New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

:laughing:

Yeah, leave it unplugged and you’re guaranteed to have no more reboots.

1 Like

But, ah, demons living in electrical systems… how are they to jump through the portal, if there’s no power connection? Wireless?

Alternative thought: maybe they starve to death (or whatever happens to demons…) when they are deprived of power? For long enough? :thinking:

2 Likes

My Atom decided to stop taking analogue input the other day got no sound using AV Fixed volume. Had to reboot the machine and then it came back but noticed last night Volume display had gone so got no volume readout on the display. Had to perform a factory reset to get it back, left it powered down for several minutes and it did not help.

1 Like

Considering what happened recently with these firmware upgrades, I would like to ask if you are happy with the latest firmare or not (yes, I still have the 3.4 firmware on my NDX 2).

• Yes, I’m happy and not experiencing any issues
  • Yes, I’m happy but some minor issues haven’t been completly resolved
  • No, important issues haven’t been resolved yet (eg. random reboots)

0 voters

I have had a few re-boots while listening to music since I installed the update when it became available. They are a slight inconvenience but having worked in technology for the majority of my career I have never came across a perfect piece of software/hardware that did not need some sort of re-boot on occasion. The current frequency is certainly within my tolerance level.

3 Likes

You are right, I’m pretty sure a perfect software/hardware doesn’t exist. I only had 2 reboots in one year, so I can’t really complain. How many did you have?

I believe about 3 since I have updated the software. Previously it was much more often and felt it was quite an improvement.

When I am at home I stream music serval hours a day so being interrupted for a minute or so while a re-boot happens on occasion is a small inconvenience for the enjoyment I receive when listening to music.

1 Like

3 times is almost nothing, I could live with that …even though I hope not to enjoy such events!

I did the long shutdown a week ago on my NDX2 that Naim suggested. No reboots so far. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

I bought my NDX2 in February 2020. I have had only one reboot with the 3.5.0 firmware. No reboot with 3.4, 3.5.1 or 3.6. Never had a screen freeze.

I use Roon for all listening. But have tested both Qobuz and Tidal in the Naim app.

The reboot I had was not “random”. I played music by Roon as usual and clicked, by mistake, at an expired Asset server (trial).

1 Like

Mine is just a touch younger than yours (I bought it in March or May, I don’t remember right now). I hope to be as lucky as you’ve been when I’ll upgrade the firmware.

I guess this doesn’t really count.

I had an Atom from January until two weeks ago when my Nova arrived. The volume disappearing was a weekly thing. Or the screen locking. Or the analog TV Signal getting out of sync. All requiring one and sometimes more than one hard reset. Knock on wood…none of that with the Nova…

I actually have experienced more frequent reboots than before. So while I am ok with the sound, the stability has reduced for me.

1 Like

You have a ND555 and @seakayaker has a NDX2, even though I’m pretty sure they have lots in common about the software. But it might be something else of course.

For Naim team information, just experienced my first ever unforced reboot since I purchased the NDX2 2 years ago. Its currently on latest 3.6.0 update.

Random reboots:

I echo @BertBird 's comments regarding random reboots.
Firmware 3.6 hasn’t changed a thing, in my system.
I still experience reboots as regularly as with previous firmware.

Firmware behaviour consistency:

I would like to add that I noted a potential issue in behaviour consistency.

Usually, when I switch my system off and switch it back on an hour later, the system behaves exactly as before. But if I switch it off for longer, let’s say a day or two, there is a difference.

I have the following setting: display off.
The display is always off, all the time, whether something is playing or not.

When I switch my system off then back a few minutes later, the display remains black after the boot procedure.

But if I switch it off for a day, then the display no longer remains black:

I have to play a track to get it back in “off mode”.

Sound Quality:

Sound quality remains outstanding! :smiley:
There is a nice balance throughout the spectrum.
The level of details and clarity allows a vast, precise, and stable stereo image.
Brilliant job Naim! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas. I’m sure @tomvamos is taking note of the comments on the thread.

2 Likes

Hi Thomas,

Not wishing to distract from the topic….good to see you on the forum! I thought we had lost you!

1 Like

Was playing my ND555 yesterday and 30s into the first track the sound suddenly cut out. Looking at the front panel it appeared to have rebooted as the screen was showing the start up progress bar. No power outages etc so this makes me think it reset itself. Firmware is also up to date.

Should I be concerned or is this a “thing”? Have others experienced this? Unit is about a month old.