New firmware update

Wouldn’t that mean other hardware manufactures would also be experiencing the same problem? Just there isn’t anything in the Auralic Support forum.

Auralic recently rolled back their Lightening DS app due to Tidal authentication problems. Seems MQA streaming was broken with it. The Auralic dev rolled back the new authentication scheme to the old for now, more testing needed.

I did not notice any issues as I have MQA off, I only stream at the cd quality rate.

Gotya… didn’t see it mentioned there. I guess they must have pulled it before it caused many problems which would explain why there aren’t any threads in the support forum… or it may have been a while back.

Thanks for checking, starting to feel like the odd man out!

I’m on the latest version but iOS not Android so maybe that’s the difference?

Next step deleting/installing the app again.

Ooh, it’s my turn. :grin:

Playing a new download off the Core into my Nova when it stuttered, stopped and rebooted. Power disconnected and reconnected. And we’ll see how it goes. If it’s a one off, I don’t care. Fingers crossed.

Good luck.

if I understand correctly, it is better to refrain from doing the update if we want to avoid the night of horrors
Pierre

1 Like

To be honest, you most likely don’t have the slightest problem, but there’s also some chance that you’ll actually walk through the night of horrors, as has happened to a few of us, that since the update I’ve personally spent my time exchanging emails with the support service, with Naim’s Software Director, in the forum, and, yes, also, unplugging and plugging back again the device, restarting the App, logging out and in back again the Tidal App, ando so on… Come on, everything but listening to music, let alone enjoy it…

But at least it cannot be said that Naim’s service is not top notch, because in very few brands the same Software Director, @Stevesky, is personally involved, even outside of working hours, in the particular resolution of the problem…

5 Likes

Most users won’t have any issues. It’s probably a safe idea to do a hard re-boot (switch off, unplug, make a cup of tea, plug in, switch on) and log out and then back in to any steaming services after the update to avoid any minor issues though. Also worth closing down the App. Then restarting it. And restart router etc… in home network.

1 Like

I noticed some dropouts when streaming from Tidal a couple of days ago where the sound cut out for 3 seconds then 6 seconds a few times then much longer at which point I just gave up. I thought it was an issue with my home Wi-Fi, may be not? I streamed today to test it out again after reading other users experiences, so far no issues. My Uniti Star has not been turned off, reset or rebooted, neither has my Wi-Fi or the Tidal service. The firmware version of the player is 3.5.0.4967 the iOS app is 5.18. Bit of a non story but it had a happy ending :grinning:

Downgraded my ND555 to v3.4 and the magic is back regarding SQ. Will leave it be for a while and then retry v3.5 followed by a factory reset as recommended by Naim.
The service has been excellent in my opinion.
My only recommendation regarding future updates is to perhaps have a more robust beta testing with some in house experts as well.

1 Like

Perhaps they could include some willing forum lab rats first too?

Naim do beta test in-house before it goes out to the forum beta group. By the time we get to see it, Naim think it is good to go, except they may still be working on some outstanding issues and we get fed those as they are ready. But by the time we see the release candidate, usually it’s all there bar the shouting.

What is surprising to me is that we beta testers see no hint of some of the problems over weeks of testing and then once released into the wild, new issues emerge from the wider customer base quite quickly. Why is that?!

Best

David

1 Like

I think that one of the issues is that everyone’s set up in a digital world is unique and it’s just not possible to encompass every iteration and variation. However the more Naim can test, the more potential issues can be identified and eliminated.

To that end, if any forum members want to be even more involved, joining the Beta programme is a great way to talk directly with the software team and it affords them a wider “sample” out in the field. Just drop an email to beta@naimaudio.com detailing your system setup.

3 Likes

If I were to perform a factory reset, can anyone advise what would need to be reset afterwards? Does all the basic setup remain (such as remote control assignment, input selection status, screen off, Qobuz account etc.)? Or is it really back to how it comes out of the box?

I asked twice but did not receive any reply.

Clive the factory reset puts it back to how it came out of the box, except with the current firmware rather than the historical firmware. So you have to setup as if it were new (unless something is held in the app rather than the streamer).
Best
David

Thanks, David. That’s what I feared. I think I’ll just do a power cycle and cross my fingers.

This will probably tempt fate, but performing a factory reset post-install has been successful for me. No drop outs or phantom switch ons (that I’ve witnessed). At this point I’m happy with the upgrade.

I will add that, upon doing the factory reset, I also deleted the app from my iPad and installed that fresh so it was “clean” setup on both ends. I also disabled Chromecast and Bluetooth because I never use them.

1 Like

The only changes I noticed with the firmware update is the loss of the psychedelic purple and blue swirl screen on boot up. Now you get a Naim logo. It also starts in standby mode where it didn’t before.

No problems so far. Sound quality the same. Keeping my fingers crossed after reading most of this thread. :grimacing: