NAP500DR has arrived !

It completes my 500 series setup :smiley:

I won’t be able to connect it immediately. The rack needs some modifications.

I’ll power it up anyways. It’ll be powered for couple of weeks. I don’t know if it helps with the burning in process as it does not transmit any signal, but at least It’ll be correctly warmed up when I’ll transfer it into the modified rack.

3 Likes

@Darkebear

Hi DB,

Considering your experience with NAP500s , would you recommend to power the NAP500DR as part of the burning in process even if it’s not connected to a NAC? Would that make sense?

As mentioned above, I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks for my rack to be able to accommodate the NAP.

I would be tempted to put the 500 on a wooden board or something on the floor and use it with your NAC and just start-using until you can make room on your hifi stand. Not ideal…
but it will be running and you can start listening.

3 Likes

I’d begin the run-in process as early as possible - if you can connect the NAC just to provide an input and preferably some music all the better.
I don’t think Naim prohibit the NAP500 being powered without a source - if you do that then just don’t connect any speaker leads or speakers and leave the box alone and on. The Amp is designed to be able to be safely run with no leads and even safer if not connecting the NAC to the input just to not have it feeding any load on its output.
This will run-in the Electrolytic caps and other components that like to see voltage so worth doing IMO.

DB.

1 Like

if there is no problem in length of the cables, i would put it on the floor, like Gazza suggested ( on a wood board). Before the arrival of the new rack, it would be running and giving improved sound.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply DB! :smiley:

I finally realized that my “old” system was still around. I unpacked the NAC252, SuperCapDR, nDAC and connected them to the NAP500DR. I also have a of pair of nice little speaker in another room (JMR Emp Nano), and the NACA5 cables.

I plugged a USB stick in the nDAC and left the NAP500DR running. I’ll leave it running 24h/24h for a couple of weeks (~330 hours), until the rack is ready.

I really look forward to try the NAP with rest of my main system :relaxed:

That should be an interesting experience - connecting an already run in DR…

Brilliant. Suddenly remembering you have £15k worth of Naim hifi lying around :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

perhaps in some weeks it would be useful to change the title of the thread: nd555, 552, 500, and superlumina full loom…

The NAP500DR has now 1,5 months and +750 hours running.

I swapped the 300DR and the 500DR, when the 500DR had ~650 hours running.

The whole 500 series system behaves admirably. The new NAP is a huge step in sound quality. Not a surprise, really, but it had to be said.

The NAP300DR is a great amp, and probably the best value for money of the whole range, but the 500DR does a greater job in all areas. No doubt about that. It was obvious after a few minutes playing, particularly regarding soundstage and instrument separation.

I’m not comfortable describing what I hear. So I’ll borrow some of Martin Colloms conclusions which I find correspond to my feelings about the difference between the 300DR and the 500DR.

“ [….] One might have assumed that a 500DR would essentially be a moderately louder version of a 300DR, but this didn’t prove to be the case. Although the 300DR is undoubtedly a class leader in image scale, detail, and rhythmic musical drive, the 500DR adds substantial extra majesty, alongside a further expansion of spaciousness, the image width, and depth actually rivalling the Statement monoblocks. […]”

“ [….] Conclusions : This verdict came as something of a surprise. The scoring and the sound quality characteristics reach well beyond the non DR version, and it now combines the best international ‘high end’ qualities of subtle harmony, inner balance, power and drive, with fine slam, bass tune playing with lightning speed. As with the 300DR, the subjective frequency response seems rather wider than before, while the soundstages expand in every dimension. It unequivocally receives HIFICRITIC’s highest Audio Excellence rating. […]”

4 Likes

500DR is a different Amp to the non-DR 500. A smoother, richer more immersive presentation with effortless wider bandwidth up and down I found. Bass is clean, deep, powerful and effortlessly precise in a musical way - as the high-end is smoother and more revealing of detail - and the mid-band has gained more body and insight.
As a whole the rendering of harmonic structures in the music is strikingly beautiful and has a ‘wholeness’ about it all that delights.

If you have a non-DR 500, then a nice upgrade awaits when funds permit. A great product from Naim IMO.

DB.

3 Likes

I bought an elderly 2000 500 serviced late 2016 but unDRed. Much as others rate the other poweramps I only really began to enjoy and listen to the music with the 500. Admitted I bought the 552 it had been paired with as well. Much as I’d like to have @Thomas ‘s spanking brand new kit I can be content. Many talk about the gap being small but to my ear the others do not come close to the characteristics Thomas quoted (Martin Colombo) above.

Phil

This is tempting, but I first will most probably go for a 2nd ps on my ND555…, it will come eventually but most probably 1-3 years further ahead…

1 Like

Timing of use of funds is an Art I don’t always get right, but I think you are correct, in the sense that if you can combine a later service of 500 with the DR upgrade and in meantime improve the source it pushes out the window for the next service. With my system (3x 500DR) it is something I consider and dread, but hopefully another ten years away for me.

DB.

1 Like

You describe things with both insight and precision. It’s always a real delight to read your reports and descriptions :smiley:

1 Like

This morning I had an epiphany when listening to a string quartet I know pretty well. I think I finally had a glimpse of what the NAP500DR is capable of. Amazing!!! Far better then the 300DR.

The string quartet was Schubert’s “Death and the Maiden” performed by Van Kuijk Quartet, second movement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.