NDX & SUPERNAIT Thread

The Evoke 50 are a big step up from the 40s and I’m a big fan of the 40s. The bass on the Evoke 50 is brilliant and well controlled by the SN3.
The NDX2 and SN3 have more detail and bigger sound stage than the Nova.
I’ve spent twice as much but the SQ justifies it. I must admit the XPS DR makes a big difference to the NDX2.

1 Like

What are the differences you are hearing? Are they subtle or very obvious? Presumably you’ve disconnected it for comparison? I’m interested but find the cost hard to swallow, unfortunately my dealer has no demo units to test

…the difference is very obvious and not subtle at all. I would not demo one unless you are willing to pay for one. There have been many comments and discussions regarding the NDX 2 with the XPS DR. In the search window type in NDX2 XPS DR and you will find plenty to read. Search is your friend…

1 Like

thanks SK, yes I’ve seen all the comments but you get the usual generic things like ‘improved sound stage’ ‘tighter bass’ etc etc

Hi Tolomeo,

I found the Nova to sound really good, with loads of details and just easy to listen to. The Nova is also a very nice match with Neat Xplorers. With the addition of the Melco, it just sounded fantastic, well balanced, more natural sounding, no edge at all. With additional tweaks like using Track Audio floor protectors to decouple the speakers from the wood floors, a Cisco router, AQ Vodka ethernet cables, a few Powerlines and a Fraim Lite - all helped improved the overall results. I felt I had optimized my kit as much as I could, taken it as far I could. The result was a well balance presentation, musical and non fatiguing.

I then decided I wanted to make a move towards stand alone streamer and amp to eventually move back to a pre/power setup. This would have to be done in multiple steps due to budget constraints. Purchased an NDX2/SN3 and the first impression was that it was way too bright. Nowhere are pleasant as the Nova. The SN3 volume pot was (and still is) way to sensitive so I could not bring the volume past the 8 o’clock position. If I do, it becomes overbearing, glaring and loud. I’ve know had this system for a few months and it has improved, particularly the streamer, which sounds great regardless of which amp it is being used with. As for the SN3, I am not entirely sure I like it. It sounds drier than a Nova. The SN3 produces deeper bass but I find the top end has an edge which I was not hearing with the Nova. The Nova seems to offer slightly softer/less edge.

So now I find myself questioning what changes I need to make. Perhaps the speakers are no longer a good match, perhaps use another integrated amp from another manufacturer, perhaps it is my room ? I know the SN3 needs more time to burn in but given what these units cost, I should have had a “wow” moment, even if I’ve not had a chance to put 200-400 hours on it.

Hi Jim

As I am also learning, sometimes upgrading to more resolving front end with more power can cause havoc !

I sold in order to help fund a home reno project.

Something to be said for simplifying. The Nova/Neat/Melco setup is not as transparent, revealing and superior to a NDX2/SN3 but it sounded right.

1 Like

I personally auditioned XPS Dr on the NDX and NDX2 and couldn’t hear much of a difference. Nothing like the difference of adding a SL interconnect for instance or adding the HicapDR.
When the time is right I will be listening to the 555ps as an ex dem is not way off new XPS money.

Greater clarity and focus. Although it was a significant extra cost it was, to me, money well spent.

Thanks, if anything my system is a little on the bright side particularly in the upper mids so I’m reluctant to add to that in any way

With the Evoke 50 having a very good bass I’ve probably found a good combination with the NDX2 and SN3.

1 Like

That’s the crux of it.

I have both systems, a Nova and a SN2/NDX2 with power supplies. Both excellent at their price point and I’d happy live with either. The SN2/NDX2 is significantly better for the larger room it is in.

1 Like

why not leave it playing on extreme lowest volume when not listening - that should run it in quicker…

1 Like

I have a SN2 and ran it for awhile with a 3rd party Supercap… in combination with either NDX + Hugo v1… or with my NDX 2… it was seriously outstanding. A power supply makes an immense difference with this combo… in my opinion it could be an elegant relatively compact end game system.

At the moment I’m back to running my 552 DR with a 250… and it’s clearly superior as one would expect… but if I got rid of the 552 I could happily live with the SN 2 + ps.

6 Likes

Hi Ants, thank you very much for the details. Very helpful and I hope you can achieve the enjoyment you had with the Nova also with the new setup.

1 Like

I hope so as well. Last night I seemed to have had a breakthrough and had the “wow” moment while listening to the latest Mercury Rev release, a tribute to Bobbie Gentry. It sounded rather special and could finally acknowledge just how incredibly detailed and layered the recording was. It was actually quite spectacular to listen to.

However, I am still using the NDX2 in variable mode with the digital volume set to 70 and the SN3 at the 9 o’clock setting. At this time, this offers the best solution and volume control without edge or harshness.

According to the support team at Naim, using the variable output of the NDX-2 will cause a small reduction in sound quality. I have asked if there is a magic number to hit in order to eliminate this. Waiting for reply.

In the meantime, I am leaving the SN3 streaming music all day hoping to improve things moving forward and enjoy a few more tunes.

3 Likes

Hey John just ordered a Hicap DR. Does the SN3 and Hicap DR both need to be plugged in? Also have a powerline on the SN3 would it be better switched to the HiCap DR?
Also have a powerline in the XPSDR feeding the NDX2. You have a similar setup so just wanted to make sure I set it up correctly. The Dynaudio Evoke 50s look good… have the Special 40s at the min as am in an apartment, will defo be checking out the 50s if I move though…

I’d have the Powerline on the Hicap as is powering the Preamp of the Supernait.

1 Like

I use a G3 power block with a power line to the mains. Use your best cable on the power supply would be my suggestion but it often pays to switch them about to find the best combination.
Both the Hi Cap and SN3 need connecting to the mains.
There is a Naim connection diagram which you can download from their site.
The Special 40s were very good but the Evokes 50s are a big improvement as they have a greater range and bigger soundstage. We were at a concert the other night and my wife said she wouldn’t have minded staying home and listening to it on the hi fi. I’ve listened to a number of different speaker brands during the past two years and believe that Dynaudio is a very good fit with Naim.

1 Like

…after visiting my local Naim dealer yesterday I returned home with his HiCap DR to use with my SN 2. In place for 24+ hours with a noticeable uplift in the detail and soundstage, including unsolicited positive comments from the wife that the system was sounding much better. I am going to be listening for three or four more days before getting back to him. So far I’m leaning towards a purchase before the next price increases but I like to have it in my system for several days before making a final decision. Life is Grand

6 Likes

Added Powerlines to the HiCAP and SN2 yesterday (I already had one on the XPS DR feeding the NDX2). It was more of an improvement than I was expecting when I tried it on headphones with more slam and resolution with a lower noise floor and tighter bottom end. This was obvious played through the speakers as well.

There must be synergy with Powerlines across the system. Certainty a good upgrade.