New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

Glad to have helped. I hope you will be spared further instances, but just in case you can also send a quick email to support@naimaudio.com and I’m sure they will be delighted if you can include some details. I am guessing it’s possible that the actual trigger is not the last track, so including the playlist or the previous songs on the play queue, if you can, might be extra helpful.

My NDX 2 suffers a random reboot about once a month. I am running the latest firmware and I have done the unplug the unit overnight thing. It’s not a big deal, but I would prefer if it didn’t do it.

1 Like

Every report to Naim helps, as above :slight_smile: I have not had a single one for months since 3.6 and its beta, so my hands are tied.

1 Like

I occasionally have had the NDX 2 re-boot itself and a 100% up-time would be preferable.

Not sure if we will ever see 100% with the continued evolution of technology connecting multiple vendors across platforms. Lots of opportunities to have a scenario arise that gets by testing… It seems Microsoft invented, or should I say their accountants, by shipping software prematurely then having a constant barrage of bug updates is the norm and not the exception over the past 30 years or so.

We may never see perfection…

2 Likes

I reported the reboots to Duncan of Naim. He was graciously helping me sort through it.

1 Like

My Linux PC has not crashed in many years, performing much less predictable tasks. It’s possible and should be the goal

Hi Seakayaker,

Here is an example of one of our own systems.

That system is a lot more complex than my ND555 and manages tasks a lot more complex than streaming, while interacting with other systems.

Check the up-time :

Capture

The last reboot was a maintenance reboot. That system has years of up-time. It never crashed.

Reliable and robust software is something very much possible.

Think planes, trains, satellites, etc. there are so many examples of highly robust software around us.

My ND555 still crashes on a regular basis btw.
But I don’t bother anymore :laughing:
It sounds great! :blush:

1 Like

You’re sure, you’re not short on security updates? :wink:

(We had such arguments about server uptime in the lab at work. From security perspective any Linux/Windows (general purpose) system with uptime above 31 days is considered a risk by some. But this very much depends on the systems involved and where they are placed.)

1 Like

Well, I left the same album The Beach Boys from Quboz, playing on repeat,last 24 hours…guess what….it’s still playing. Obviously if the ND555 had rebooted it would of stopped.

Go figure!

Yours confused, Dusty!!

Playing for 24 hours is quite the torture test. Not for the streamer, but for the person who has to listen to The Beach Boys! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oh yes, pretty sure.
There is a whole world outside the Linux ecosystem and, obviously, Windows.
Needing to reboot a system to patch it is, for us, an issue on its own :wink:

There is an update to the Naim app available in the Apple app store. Might this mean new firmware is just around the corner? :thinking:

2 Likes
1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: New app update

I guess it was just a matter of time before I joined the streamer reboot club, streaming the following via Qobuz started from the beginning of the album then silence…

The Roof is Leaking but I suspect a memory leak on the ND5XS2

And now add mine to the random reboot society. It’s an ND555 from 2018, f/w version 3.6.0 (5106) and did it for the first time a few nights ago when the app went unresponsive during selection of Next Track on the NAS, then the unit rebooted.

It’s strange I’m with the beta group and even through all the trials I’ve only ever had one random reboot.

I never had one.
Maybe if Naim released updates (including rebooting the system) more often, it would actually happen less? :wink: (Cleaning up any potential memory leaks.)

Though from what I read, I think the chances are higher, the high(er)-res the material being played. (Like Phil Collins above.)

Hi. I currently own a Uniti Atom since last November. I’ve never been able to update it, using the android app or the remote control.
The app never prompted for a firmware update; every time I try to update via the app (setup / check update), I end up with a screen “checking firmware update” then it goes back to the setup menu…
I don’t even know the current firmware version on the Atom; which line in the information menu is relevant to the firmware version?
The Atom is connected via WiFi.
Any help would be appreciated !
Thanks

It’s called “System Version” and it should be 3.6.0. (Possibly with another number attached at the end, I don’t know as I’m on the Beta version).
What’s your App Version? It should be 2.22.

It does not “prompt” for an update; when one is available, there is just a small arrow in the streamer’s box on the initial rooms screen. However, when you manually do the check for an update, after “checking firmware update” it should end on a new screen saying “Firmware is up to date”, the installed version number, and a “Continue” button