New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

Not sure exactly what you heard, but a sudden stuttering that could be described as machine gun is a typical behavior that precedes a reboot like in your case.

No It wasn’t stuttering I’ve had that before when the ND reboots, this was more like a stuck mp3, very different sound

I see, interesting that there are still new surprises :slight_smile: Glad that my NDX2 has been very stable with 3.6.0. I had 2 or 3 reboots since I got it in November, and none since the 3.6.0 update. (With Roon nearly exclusively)

Just because no one has mentioned it recently :grinning:, I thought I would throw in another unexpected reboot of the NDX2 - as has usually the case, it was when using Qobuz.

I have also been having problems with the Nova including clicking relays in standby, reboots and random temperature fluctuations in standby but I think that was something completely different possibly connected with using wireless and a BT Mesh system. Touch wood, plugging in an ethernet cable to one of the mesh discs seems to have solved it. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

+1, ND555 just cut out and restarted whilst listening the Beach Boys on Quboz.
It’s the first time I’ve noticed it, work and family restricting listening time 🥲.

Are we further up the road on a solution? I’ve not read every post on this thread?

The vast majority of these reboots have clearly been fixed, reports have become rare, but as noted before there was probably not the one single big issue that caused them all, and therefore not the one single big fix, so some instances might still occur. It would help Naim if you could tell which album in which version, and even better which track was playing

1 Like

I may of missed this, sorry. How were the majority of reboots been fixed? I am on Software version 3.6.0.5106.

Actually it was The Beach Boys album “ Feel Flows” I think it was track two “The Whole World”.

If I notice it again, I will report it to Naim. Like I’ve said I’m unsure if this is the first time it has happened. It’s certainly the first time I’ve noticed it.

Many thanks for the track details, I suppose @tomvamos will be interested.

No worries, not everyone has to be crazy enough to read 718 posts about it. But that’s what I and many others are here for :wink: The fixing seems to have involved pinning down instances as they popped up, trying to figure out the cause, and fixing it. If I recall correctly, some were caused by memory leaks triggered by things like incorrectly formatted metadata or by transitions between particular tracks. So if the memory leak was triggered and memory kept filling up, it finally overflowed and the unit rebooted. There may have been other causes.

With the release of 3.6 it seems that most instances disappeared, and your version should be fine (I forgot what the release version is, been running Beta versions so long, but you can check in app > Settings > Check for updates). However, there was the occasional one posted after that, and as your example also shows it’s still more whack-a-mole.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I’ll keep an eye on it, or should that be ear!!,

Glad to have helped. I hope you will be spared further instances, but just in case you can also send a quick email to support@naimaudio.com and I’m sure they will be delighted if you can include some details. I am guessing it’s possible that the actual trigger is not the last track, so including the playlist or the previous songs on the play queue, if you can, might be extra helpful.

My NDX 2 suffers a random reboot about once a month. I am running the latest firmware and I have done the unplug the unit overnight thing. It’s not a big deal, but I would prefer if it didn’t do it.

1 Like

Every report to Naim helps, as above :slight_smile: I have not had a single one for months since 3.6 and its beta, so my hands are tied.

1 Like

I occasionally have had the NDX 2 re-boot itself and a 100% up-time would be preferable.

Not sure if we will ever see 100% with the continued evolution of technology connecting multiple vendors across platforms. Lots of opportunities to have a scenario arise that gets by testing… It seems Microsoft invented, or should I say their accountants, by shipping software prematurely then having a constant barrage of bug updates is the norm and not the exception over the past 30 years or so.

We may never see perfection…

2 Likes

I reported the reboots to Duncan of Naim. He was graciously helping me sort through it.

1 Like

My Linux PC has not crashed in many years, performing much less predictable tasks. It’s possible and should be the goal

Hi Seakayaker,

Here is an example of one of our own systems.

That system is a lot more complex than my ND555 and manages tasks a lot more complex than streaming, while interacting with other systems.

Check the up-time :

Capture

The last reboot was a maintenance reboot. That system has years of up-time. It never crashed.

Reliable and robust software is something very much possible.

Think planes, trains, satellites, etc. there are so many examples of highly robust software around us.

My ND555 still crashes on a regular basis btw.
But I don’t bother anymore :laughing:
It sounds great! :blush:

1 Like

You’re sure, you’re not short on security updates? :wink:

(We had such arguments about server uptime in the lab at work. From security perspective any Linux/Windows (general purpose) system with uptime above 31 days is considered a risk by some. But this very much depends on the systems involved and where they are placed.)

1 Like

Well, I left the same album The Beach Boys from Quboz, playing on repeat,last 24 hours…guess what….it’s still playing. Obviously if the ND555 had rebooted it would of stopped.

Go figure!

Yours confused, Dusty!!

Playing for 24 hours is quite the torture test. Not for the streamer, but for the person who has to listen to The Beach Boys! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oh yes, pretty sure.
There is a whole world outside the Linux ecosystem and, obviously, Windows.
Needing to reboot a system to patch it is, for us, an issue on its own :wink: