ND555 now in place

Me too - a hard one to watch

1 Like

Please go for it, sure I’m not the only one who would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

Yes - me too. @Dan_M if you like comparing, please do so. I do it every time - I would like to know if the new one is better. If not, why spend so much :rofl:

I am sure Dan will give an honest opinion to it all as i did.
As i think he is very much like me, as in goes for it.
Plus why not, as its only music, and in the end off the day you would only be fooling yourself anyway.

As i said things have changed since i did my demo, so really it should be an interesting read. Plus give a nice account and more up to date view hopefully.

1 Like

Hi Dunc,

Yes, I did, because I did have two 555DRs.

The difference was readily audible to me and not by a small amount - the two streamers had a very different sound signature and presentation, the ND555 having a far more open, detailed, less dark, sound to me.

Cheers,

Ian

3 Likes

The test is set up. So far internet radio. NDS into non Naim PS. ND555 into 555PSDR. Superlumina on ND555, non Naim interconnect on NDS

I am playing a Russian Techno station which is my favourite.

Got them switching between the two in sync. So far not alot in it. Can’t tell a huge difference.

I redid the racking order as I said I would. I am not happy with it as there is not enough weight holding the floor down. This is causing instability with LP12 if you are heavy footed next to it. Will have to reconfigure maybe with 500DR lower down and put the Zoneripper NAS under the LP12.

5 Likes

It’s really difficult doing the test tbh. Now using NAS drive. Again not alot in it! What can I say!

1 Like

Your building skills are needed Dan

1 Like

Oops! So no point getting the 555 for you?

The non Naim psu is very good tbf. We can’t talk about it on here as Naim Police will get involved! The Naim 555PSDR is the real thing though! To me they sound the same.

3 Likes

That’s very interesting and aligns with @Dunc experience. However it seems some on here have done the exact sam thing and noticed a big difference. It’s all very confusing.

and they really shouldn’t sound the same so something is amiss :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for having the willing to do that test.
Most users stream online, Tidal or Qobuz. In that case it seems obvious that the new platform will win, so Nd555.
But from a Nas, I stay eyes and brain open with that test.

2 Likes

@Dan_M have you flicked the chassis switch on one of the sources

4 Likes

This is new rack set up. Won’t last long!

8 Likes

Yes it seems strange. The NDS hasn’t even got the right ps. Furthermore it has an interconnect of unknown origin (to us). The Superlumina should be the better cable unless the unknown is very good. It’s confusing.

2 Likes

Just changed ND555 to floating now. :muscle:

3 Likes

They do sound different. Slightly but not £10k different.

I don’t think anything is amiss. They both sound superb!

4 Likes

Very interesting thread this.

Been saving slush fund for an ND555 but perhaps all we need is an NDS. And another PSU :laughing:

2 Likes

The non Naim PS some say is better. Not getting into that as said above. So please refrain from bringing the PSUs into it. There is not alot of difference between them. Just for saying this no doubt I will be asked from discussing that. Hope we are all clear on that one.

5 Likes