NDS remote not working after new screen fitted by Naim

I have informed my dealer and Naim support. Awaiting action. I am confident it will be dealt with.

Bruce

3 Likes

I did, they had no idea and told me to contact Naim support…

1 Like

Naim support have given me a slightly different key sequence to try to reset things. Not had a chance to try this yet.

The forum is almost right. It’s the ‘almost’ part that has stopped the remote pairing.

To pair your remote, please follow these steps.

Start your NDS and allow it to boot up. You don’t need to do anything during start up.

When the NDS is on, press the Aux - i - Disp buttons on the remote simultaneously.

Then press - Aux - i - 1.

If ‘1’ doesn’t work, repeat the process with ‘2’ - i.e. Aux - i - 2

The Aux - i - Disp command puts the remote into program mode, but without the other part (Aux - i - 1), it will not know which set of IR codes to use.

After pairing, simply leave the remote, it will lock the codes automatically.

Bruce

With my NDS, the screen failed. So I got a replacement one fixed by Naim. The NDS came back and remote didn’t work at all. I told dealer and informed them of the remote not working and an additional nick on fascia. There was one on top of unit already.

It took some time but Naim managed to source a replacement fascia and the unit returned with the remote working. So my NDS looks better than when I bought it used.

Minimal time was spent with the unit being away from me and was only sent off when Naim had a solution with the fascia.

Obviously there is going to be quite alot going on in the communication chain with problems like these. Ultimately I am very happy with how Naim and Audio T Brighton dealt with a difficult and at times frustrating situation.

It seems to me that there are quite a few problems with NDSs coming back after having screens replaced with remote not working. This is an issue for Naim servicing and needs to be addressed. Quality control to ensure that once screens are fitted that remotes work.

I am very happy with new fascia. They managed to get hold of a redundant unit where they could replace the front fascia panel. So overall well done Naim! It took about 4 months to get resolved.

These things are never straightforward!

1 Like

I did push this along, it has to be said. And the dealer pushed it as well. These things are very frustrating. I was using the NDS as DAC only so wasn’t so bad. And when away I had my ND5XS2 which made things bearable.

Ta for that. Will give it a go!

I was told this. It turns out that the remote sensor becomes dislodged from the screen normally and then it can’t read the remote. Held in with glue.

Anyway I had months of this and trying to explain it all over and over again.

A bad memory. All sorted in the end.

Thing to remember is this: what’s pertinent and important to you, noone else really gets. Push to get it fixed with your dealer. This was the flagship streamer. And it’s a special piece of kit. Looked after and with new screen will be good for quite a while until screen goes in 10 years!

Well, I tried it and it gave me control of the 252 - yay! Unfortunately, it now won’t control the NDS. So I now have two remotes for the 252 and none for the NDS - boo! Anyone know how to get the blasted thing to control both the 252 and the NDS? I know it can do it, as it did it before it went to Salisbury. Failing that, anyone know how to get it to control the NDS again, at least I will have a remote then!

Have just spotted this thread and am willing to put in my penny’s worth…

My hunch is that, whilst replacing the OLED display on the NDS, the small ribbon cable that links the combined logo/remote sensor to the front panel board has not been reconnected correctly and thus the sensor is not transferring the IR codes it receives across to the streamer.

Either that or the logo/remote sensor itself has failed and needs replacing.

Having undertaken “OC” logo replacements (NB there are three different versions btw) on various Naim products many times over the years, this is a simple enough job for any competent technician.

Just remember to fit the NDS’s suspension locking screws before turning the NDS upside down to access the outer sleeve’s Allen bolts!

Hope this helps.

Tony
Basically Sound

5 Likes

Well this is completely different from the written instructions I still have from Naim a few years ago when these old streamers were current and different from what @NeilS has told us a few times here. So it will be interesting to hear whether it works for you.

I suspect that it’s a different way to get to the same outcome. If you do the key press during the streamer start up (while the splash screen is there), then the remote does know what code to use because it gets it from the streamer. Also the method I described has worked for me several times, including a few weeks ago.

Yes, I’m afraid our tech support agent has been misinformed. :face_with_peeking_eye:
Aux, i, Disp is the default IR system code (21), there is no “program mode”
Aux, i, 1 (2,3,4,etc.) are for different system codes (used to prevent unwanted crosstalk)
Pointing the remote at the unit (when perfoming the above) while the splash screen is showing will change the unit system code to match the remote.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Thanks all.

The solution suggested by support didn’t work. I suspect the IR receiver is indeed faulty. Naim agree and are taking it back and promise a priority repair.

Since doing the ‘reset’ sequence on the remote as suggested by Naim my 552 no longer responds to it either though. Sigh. I am sending the remote away with the NDS to ensure they get them working together. Hopefully it will work with the 552 as it did before when it comes back. I guess I could use the ‘slab’ R-com if I have to. My searches have failed to find another Narcom in any of my old boxes.

Bruce

1 Like

@BruceW might be worth reading this thread again

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your time in responding, appreciated.
Sorry to say, I’m still confused. Could you tell me the clear steps to to take to get the remote working with the 252 and the NDS? Assume stupidity on my part, the simpler, the better! Many thanks.

Switch the NDS on, while it’s showing “NDS” in big letters on the screen, press Aux, I & the Disp buttons on the remote simultaneously while pointing it at the unit.
You need to be quick, as you only have a few seconds!

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks, I recall that thread as I started it!

When I get everything back I’ll hopefully be able to get the remote working with both. It did before.

Bruce

The point is that the NDS remote doesn’t work with your 552. You had system automation set up and so you could control your 552 via your NDS. It was explained in your earlier thread (and yes I realise you started that thread).

Seems like the right result…? A Priority Fix.

1 Like

I don’t understand.

The remote I was using, wherever it originated from, worked with both NDS and 552 prior to the new screen fitment. They are not connected by a system automation cable. It didn’t work with the NDS afterwards but it did still work with the 552. I am not sure how that fits with the above; it appears the NDS wasn’t responding at all to the remote (as appears to be shown case via the setup screen) yet it still managed to control source and volume on the 552.

I’m confident that Naim will sort it as a priority.

Bruce

Well best I bow out of this discussion as I don’t have an NDS or a 552 personally. I’m sure it will get fixed anyway.