NDX 2 or NSC 222?

800 → 810 sound like more of a small update/improvement to me than a whole new design that would be functionally different. But my speculation is as good as yours.

1 Like

If these shakes some NDX2’s free, onto the pre-loved market… Then I am all in favour…!!
But - I think it will still be too much for me to stretch to - ££££… :astonished:

4 Likes

After me in line please!

2 Likes

If a s/h NDX2 looks like a lot of money, you’re right of course. Several people compared SQ of ND5XS2 plus nDAC to NDX2. The latter is cheaper and almost no one suggests much SQ difference.

3 Likes

But in s/h money, the difference is not that big. I’d say that a s/h ndx2 costs more or less the same as a nDac & nd5xs2.

1 Like

That’s fair, but the combination is another option to watch for opportunities- the best purchase prices I noticed recently would have delivered the two for less than £3k.

2 Likes

Hi @IanRobertM,

NDX 2 and new classic streaming products all use the NP800 (our custom streaming card from StreamUnlimited).

It will not use the 810 card. The NP800 has master mode clocking, larger memory and LVDS for low noise digital board to board connection.

10 Likes

Well, it does bring a preamp that should be good enough for a NC 250.

OK… Lets form an orderly queue…!!

1 Like

@110dB - Thank you for confirming. Am sure this will be useful to those considering the NSC222.

1 Like

…. And useful to know for original classic streamers, since it’s more likely that they get supported longer since the most aging part - the streamer board - is the same as in the new classic streamers.

1 Like

You go first, I’ve just smashed the best part of 1000 euros into service for two of my amps.

2 Likes

A left-field choice. You could consider a Linn Klimax DS3 streamer. Just another option to think about.

Since the New generation Klimax was released, there are a number available as people are upgrading. Plus you can always add the Organik DAC at a later stage.

When I was looking for my streamer, I did prefer the sound of the Linn Klimax DS3 / Katalyst against the Naim NDX 2 and they were similar prices. In the end, I did go the Linn route.

DG…

2 Likes

I need to find about GB£400 to replaced my very old DV10X first…!!
And then I will need to service my NAP250 - which will likely be about GB£300.

A pre-loved NDX2 (but very recent) is currently listed at a well known UK dealers for GB£3,999 - way beyond me, sadly.

1 Like

Ian, If you don’t need the latest streaming tech, then the NDS is an absolute performance bargain these days and you already have an XPS2…

3 Likes

Mmmmm… This, I know… But I am wary of the ‘old’ tech… :thinking:

(I know some will quickly say that all the problems can be worked around, using this and that and a Raspbery Pi. Not for me, sorry… :expressionless: )

2 Likes

Well let’s see. I hope for sure you don’t influence their pricing. What metric did you use to forecast that one then. I will of course be making an inappropriate joke if you are way off the mark :rofl:

You may prefer NSC222 over NDX2 but it could prove a limiter on your system in the longer term due to integrated pre.

A better comparison might be NSC222 v NDX2+282

5 Likes

It’s the way Naim has always been, with approximate doubling as you go up the range. Whatever, it won’t be cheap. As a brief aside, I’m just amazed at how good my little Nova is. It didn’t work at all well with my then ProAc speakers, but with the PMCs it’s just great. There is all this talk of the big stuff, but you don’t need to spend huge sums - setting aside the fact that in the real world £4,800 is an awful lot of money - to get great sound. It’s all a matter of getting a copacetic match.

9 Likes

I don’t doubt it. When all things are considered…. A decent room, supply, non plonk and play setup and pieces (not necessarily 500+) that work well together can be very enjoyable. My old serviced CB 42/110 amps have hit that one home to me.

2 Likes