NDX2 Connection

NDX 2 to 252. Snaic band nearest the pre amp?

The instructions are not clear.

Thanks.

The end with the cable direction marker always goes into the signal source. And it seems you mean an interconnect, the snaic (5-pin DIN) goes between 252 and SC (with direction marker end into the 252).

The snaic and burndy direction is shown in all amplifier manuals, but apparently the interconnect direction isn’t, at least I could not find it - and the NDX2 leaflet is of little help

2 Likes

The banded end of the SNAIC always goes closest to the source of the music signal, so in your case closest to the NDX2.

2 Likes

Correct. Always. NaimLore.

2 Likes

Just so that I am really clear (sorry) the band on the the 5 pin Snaic interconnect between NDX 2 and 252 is nearer to the NDX2?

Yes.

And just to avoid confusion, the interconnect is an interconnect and not a SNAIC. A bit more info here in the FAQ;

1 Like

An arrow would be helpful. Not a band.

1 Like

Agreed!

Though only if it said what it means :slightly_smiling_face: Like an Arrow with the text “source” next to it. But even then it may not be totally clear with snaics like between 252 and SC, without a glance into the instructions.

My Chord Sarums have arrows and I would not have known if they are supposed to point to the signal source or to the direction of signal travel, if the leaflet had not told me

Seems to me that what’s really missing is instructions in the NDX2 quick start guide. The band would probably have worked for you if the guide had told you what to do with it

If I see an arrow it would mean the direction in which the music flows.
Ndx2>282>power amp>speakers.
Same thing with power supplies.
Xspdr>Ndx2
HC>282.
Etc.
Or colour code each end.

It’s not that simple though. In the case of the NDX and XPS the band goes at the NDX end. There is no music signal in the lead, just power. The best solution is really a decent manual, or at least clarity in the quick start guide.

1 Like

So not even consistent then. I assumed ( better check mine now) that the band or arrow would be at the source end( in the case of a power supply, the source of the power).
And yes, decent instructions may help.

It’s simple - the direction marker band always goes at the end that is the source of the music signal. Hence XPS band goes at the NDX end.

It is consistent, just not so easy. In the PS case, the source of the music is the head unit and its signal modulates the higher current in the PS.

But at least in the snaic and burndy cases, it is all pretty clearly laid out in the manuals. For the sources not so much maybe, at least not in the NDX2’s missing manual (and no info in the quick guide that I can see)

Yeah, but that’s for you. Can’t assume that this is the universal automatic understanding. I am sure if there were arrows he questions would be “which way should the arrows point?”

How about an arrow, then an explanation?
Colours at both end works the best? Idiot proof.

If an arrow needs an explanation it’s hardly that useful. The NDX2 quick start guide shows the Burndy direction very clearly.

1 Like

Richard, it’s simple to you and it’s simple to me. We’ve owned Naim systems since some Forum members were in nappies and we can wire up Naim systems with our eyes closed. In the case of the interconnect, the quick start guide could be clearer. Maybe @Naim.Marketing could add this to the never ending list of improvements. It could be changed online really easily, though the physical versions would take longer.

Nigel, by simple I mean the concept of “band at source of music end”. That’s all anyone needs to know, and from there it’s relatively simple to work out without the need for illustrations, special arrows etc., but yes, I take your point, one can always work towards trying to make things clearer and easier to understand.

Funny you talk about wiring up Naim systems with eyes closed; hooking up a system while blindfolded was part of dealer training at the factory. The banded collar really helped with that - printed arrows wouldn’t have been so easy.

Here is the ‘what’s in the box’ page. All it needs is to actually show the band on the cable, and then say ‘band at source end’. Job done.

Of course, the dealer is there to advise. Or at least, they are meant to.