NDX2 and NSS333

Yes, that is correct.

I initially tried the NDX2 without a power supply but the sound quality was way below my previous setup so I then moved the 555PS onto the NDX2 but I still didn’t gel with it.

So far I have only listened to the NSS333 with the NPX300 attached to it. I figured I needed to give it a fair chance comparison against NDX2/555PS and ND555/555PS

5 Likes

Re the system automation point… I have the 333 and SN2, connected via 3.5mm cable and the 333 remote and app can control SN2 volume… if that’s what was being referred to as SA

3 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed that the remote sockets offer electrical as well as optical connection, presumably using dual purpose sockets. Certainly useful for Classic vs New Classic compatibility. @JimDog and @IainO - I may have misinformed you here!

2 Likes

There’s also this config screen in the app, which is I think what you mean… now I’ve enabled it the remote no longer controls the SN2, but clearly there is some functionality there!

Thanks for reminding me of this @mctaff , i had completely forgotten about this possibility.
I have the 333 + SN2 also, and nipped up to the loft to retrieve the SN2 remote, unused since i bought it in 2015. This will save me an extra remote knocking around!
Is it just a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable i need to connect?

Yup. There seem to be 2 ports on the 333, I used no1… SN2 just has one

Then in app enable one of the non fixed volume modes… but leave SA off… that allows SN vol via app or 333 remote. Turning SA on seems to stop it working which feels a bit weird!

1 Like

So could I control volume (and other functions of my 52) via the Naim app?

I can with the SN2 certainly - volume that is

The SA config in the app alludes to other control over classic preamps, but nothing happens when I enable it… in fact it stops the volume control working

Clearly this function is supposed to do something, but the manual doesn’t give anything away

Edit: I’ve been messing around and the SA function enables me to change SN inputs via app and volume. For some reason the remote volume stops working when SA enabled though which is annoying!

I don’t think olive gear had system automation, so you would need a Classic or New Classic preamp.

1 Like

Works a treat, thanks @mctaff :+1:

One question and one observation.

Question: where have you set your SN2 volume knob? I’ve left mine at ~9 o clock….just in case anything goes wrong, wondering on your use case

Observation: not sure whether it’s because of a slight bug using Roon, but my SN2 input switches from ‘CD’ (which is what the NS333 is plugged into) to ‘Aux’ for some strange reason. Can’t quite pinpoint when/why it does it but it’s done it a couple of times so far, presumably will happen on an ongoing basis.

It did the aux switch on me once … no idea why… not happened since

I’ve got vol around 9 too… that gives the streamer a good range of control… 8 or below and it was a bit quiet

Have you tried the volume control settings in the app, or SA, or both? Does SA stop the 333 remote volume working on yours? I’ve emailed naim to see if it’s a bug

You ideally would use the fixed output, as SQ is better.

I did wonder about SQ.

doesn’t fixed prevent me using the remote/app, which is the only use case for the SA?

I suppose I could still use it for switching inputs… but I’ve only got one input and if I need the SN remote for volume then I’d use it for everything. It’s a nasty cheap piece of plastic so I’ve never used it to date as the nD5 remote worked directly with the amp

The fixed output of the 333 means that you are using digital control of volume, which is not ideal.

I gather you have a SN2. You should enable system automation, which lets the 333 remote, or the app, control the SN2’s volume and input switching. It will sound better that way, and it’s how Naim intend you to do things.

Ok, so you’re saying the SA config route to controlling volume works differently from the volume config route. Sounds bizarre - unsure why 2 routes would be needed - but I’ll take your word for it. Perhaps I’m missing the point!

If SA worked with the 333 remote I’d do it!

Had a test out on my NS333 and SN2 with the 3.5mm cable connected to allow system automation.

Variable volume output, and then switching on system automation means I can set the SN2 volume at 9 o clock for example, and then use the NS333 remote to adjust the digital volume, screen on NS333 shows the volume increasing/decreasing.

Fixed volume output and then switching on system automation means I can adjust the volume via the Naim app using the ‘+/-‘ buttons in the Now Playing section. (adjusting volume in the app is also possible in Variable volume output)

But the Zigbee remote does not let you control the volume in fixed volume output.

Think I’ve got that right!

Yes, same as me. Don’t get lack of volume control via remote with SA. Surely a bug

Think I might have missed this @mctaff but what is SA?

Have you connected the 333 and SN2 with the necessary cable?

I may be talking out of my hat, but it’s my understanding that the NC streamers can work with the OC preamps. The NDX2 has Zigbee and that can control a Supernait. It doesn’t control it directly but instead via the streamer.

The variable volume is only there in order to get certification from Apple or someone and is not intended as a substitute for a proper analogue volume control.

When you enable SA, the variable output of the streamer is automatically disabled.

System automation :upside_down_face:

1 Like