New firmware update

Piling on, Uniti Atom on 3.5.0.4967:

• Numerical volume indicator on front display not showing while adjusting volume via any means (remote and top wheel LEDs displaying properly)
  • Digital 2 input not playing sound despite acquiring signal as per proper kHz indication, need to switch to internal source (ie Spotify) and then back for any sounds to be played
  • Digital 2 sometimes reverse: indicating No signal but actually playing sound

Bruno, I take it you have done a hard re-boot, and/or a reset following the 3.5 fw update?

If so, then please contact Naim tech support.

I had a weird thing happen this morning that Iā€™ve never seen happen . I was playing music and it stopped suddenly and a black screen came up with the Naim name on it . It sat there for maybe 30 -45 seconds and then thankfully went to the menu screen . The Uniti Atom is working fine at this point .I was playing Tidal so maybe the stream went bad ?

I think this is called a spontaneous reboot. I had two of those since the update while playing music on the Nova. I believe Richard mentioned that there is some interest by Naim on this, I guess a search should find his post. IIRC get in touch with Naim support. (In my case, itā€™s a loaner so Iā€™ll leave that up to the dealer if it does not get worse while I have it)

1 Like

Reboot just happened again with now the Roon name on the display . It has been stuck for over a minute . Sigh :pensive:. I had the freezing display and that seems fixed now I have this .
Now the Uniti Atom literally just turned itself off (put in standby ) I didnā€™t touch a thing

This is unacceptable.

Johnny, please see my many posts above - please, if a hard re-boot, or even a reset does not clear this then contact Naim support on Monday. Thanks.

1 Like

spontaneous reboot brought me a certain advantage and it freed me from the frozen screen

Richard,
Given the number of units incurring the random reboot and/or stuttering and/or other unexpected issues, do you think it might be worth adding a cautionary note to the pinned notice announcing firmware v3.5?

If Naim are shipping new units, what firmware version are they loading? Anyone know?

Clive, according to Naim the number of reports to tech support of the random re-boot is very small - I guess we see it here as looking like more as this is most often one of the ports of call of anyone affected. So unless Naim advise otherwise, I shall leave the sticky as is, but I think anyone experiencing this should contact Tech support.

So why donā€™t we insist that noone discusses reboots or anything else unless they have already reported it to Naim support?

I think we need some kind of warning that if you are running 3.4 you just stay thereā€¦

Edited to addā€¦ I am now the proud owner of a Novaā€¦ my goodness it is fantasticā€¦ but before I bought it I had to confirm that it was 3.4 and not 3.5 :frowning: its a bit sad @Richard.Dane

From what Naim are seeing, chances are you would have been just fine on Fw.3.5 as the number of affected users with issues is relatively very small. Naim just need to get to the bottom of why those with issues are so affected - reporting to Naim tech support is essential here if experiencing issues with Fw.3.5.

1 Like

When you say, ā€œrelatively very smallā€, is that specifically in reference to the reboots? Because Iā€™m not suffering from those, yet have four issues open with support. And besides the reboots, have seen other issues reported here that Iā€™m not seeing either.

So my gut feeling is that a lot of people are likely to have issues, but perhaps not all the same one.

@Gazza have you had issues with your ND555 since updating to firmware v3.5? Without trawling back through >1000 posts, I cannot recall whether you are experiencing the random reboot issue. Thanks.

I guess the follow on question is to any new platform users who have updated to v3.5. Is there any forum member with one of the new platform streaming devices who has experienced problems but has not yet reported this to Naim Support?

Hi Clive, it has been rock solid through beta and now released to all. Sounds a bit better too.

Do you have any idea as to why that might be? What are you doing differently? Do you put it in standby, for example?

Nothing unusual, i just let it update itself, and that was it. Steve Harris the software Director did mention that tens of thousands of streamers have been updated. So the complaints on the forum are disappointing for sure, but i guess are relatively low in number by comparison.

I seemed to have escaped any problems following the v3.5 update, until several days later, when, although the streamer showed the ā€œnow playingā€ screen, there was complete silence in the room.

I dug out the manual and tried the suggested factory reset using the remote / front screen, to no avail.

Googling ā€œND 555 Factory Resetā€ brought up a link which Iā€™ve detailed above ^^^, which once completed, seems to have resolved things.

Maybe itā€™s just me, but early in this thread, references appear to carrying out a Factory Reset, and the manual refers only to the procedure I first tried, to no effect, so why on earth the proper ā€œhands onā€ one, buried in the Naim website, isnā€™t contained in the manual, baffles me.

I canā€™t help thinking that many folks, if they only knew of the true reset procedure, would have solved their problems by now.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only had three occurrences of random reboot so far, but if (when) it happens again I will definitely try a factory reset as youā€™ve described, Dave.