NDS remote not working after new screen fitted by Naim

Bit stuck with this.

My NDS has cone back from service but doesnt recognise the remote, which previously worked perfectly with both it, and my 552. It now works only with the latter. Screen is nice and bright though…

Any suggestions? Fresh batteries have been tried!

Perhaps, if @NeilS is reading this on his holiday weekend, he may have an idea here.

1 Like

Thanks.

I was hoping you knew of some arcane ctrl-alt-del equivalent that would make it all work.

I’ll email support after the weekend.

I hope NeilS doesn’t interrupt his BH weekend to reply. It isnt urgent!

Bruce

You have to pair the remote with the NDS as the NDS will have gone back to the default coding when it was reset to factory settings. It’s easy to do:

Turn the NDS’s power supply off at the mains for a few seconds then turn it on again and when you see the splash startup screen on the NDS, while pointing the remote at the NDS, press the three buttons aux, i and disp on the remote simultaneously for a second or so and let go.

The remote will now work.

4 Likes

Hasn’t worked :confused:
Tried a few times.

Bruce

My NDS went back for a new screen last year. Remote stilled worked when it came back. No repairing necessary. I suspect that the IR receiver may be the problem.

Hi Bruce,

Press & hold the front panel list button to enter the setup menu, use the lit buttons to navigate to Factory Settings > Handset IR Monitor, start the test & then fire some remote commands. You should see some numbers populate in the lines below. Try your 552 remote too.
This will tell you if the NDS is receiving any IR.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Yes. You only need to re-pair if the NDS had used another code before being reset (and the remote is on the old code still).

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by ‘start the test’ but nothing happens with remote key presses. I hit panel Play, tried the remote and then Stop as the screen indicated.

I will look for the 552 remote. Don’t suppose my Atom remote would work?

In the menu I also enabled system automation for the preamp in case that helped. It didn’t.

The front panel play button starts the test & stop stops it. You can’t use the Atom remote as it doesn’t use IR.
After you press the front panel play button, press some remote buttons. See if some numbers appear where it says None in you picture.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I did. Nothing appeared to change.

Bruce

Ok - try the 552 remote. If that doesn’t produce any numbers, then it looks like the NDS has a fault. :frowning_face:

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks for your input.

Now to retrieve the 552 remote from the loft!

Bruce

There is a mod that may have been missed while it was with us. See here: Nds remote has stopped working

It will be covered under our repair warranty though, so you may as well return it.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Nds remote has stopped working:

Pity they didn’t modify it and test it on bench before sending out.
QC :-1:t2:

2 Likes

No crisis. I have emailed support. I have always had great customer service from Naim.

Bruce

4 Likes

I had same problem. And the fascia was damaged! Back to your dealer. The remote sensor is behind the screen and can get dislodged when replacing the screen. It’s held in with glue or tape apparently.

Mine took about 4 months to sort out!

2 Likes

I had the same problem some years ago after NDS went in for a new screen. Reported on here and via support. Never got sorted. Have to use two remotes, one for the NDS and one for the pre. Apparantly this ‘never happens’ and is ‘unheard of’. Hey ho.

1 Like

Why didn’t you take it up with your dealer who organised the service for the new screen? That would have been the correct course of action for getting it fixed.

2 Likes

I would have gone back to the dealer, that’s where you paid your repair costs?..…they are the ones to sort it out …….

1 Like