Network problems with ND5XS2 and NAS drive

because i went through these issues for pretty much 12 months, tried various different routers etc, EE switch, cables n all that good stuff. if you look at what is actually happening on your network you would see what i mean.

With mine its BT HUB into cisco then into nds. i use my phone with the naim app on.

with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz switched on, my phone swapps from 2.4ghz to 5 quite often, when it does and the naim app goes onto the next track etc the player locks up. the app will then show “another app connected” im assuming this is on the other frequency. im not a networking person but thats the best i can explain it. my nds has not locked up using tidal or my nas in a long time.

i think your issue will come back because by unplugging everything, taking switches out and powering down everything will have soft reset. like i say the issue isnt on your network, its your device swapping over from 2.4 to 5ghz randomly

Certainly you DONT need a managed switch. Managed just means that you can configure them further if you wish for minor improvements, and some GURU people do that on their Cisco. However Cisco 2960 that has been reset to standard, should be pretty good without changes.

IGMP as mentioned by others also, is just better at managing your Media devices data. However it may be that your Router already supports this, but I havent seen you mention its make/model (sorry if I missed it).

If your router does support IGMP, IMO the next step would be just get/borrow an EE8 to run off from your router, and plug in your Steamer and NAS

If your router does not support IGMP, IMO the next step would still be to get/borrow an EE8 to run off from your router, and plug in your Steamer and NAS, and then possibly later consider a separate IGMP supported switch for your TV/Sky/etc, but suspect you may notice little or no change for this last step.

Just for you Dan, I’ve been lying on the floor and extracting my switch from beneath the dresser. Having ditched the 2960, this had been faultless.

Connect an EE8 to it, just for the hifi, and connect everything else direct to the Cisco.

2 Likes

even your resident spider likes it mate!lol

Did you ever press and hold the small red button on the back of the Cisco 2960?

From memory, this resets it.

1 Like

I didn’t do it this time. The Cisco is off the system now. Just enjoying the music right now.

Be interesting if @Damien0 is right. I have been on my settings on my smart phone and there is not a setting on there to change from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz. At least I cannot see it!

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

if its a bt hub, it gives you the option to turn both off, one off or the other mate. i can try ande find the setting for you if you want?

1 Like

Its a Sky hub and uses 2.4GHz and 5 GHz.

i have never tried the sky one mate, on the bt one you pop the ip of the hub into a browser, hit the wireless section, gives you the options to toggle them on and off

1 Like

I’m not sure this will work on smart phone.

It’s much more limited as to what you can do!

it might do if you open a browser, iv only ever done it on my mac though

1 Like

is that via a sky app type thing?

1 Like

I have entered IP address in browser and says site can’t be reached.

one sec will try on mine see what it does

1 Like

it comes up on my phone straight away, just make sure in the address bar its just the ip address your typing in…im guessing that makes a difference but im no computer nerd

1 Like

That’s what I did IP address only.

Let’s see how things go for now. The set up is working well at present. If the problem persists I will have to get a laptop set up and go into it further.

Maybe give it a few weeks and see what happens.

i think youll know over the next few days, the issue i had might be specific to bt hubs or something, im not sure but it defo fixed it.

Fingers crossed yours is just solid from now on.

I still wanna know if an nd5xs2 is better than streaming from your nds though!lol

1 Like

The connectivity is alot better with ND5XS2 used as streaming transport. My NAS drive is instant.

It was never like that before.

I don’t think the sound quaility is any different tbh.

I think the other thing is I have CB 135s, a 252 and Supercap2 so you don’t get the benefit of full DR.

Having listened to new 300 system alot at dealers what with one thing and another recently… That is much clearer and cleaner.

My system sounds more grainy in comparison but more organic.

So if you’re happy with your NDS and it all works well I wouldn’t look at ND5XS2 as an upgrade. For me it allows me better connectivity.

It’s early days and it may be the case that the only benefit of ND5XS2 is Qobuz if my networking issues are resolved.

What’s your system Damien?

When I first got ND5XS2 everything was good for 2 weeks. It seems when my kids come over Nd use XBox and other devices that then problems crop up.

So you may well be right about the 2.4 to 5GHz.

1 Like

I appreciate your help @Damien0. You’re a good man.

1 Like