New firmware update

Just received an email from support saying they believe thereā€™s another update due in a week or so

1 Like

Hi,

Could you ā€œexpandā€ or elaborate a tad?

I would expect a software support to have plans rather than beliefs.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks @PhilippVH. That is helpful. I use the nova for roon only, and donā€™t connect via HDMI so I think I will resist the urge

Maybe I should have just dug out and linked the release note? :wink:
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/new-streaming-platform-firmware-3-5-release/

(3.5.1 is pure bug-fixing; since 3.5 introduced some unexpected effects.)

I emailed support earlier in the week on Richards advice to explain that I had a reboot event after upgrading to 3.5.1 and that was there response today.

1 Like

But this is an unplanned bug fix release they are working on and the issue is tracking down something that happens rarely, that is hard to replicate. Thatā€™s why Naim donā€™t have a certain release date yet.

Best

David

1 Like

Oh no. Here we go agaim.

Itā€™s a good thing. Much better than getting announcement an app is not being supported or updated anymore.

Not that hard to replicate on my set-up, where it happens at least twice a day! But fully appreciate your point that there are many, many combinations of equipment and hence difficult to track the bug(s) down.

Support told me on 5 October they were releasing 3.5.2 ā€˜within a weekā€™, so Iā€™m hopeful of a fix shortly.

Not out of the woodsā€¦ Seems right to me. Currently streaming Swiss Jazz internet radio on NDX2. Screen still showing image of last album i streamed from QOBUZ.

BUT current firmware + app are way more stable, functional and fast then previous releases. A few months ago I was close to throwing a brand new NDX2 out the 15th floor window. Not perfect yet, much better.

But the network connection and app of Naim are still nowhere near as good as the HiFi part. Itā€™s the quality of the music delivery (DAC) that saved it for myā€™NDX2.

And it goes on. Nova bricked and required a hard restart. NDX2 has been fine since the latest upgrade ā€”ā€” touch wood.

This is what Iā€™ve been referring to as a screen freeze. I have this about once per fortnight. The simple fix is to power it off and on again. This will bring display and music back in phase.

Yes, it does. However, that is not the level of quality that I believe one could (and should) expect from high end hifi gear. I believe Naim still recommends always power on, so cycling the power does not seem optimal?

Might be a dumb question, but would that particular station normally send album art/metadata that would display on the screen? I am wondering if that station does not contain any metadata and therefore the screen is just showing what the last album was from Qobuz because it has not received anything from that station in terms of metadata? In which case it may not be a freeze as such, more of a case of the unit not reverting to a generic ā€œinternet radioā€ display?

If you played a new track in Qobuz, would the screen refresh with the new track info?

Either way it is, of course, undesirable behaviourā€¦

Dumb questions do not exist, only dumb answers :slight_smile:

Normal behavior: the ā€œlogoā€ of the internet radio station should be displayed. And when you play another Qobuz album, that album should be displayed. It did not.

But please read previous answers: There was a ā€œscreen freezeā€. A power cycle on the NDX2 corrected the problem. But that is indeed undesirable behavior from high end hifi gear.

ā€˜Brickedā€™ applied to electronic equipment generally means ā€˜rendered permanently broken and now as capable of performing itā€™s computerised functions as a brick would beā€™.

Assuming a hard-reset resolved your problem, your Nova isnā€™t ā€˜brickedā€™ā€¦

4 Likes

Oh well. I have been running the new firmware 3.5.1 since day one without problems. Today, my NDX2 experienced itā€™s first stutter and reboot.

If it helps. I rebooted my ethernet switch, played 1 song on Tidal, 1 on internet radio then 2 on local storage before it stuttered and rebooted.

The rebooting of the ethernet switch might have something to do with it, or it might not. I am somewhat sad to see there are still problems.

Isnā€™t 3.5.2 just around the corner folks?

G