New firmware update

Just had another random reboot on my NDX2 playing from the Core. Looking forward to the fix… updated the Nova yesterday, which well enough including me accidentally unplugging the network switch just after the firmware had downloaded…

Unlikely. Most software updates, installs will perform a checksum to ensure the file is complete before attempting to install it.

As @CrystalGipsy said, it’s most likely the Beta program is not big enough to stress test the software fully in order to take into account every system build or third party hardware. Apple must have 100,000’s… possibly millions of people in the Beta program but many bugs still get through. Nature of the beast.

3 Likes

Quite right, if the update does not download completely it would be broken. Updates are usually packed so the file size is smaller for transfer. It would not even be able to unpack.

And if it broke during install the software would just crash or even fail to start up at all.

What @CrystalGipsy says indeed touches on what this most probably is. Bugs in software manifest in untested corners. In Naim’s defence these can be pretty unexpected use cases during development and in house testing. It is very hard to predict how every user will use software. You can damn sure that a button does what it is supposed to and then the first time someone else does it they just click on it in a different sequence of events or timing and CRACK!

Add to that a random amount of external devices that can be connected and configured in a large amount of permutations with limited testing capacity and this will always happen.

Certainly does not alleviate the frustration to those afflicted (myself included) but as someone who builds and tests software for a living, there is a very predictable cause.

1 Like

Yes it can be frustrating but, as you mention, I think Naim would be hard pushed to cover every angle in testing. To be honest, even if every member on this forum became a Beta tester, it is still unlikely to be anywhere near enough to prevent these problems. Especially as products become more complex and software dependent (streamers, transports and all-in-one systems) that will interact with other non naim hardware.

I also used to be a programmer in the past… VBA and SaS programmer (banking). I left after 15 years to start my own business… i.e. escaped the rat race :joy:

1 Like

Defo! Guess that is the conundrum for a premium brand. People (like me again) expect it to be faultless because it is a premium brand. But being a premium brand they sell less in bulk numbers and therefore have less of a user and test base.

Haha I cut my teeth on VB back in the day. Then moved through C++, Delphi, AS400 RPG, C# to JavaScript where I am still stuck on. Became freelancer and working from home at the moment so not much rat racing either. Just building stuff I love for people who care.

1 Like

Fw 3.5.1 has just been released for the new Network players…

Here we go…any volunteers?

:joy: I’m doing it now!

G

Graeme, are those tears of frustration or joy?

Updated in 5mins no problem. Fingers crossed.

G

1 Like

Reports in 15 min?:wink::musical_note:

I’m going in… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

New firmware 3.5.1 arrived to-day for those using Nd555 …Ndx2 … before I start to install… is there any benefit in terms of sound?..needs your help experience …thanks

I didn’t experience any problems with the 3.5 update and have now updated to 3.5.1 and am now back to listening to the music just as i was before 3.5.1 update. Hopefully others here will have the same results. A pretty painless procedure if you ask me. I didn’t have to reboot, as my NDX 2 did that all by itself after the initial update was installed. All good so far! :+1:

1 Like

Stephen, it is recommended to complete the updating procedure with this:

‘Please ensure that after your unit has updated that you re-boot (unplug device, leave for about 10 minutes, then re-plug in) your device as well as any associated network equipment. You may also need to log out then log back in to any streaming or associated services.’

Thanks Nigel but i’ve never had to do that once and this is probably my forth update now. I’ve just updated and carried on as usual. All working the same as ever. 10 minutes interruption halfway through this fine album? There is only so much a man can take i’m afraid! :rofl:

2 Likes

Fair enough. Have you noticed any difference in SQ between 3.5 and 3.5.1?

Sorry to disturb you and Jimi…

…I am at the moment, although as the equipment is new it could be a burn-in glich?

Hi Nigel, it’s all sounding mighty fine to me! Hard to say if there has been any change in sound quality at all to be honest. Maybe a touch crisper and smoother? but i can’t really say for sure. More than likely a placebo effect.

1 Like

You are perfectly right and this is something that I really would like to understand, once all the problems have been sorted out and the new firmware has been found to work as expected:

Why the hell does a device need to stay unplugged for 10 minutes for a firmware upgrade to complete successfully? What is supposed to happen during those 10 minutes in the device or in its environment?

Many devices need to be restarted manually after a firmware upgrade or after a poweroff. Some devices (for instance Oppos’ blu ray players) should not be restarted immediately after a poweroff. At least not too often: I seem to remember that the manual suggests a minimum interval of about 30 seconds between a poweroff and a new start.

I would understand Naim’s recommendation if it was the case that any poweroff should be followed by a 10 minutes wait before a restart. But this doesn’t seem to be the case.