New firmware update

Some people here have been claiming that Naim has changed some parts/hardware in the streamers; that new ones are different than older ones. Is there any proof of this? Or, is it just speculation?

I believe only Naim can answer that question.
Sometimes, just like in audio gear, forums generate distortion

I’m not aware of this being the case. I have asked Naim to comment or clarify.

1 Like

My ND555 is from the latter part of 2018 and has had several screen freeze problems and four random reboots, so I do not think these problems are in any way solely the domain of the newer units. I have found that the artwork freeze can easily be fixed by performing a power cycle, so although annoying (I’ve had these roughly once a fortnight from day one), it’s not as bad as the random reboot, which is a pretty fundamental issue in my view. That said, I know that the technical team at Naim are working hard to solve this and I am confident they will. After all, as far as I am aware, no one ever had a random reboot before firmware v3.5.

2 Likes

My dealer has had this first hand from Naim.
Lockdown and Naim’s desire to keep production moving, along with a less than successful (quality ) supply chain has led to some compromises being made.

I’m sorry, but your dealer certainly did NOT get this straight from Naim. Because it’s not true!

I can confirm there’s no truth in the ‘different hardware’ theory.

The overwhelming majority of users are enjoying Naim streaming products without any problems. We are seeing a very, very low level of reported issues, but are committed to explore fixes for anyone that contacts us via our Tech Support channels.

For example, we are currently working to fix the random reboot issue a few people are suffering from: it looks like there is more than one cause, and that the issue can also affect the display, which could be why some people are experiencing display problems.

It seems there are certain fringe-use cases that can cause the reboot problem. Hence, why some people think it’s fixed and others not (one of the causes has been fixed but it looks like there’s another cause).

We’ll continue to keep you updated, but – as ever – should you be experiencing any issues with any Naim product, contacting our Support team should be your priority.

8 Likes

Good, and thanks for the clarity.

My ndx2 appears to have lost interest in rebooting itself. However a frozen or more usually a blank screen is an everyday occurrence. Looking forward to the firmware fixing this issue.

Do you have a date for this fix please.

I’ve been promised an ETA from our software team on Monday - i’ll update everyone then.

3 Likes

Clare, my ND555 had a relay fault that was repaired Salisbury have Naim changed suppliers of the relays that they were using that were causing the problems?

We do always check and double-check components, but statistically there may be the odd rogue one that behaves well in all tests before dying young… That’s why we’re happy to offer a warranty period.

1 Like

LOL. I got rid of screen freezes by going screenless! Sold uniti and got nd5xs2. No issues and sounds better.

1 Like

Have they changed the component from the original?

Supplier, maybe (you’d expect us to have more than one supplier of key components), but no hardware change, as confirmed

I just bought a Nova but I have turned the screen off as I don’t need it. It’s in another room to where I am listening anyway, so totally pointless to me.

Best

David

2 Likes

Maybe not all reported, but both my Nova and NDX2 have had issues, and still do, somewhat randomly. I never really had great support from Naim directly, so have been quietly waiting it out. I wonder how many you are hearing from?

I would urge everyone to report - it takes less time to write an email to support@naimaudio.com than it does to post here, and you are then part of the process. The team has tools to diagnose issues, too - I would strongly encourage it

8 Likes

My 555 (an early one ) suffered a random reboot yesterday. I’m still on 3.5 as once I heard of the problems with 3.5.1 I decided to stay put

1 Like

Got 3 tickets in for mine. If 3.5.2 doesn’t work, its getting swapped out for new.

I have just reported a reboot of my Atom… this happened over 3 weeks ago (on version 3.5.1) but you have prompted my conscience to report it so that Naim Support have a better understanding of the incidence rate.

Here’s hoping they get to the bottom of it!

Mark

2 Likes

Ditto

1 Like