New firmware update

Updated in 5mins no problem. Fingers crossed.

G

1 Like

Reports in 15 min?:wink::musical_note:

I’m going in… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

New firmware 3.5.1 arrived to-day for those using Nd555 …Ndx2 … before I start to install… is there any benefit in terms of sound?..needs your help experience …thanks

I didn’t experience any problems with the 3.5 update and have now updated to 3.5.1 and am now back to listening to the music just as i was before 3.5.1 update. Hopefully others here will have the same results. A pretty painless procedure if you ask me. I didn’t have to reboot, as my NDX 2 did that all by itself after the initial update was installed. All good so far! :+1:

1 Like

Stephen, it is recommended to complete the updating procedure with this:

‘Please ensure that after your unit has updated that you re-boot (unplug device, leave for about 10 minutes, then re-plug in) your device as well as any associated network equipment. You may also need to log out then log back in to any streaming or associated services.’

Thanks Nigel but i’ve never had to do that once and this is probably my forth update now. I’ve just updated and carried on as usual. All working the same as ever. 10 minutes interruption halfway through this fine album? There is only so much a man can take i’m afraid! :rofl:

2 Likes

Fair enough. Have you noticed any difference in SQ between 3.5 and 3.5.1?

Sorry to disturb you and Jimi…

…I am at the moment, although as the equipment is new it could be a burn-in glich?

Hi Nigel, it’s all sounding mighty fine to me! Hard to say if there has been any change in sound quality at all to be honest. Maybe a touch crisper and smoother? but i can’t really say for sure. More than likely a placebo effect.

1 Like

You are perfectly right and this is something that I really would like to understand, once all the problems have been sorted out and the new firmware has been found to work as expected:

Why the hell does a device need to stay unplugged for 10 minutes for a firmware upgrade to complete successfully? What is supposed to happen during those 10 minutes in the device or in its environment?

Many devices need to be restarted manually after a firmware upgrade or after a poweroff. Some devices (for instance Oppos’ blu ray players) should not be restarted immediately after a poweroff. At least not too often: I seem to remember that the manual suggests a minimum interval of about 30 seconds between a poweroff and a new start.

I would understand Naim’s recommendation if it was the case that any poweroff should be followed by a 10 minutes wait before a restart. But this doesn’t seem to be the case.

I would say that it’s no different to a PC where the machine momentarily powers itself down and powers back up again whilst or after updating. I’d be very reluctant to start messing around with mains power when a computer is trying to find itself again. I just let leave things alone and let it do it’s thing. Indeed if one encounters problems after the update then maybe a full power down is then required. Don’t complicate things is my motto. Anyway all working fine here just as it was before. No manual power down needed.

Sounds just as good as before to me Nigel.

Edit…It is sounding very very nice indeed. Certainly no negative sq issues if anyone is hesitant. Wonderful presence to the sound.

G

3 Likes

@Richard.Dane,I assume that I can go directly from 3.4 to 3.5.1 without having to update to 3.5 first?
thanks

Why Reboot? Well if you think about it, the system is forever in standby, ready to start up via the button or the app. Powering off ensures it gets a full reboot, just like your PC needs every now and then. I suppose we dont know if the firmware update does a full reboot or not. Just updated to 3.5.1 - no issues.

The streamer reboots itself. You don’t need to unplug it from the wall or pull any mains cables out. Same with any PC laptop. It does everything itself. Same as any NAS device.

I would guess so.

Surely Naim must have good reason to recommend the Streamer unplugging and network device restarting rigmarole?

@Richard.Dane?

I’ve just updated my ND5 XS2 to 3.5.1 (felt smug on 3.5.0 for a while as it was performing beautifully, and then it went into random reboots several times a day, which seemed to have some relationship to switching inputs and then pausing the stream; a workaround which seemed to work was to always switch to iRadio and pause that stream - clunky, but seemed to work for me over the last days. Hopefully irrelevant now. )

So far, after an hour, everything’s working smoothly, no discernible change in SQ.

Will report back if random reboots recur - but I’m quietly confident it will be fine this time.

I’m not sure they do any more with the latest fw update. I’m told it shouldn’t now be needed, but personally I’d probably do it anyway, just to be sure…