ND555 screen freezing

I know this has been brought up in the old forum but do you have to completely power down the ND to unfreeze the screen or is there an easier way. I assume next firmware update will resolve this.

You have to power the ND555 down to clear the frozen screen.

OK Thanks

Yesterday I had my fifth screen freeze in eleven weeks of ownership/use. So it still seems to be holding on to a frequency of about once every two weeks.

My new ND555 screen freezes every few days. I see no point of reset the screen to get it going, since it will freeze again in few days. How many time is acceptable for screen freezing?

How many of ND 555 owners do not experience screen freezes? Anyone?

I am a die hard Naim customer as I own many naim gears for over 20 years and have lot of naim stuff.

However, I am a bit disappointed that Naim is not doing anything to resolve the issue yet, if Niam are doing it, it is not working. While Naim continues to sell new unit of ND 555 expecting screen freezes is acceptable.

It is top naim source and we should expect better production, shouldn’t we?

J

I am on my second nd555, both units have never had a frozen screen. After the first few days I decided to turn the screen off. However, as you start an album or skip tracks the screen still comes on and displays the album for 10 seconds or so. It’s always in the correct album. I wonder if screen off is playing a part or it’s just working ok?

Not good, same issue with the Nova, but it was solved (ish) as in the occurence is very low now.
BUT, each time you power cycle, the warm up process starts over, very frustrating.

For me one of the reasons for a freeze tends to be linked to how you play music, if you listen to a whole album or playlist no issue, if you flip flop allot then you will freeze.

I play full albums, but often link them in series to form a queue. I’ll even pause the stream as the last note is decaying so as to select the next album before the screen switches to the home screen, which seems to hang on for ages before it goes off. I also very rarely switch to standby - usually only to switch off the (unnecessary) home screen.

As I say above, I’m getting a freeze about every two weeks. I understand the Beta group has been trialing a new firmware release, but since my unit was delivered too late to allow me to join the Beta group, I only have that as a rumour, which I think was ‘leaked’ on the previous forum.

It would be nice to have notification from Naim Audio to tell us what is being done to address the issue, when it expects to release to the wider user base etc.

Clive, I think I was the first Beta tester with a ND555 to notify Naim of this problem they have been working on it and I have been using a Beta update this has solved the screen freezing problem.

So the question remains: when will this be released to the wider user base?

I’d reached the same conclusion with my Nova too - it also happened with playlists so it looks as though it’s related to the queue in some way

Hi, we’ve developed a fix for this this rare issue – it’s available now in Beta if anyone needs it urgently (via Tech Support), but otherwise will be available very soon in a software update - we’ll keep people updated on that. Many thanks

1 Like

That’s encouraging. I look forward to the fix. Thank you.

Have not seen this frozen screen (yet) on my ND555.

ATB. George.

Interesting… does the fix apply to NDX2 as well ? I’ve had the screen freeze once or twice on mine. Doesnt happen often though.

That is encouraging and reassuring. I am wondering if it has anything to do with computer server?

Yes it does apply to ndx2

Thanks… I dont need the fix urgently - the issue is just a minor irritation… but good to know a fix is coming.

I’ve just encountered my sixth screen freeze incident in about 13 weeks of ownership, so the once-every-two weeks-frequency is affirmed once again. I didn’t get around to calling tech support today to try the beta fix. I’ll try to do so tomorrow.

Had one last evening. Shut down the ND since it was bedtime anyway. Probably around 5th incident in about 10 weeks.