New Firmware update v. 3.6.0

You just need a laptop that you can get near the UQ plus a mini usb cable like this;

Software for Mac and pc is here, scroll down to “streaming products”

1 Like

The cable needs to be one that has data connections in it as well as power. Some cables like that supplied for battery charging something from a USB port didn’t have the data connections in them (as I discovered to my frustration when I first did such an update. But the third cable I tried worked ok, so it is labelled now as “good for Naim updates”.)
Best

David

1 Like

The update is now available from 3.4 to 3.6 direct.

Thanks Beta Group! Good work :partying_face:

5 Likes

My Atom has been near flawless since I got it in September, which makes me wonder if I should just leave it alone and not install this update, in spite of having checked every day for a firmware update. I see nothing in this update that adds value to my already trouble free experience. I bought the Atom because I was tired of perfomance issues with my Moon streamer and other sources that are all built in on the Atom. I want to listen to music to relax. I deal with precarious technology in TV post-production all day and I want my relaxation to not be more trouble shooting I have experienced one freeze and I recall doing something to cause it; plus one snap sound on power up, and that was yesterday and only because the cd player was already playing, so there was signal present the Atom came to life.

So should I install this update and risk new bugs? Is it in any way going to add to my already good experience with my Uniti Atom, or is there a possibility that I will want to toss it in the harbour because it introduces new bugs? It seems to take Naim a long time to address these issues. Perhaps more frequent updates with only a few fixes would be more appropriate? I know you will never please everyone, but seeing a few bugs fixed more frequently might offer hope to the tormented.

The only bug I have had is one application that will not chromecast from my iphone - Sirius XM. I can see a handshake attempt and then it fails. The Atom returns to it’s previous state and the app keeps trying to cast. I wrote to Sirius XM and received no reply. It is the only app I have that will not chromecast to the Atom.

I was genuinely hoping to see some new features like Deezer support, maybe Amazon HD and Tidal Connect, perhaps with MQA support. If you want to do the first unfold now, Audirvana is UPnP aware of the Uniti Atom and will play back at 24/96. But honestly, I think Tidal directly through the Atom without MQA sounds just as good or better. I have never heard the full MQA experience with a certified DAC, so is it better? I don’t know. The Atom is so good sounding to me that I have stopped listening to hardware and just listen to music.

So where is Tidal Connect? When Tidal announced it, Naim was in the list as supporting it.

Thanks for making my music listening more enjoyable and effortless.

1 Like

TIDAL Connect will be in the next major Firmware release (there may be minor updates in meantime). Watch this space! If you’re 100% happy (bar that odd Sirius XM issue) with your Uniti Atom, there’s no technical reason why you can’t stay with your current Firmware in the meantime.

3 Likes

If your username was Surreypud, I would suggest you could borrow my CD…

Sorry that was meant to go to @anon17748768 of course.

2 Likes

Well, I was going to hold off for a bit but the twitchy finger did its own thing and ‘hey presto’ the Atom updated itself.
Never had any complaints before so as long as this works as well, I’ll be happy.
Initial SQ impressions … pretty much the same. Nothing particularly stands out from the previous version.

We have always noted cross side effects of firmware updates on SQ in the past.

Very good update. IMHO sound quality has improved. In my NDX2 Sibilants have been greatly reduced and the bass is “warmer “.
Really happy with this update.

1 Like

Thanks, the thought is appreciated…only circa 250 miles in the name difference…

Thanks for the clarification Clare

1 Like

My issue is sorted now.

I tried on my iPhone and it found it straight away.

When I went back to the iPad it had appeared there too :grinning:

1 Like

Yes maybe, but you asked two questions, I tried to answer one of them. I have no qualifications to answer the other, first of all because I used the beta version for weeks/months, so I could no even tell you how the release versions compare in my system and to my ears

:pray:

1 Like

Great news…pleased it’s all ok now, enjoy the music…

Hello @Naim.Marketing

Thanks to the dev team for this new release. Things seem to go in the right direction.

I see no mention, on the release notes, of the “random reboot” issue being addressed.

Is this problem solved?

If so, out of curiosity, what did cause those reboots?

Thank you for your help and for being the bridge between the forum and Naim.

Have a nice evening,

Thomas

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a single cause of the rare reboots, but it’s certainly been addressed in this release, and the Beta group seems happy with the stability.

1 Like

I think the reason you were still being offered the 3.5.1 update is because it was already in your NDX2’s update queue, so to speak. If you forced the NDX2 to look again it would have found 3.6 then, but it obviously checks every now and again anyway, so eventually offered you the 3.6 update instead.

Best

David

Thank you for your swift answer.

In my case, however, I would qualify those reboots more as regular than rare.

Considering they did occur when, apparently, the ND555 was doing nothing, I would qualify them as regularly unexpected.

Anyhow, I’m glad the problem seems to be solved.

With or without reboots, the ND555 sounds incredibly good.

Those little software issues take nothing from the fact that Naim builds extremely good products.

2 Likes