NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

I like the remote and find it works well.

G

1 Like

Regarding the NDX 2, No problem with the front buttons or the remote…

2 Likes

I guess it’s just a matter of getting used to the change and it’s all fine in reality. Re the display options, if I switch off during playback in the app then it stays off completely regardless of changing sources within the app - is that correct? On the Nova if you changed album or radio station for example it would come on briefly. Also, there is no proximity sensor for the display?

Does anyone know if you still have a power line plugged into the NDX2 when linking it with XPS DR? At the moment have just put one in the XPS DR then the burndy linked to the NDX2. Didn’t know if the NDX2 needed a powerline plug as well as the burndy cable from the xps dr. Just opened, wanted to make sure I was doing it right… thanks

Hey @Mon, when you say power line, I assume your are talking about the mains power cable? It should be removed from NDX 2. Mains power cable to XPS DR, Burndy between NDX 2 and XPS DR, 5 pin DIN NDX 2 to amplifier.

3 Likes

Uniti Firmware update is here, NDX 2 update to follow soon.

1 Like

I have to say am not the least bit blown away by the XPSDR psu added to the SN3 and NDX2. What are other people’s experiences? For the price was expecting a lot more, it’s barely noticeable in all honesty. Is it a run in thing? When I got a Super Lumina interconnect was really happy, powerlines there was a difference, the XPSDR… barely even noticed a difference. It’s ex demo and at the min am pretty sure I’m going to take it back. For the price not what I expected. Think I’d be better saving my money and investing in the 555psdr or upgrading the SN3 to separates down the line. Really deflated, was so excited!

Any similar experiences please share.

Thanks

That’s unusual, maybe run it for a few more days and then remove and see can you notice it’s absence

2 Likes

…adding the XPS DR to my NDX 2 was a very noticeable and positive upgrade. Yes, it was expensive from my point of view and may have been able to live without it, but having had it in the house for a long demo I went ahead and placed the order.

A Very Happy & Satisfied Customer!

3 Likes

Don’t worry - the SN3 is an excellent amp in its own right.

1 Like

Will give it a few more days like hollow said. Have been full of cold the last couple of days, maybe my ears are blocked :slight_smile: appreciate the feedback seakayker. Nice to hear from someone with a similar setup. Have mine installed in a tv unit, maybe the burndy is a little crammed (possibly having a negative effect) but nowhere else really to put it unfortunately…

A few things have really surprised me about the NDX2 & SN3 combo, there are albums that I like and would have listened to regularly on the Nova (tidal & rips) but at the same time they never sounded great, Cara Dillon Sweet Liberty is an example - I put this down to perhaps bad recordings, poor mastering or whatever. I fully expected the increased transparency and detail of the NDX2 to exaggerate these shortcomings but in fact the opposite has happened and they sound marvellous, particularly cd rips coming off my Zen, I’m now listening to albums I wouldn’t have bothered to previously. Plenty of material sounded excellent on the Nova and it was great but I’m really surprised by the stuff that dident and how it sounds now on the NDX2. Lower noise floor perhaps.

5 Likes

I love the NDX2. Think it’s an incredible combo with the SN3, has kept improving too. The power supply upgrade, not so sure, I hope I’ll be proven wrong in the next couple of days. For something more expensive than the SN3 outright, would expect a real lift in performance. The SL was a much bigger lift than the XPSDR, hopefully in just needs to merge with everything in time. May sound silly saying, but things do seem to improve with naim with time…

1 Like

Hi @Hollow, just checked your details and see that you have the same system as me but with Spendor A7 speakers - I am seriously considering these.
Bit of a mad request but is it possible for you to place yours 15cm from a rear wall and describe your findings?
Completely understand if this is a request too far.

A bit difficult for me to do I’m afraid, mine are 500mm from the wall with a 20mm offset for toe in. How they’ll perform at 150mm will be completely room dependant anyway but they are renowned for being not too fussy in terms of placement. Really a home demo is your man so I’d try for that. They’re great speakers and good value too. Lots of detail and bass with a lovely midrange, I don’t regard them particularly but if you read the what hifi review online I think it sums them up quite accurately in fairness! Beautifully finished too. I had Dynaudio S40’s at home for a good while and although quite punchy the A7’s were so much better in terms of detail, realism and nuance

1 Like

Thanks @Hollow, I will obviously have a dealer demo then a home demo. I particularly like the look and size of these and the Dynaudio evoke 30s.
Rightly or wrongly I won’t take any notice of what WHF say, I have zero respect for their reviews. However, I do respect the views of good people like yourself (won’t take your views as gospel though :smirk:) as a foundation to create a short list to audition.
It will be very important to engage the services of a respected dealer but I want to narrow down my list of contenders and then really only have one contender for an extended home trial.
Great to hear your comments on physical quality and value for money.

Installation of the power supply is critical. If the boxes are placed one on top of the other the result is poor performance. If the Burndy is twisted or put under stress in order to fit the sockets, or is touching the wall or floor then the result can be poor performance. If you still aren’t happy with the addition of the XPS DR after the first few days of running in the first you need to double check the installation. In particular spend a bit of time manipulating and de-stressing the Burndy cable. To do this hold each connector in your hand (orientated so they are exactly like the sockets), then gently twist the connectors a little back and forth while you gently swing the cable. Make sure you’re alone when you do this - onlookers may think you’ve gone loopy! After you do this for a little while you should find that the connectors stay in their perfectly orientated position and the cable is nicely U shaped with no fighting twist. You should be able to offer up the connectors to the kit with no resistance. This is an ideal install. I do this every time I prepare a Bunrdy cable just before connection. It makes a remarkable difference.

3 Likes

For me, with an NDX2 and SN2 adding the XPS DR was a very obvious and immediate improvement - much wider separation, clearer highs and lows, lower noise floor with more detail, improvements across the full dynamics. I’d follow Richards advice above. Can you also post some photos of your set up for us to comment on? I’d be fairly confident that this is a setup issue for you.

3 Likes

4 Likes

The SN3 is on top
NDX2 middle
XPSDR bottom

Really tricky for me give leeway to the burndy with current installation. SN3 needs to be on top really due to wires and heat, plus needs to be close to the Turntable as that wire isn’t too long… I know not as ideal as a fraim racks, but in a London apartment trying to save space is a must… maybe I could put the NDX2 on the top as well might help (Don’t really use that Xbox one anyway), guess I could pull the tv unit out a bit too…kinda of defeats my initial hope for just a 3 box system to sit there. Have uninstalled my denon tv amp to avoid crossover of wires - now running tv through the dynaudios despite the unusual positioning (balance helps with this) have a nice view so like the speakers there.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Will try to reset the burndy somehow. But really gonna struggle for it to hang…