Ndx 2

an NDAC needs a (very) good streamer… what’s the source, what is the digital cable…

That’s great news marcusman! I hope it all turns out well for you as i may well be joining you. Never a dull moment here in Naim land! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

How would a NDX5 XS 2 with a DC1 -BNC to BNC cable stack up? That is what i would use but i have no idea of the outcome. For me they would all be pure chancing it blind purchases, including the DAC itself.

I’m glad I sold mine for $1500 a few months ago.

No idea as I haven’t heard them side by side

Depends it you want a 3 box source Nd5xs2 Ndac and xpsdr

I don’t !

2 Likes

Your ND5XS2 would be a great source for the DAC. I found the DC1 cable to be very stiff and unweildy (in fact, a typical Naim cable!) and use a much cheaper alternative which is the right length, and can be dressed neatly. Still sounds good to me.

1 Like

Stiff cables are nothing new here…
I use BJC 6a & Vodka Ethernet cables along with HiLine and NAC A5. DC1 will be in good company. :grin:

Ok Chris thanks for your reply. Just to clarify here regarding connecting up with the DAC. ND5 XS 2 > DC1 BNC to BNC > DAC > HiLine > SN3. Is this correct? Many thanks.

1 Like

Yes, that’s how you connect it. I’ve noticed that your clear decision to go with the NDX2 has changed since yesterday. Why is that? If you get the dac, will it remove the desire for an NDX2? Will you then want a power supply for the dac? Decide these things before jumping. Just because you can get the dac relatively cheaply doesn’t make it a bargain if another route is better.

4 Likes

My heart is telling me to go for the NDX 2 and that is what i plan on doing. As for the NDAC i’m just fishing for knowledge really and am curious as to why some folks would go down the DAC route as opposed to the NDX 2. I’m told that the ND5 XS 2 and NDX 2 share the same digital stages and it’s only their DAC and filtering stages that are different. If that being the case then i’m very keen on what a NDAC may bring instead, it doesn’t necessarily mean that i will choose that route of course.

From this thread thread one member is already going down the DAC route. It’s all harmless fun.

1 Like

You’ll probably find that it’s people who have bought a dac suggest that’s a good idea, and those who’ve got an NDX2 suggest that route. What you really need is real feedback from those who have tried both, and they must of course be those whom you feel you can trust.

It’s a bit odd that Naim fit these digital outputs and yet don’t make a dac. I wonder what the thinking is there. It’s almost like saying put someone else’s dac in the chain, which will change the sound in an unpredictable way.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly that too. @GraemeH here has done just that and i trust his experience & knowledge, which is how i have pretty much came to my conclusion yesterday and is in keeping with what my heart is telling me. GreameH has pretty much nailed it for me so far. On the other hand the world can be full of surprises, so i’m also interested in marcusman’s outcome too, as we both have very similar systems.

1 Like

One of the key points in Graeme’s response is that in his view the NDX2/XPSDR is preferable to the dac options. That doesn’t mean that the ND5XS/nDAC isn’t better than the bare NDX2. That is why I suggested considering how you feel about adding a power supply and knowing where you want to go.

You may find that a Chord Hugo on the 5XS3 is better than any other option. I’m not recommending it but a lot of people have gone that way and been really happy. I think that waiting for the shop to open and then trying the options is the only way, otherwise you’ll get more confused.

2 Likes

Hi Mango which cables are you using on the big 500 system, and also on the 282 system?

Interconnect/DIn/XLR and speaker cables.

I would suggest you try the ND5XS>DC1>Chord TT2, and you could later add an Mscaler to the TT2. I use the TT2 and Mscaler fed from the Naim Core, and prefer it to the NDS/XPSDR I used to own. You should be able to find a dealer willing to lend you a black one in the UK. Looks nice on the Fraim rack too, and you are separating the DAC from the streamer, that does not need an expensive power supply and cable to work right.

4 Likes

Yes i agree. At this stage in the game i feel i’m very much in need of my dealer. Normally, i would just make my own mind up and be done with it, but for someone like myself this is a lot of money at stake. It has to be the right decision taken. Thanks again for your advice.

Whatever came with the black boxes and naca5. Exception:SL speaker cable in the 500 system.

Other cables might be better but I don’t care enough to try them out. Even Ethernet cable I’ve moved back to blue jeans cables.

My philosophy now is to identify a problem and fix it - rather than go after the next improvement.

2 Likes

so are you still using the SL speaker cable, I thought you didn’t like them after 8 months of usage?

It’s a possibility for sure but i’ d rather stick with Naim and not mix ‘n’ match. Thanks

1 Like

Interesting point about finding yourself able to finish your journey quicker than you thought you could. In the prevailing circumstances, and the absence of holiday’s, I too am finding myself able to contemplate upgrades I would not otherwise have considered. In my case an upgrade to my LP12 that also allows me to take advantage of the Karousel offer.

2 Likes

Morning @frenchrooster - it may have been you that mentioned this to me previously (adding an Ndac) so hope you don’t mind me asking again, but how does the Ndac fit in to the ND5 XS2 system - I’m intrigued by this idea, particularly given the 2nd price over on the Bay.