New firmware update

I agree. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Especially as the next firmware update is in the pipeline.

Scratch that, i just had my first spontaneous reboot with 3.5 (Uniti Nova). :wink: Weirdly timed too, i was just watching TV with the audio on through optical.

I emailed Naim yesterday to join the beta program, i haven’t heard from them yet but would be glad to provide them with any debug info they could use.

Last night I tried every kind of rest I could think of on my ND555. Reset routers, unplugged the machine. Holding down the play and input buttons to force the hard reset. Twice tonight the Digital1 input which is the tv toslink drops it’s signal and can only be regained by switching to another input and then back again. I’m using the beta app currently. Wish to god I hadn’t upgraded it but thought it would stop the problems I was having with Qobuz where albums or playlists kept stopping at the end of tracks instead of playing through. Very frustrating.

No, I would like to wait for the next update. I am still worried about the resolution time of this software problem affecting such high end products …

Why?

Some with the same machines have issues, some don’t. Naim are shipping with 3.5.0. But that will be uploaded in a controlled way. Naim have less control how an upload is delivered over the internet.
If 3.5.0 was that bad, I assume they would ship with a previous version and a note to not upload to 3.5.0.

How do you know that they have the same machines? Why should Naim ship with a previous version if 3.5.0 works and sounds fine on the devices they are currently shipping? If the issue is to be fixed in the next 3.5.1 update it just means that 3.5.0 does not work for some machines. If the problem was how the firmare is downloaded, no upgrade would fix it!

So you are saying there are various versions of NDX2. Some that work with 3.5.0 and some that don’t?

That seems to be the case and would be perfectly normal. The differences could be both in hardware and in software. Or perhaps the machine are all the same but the upgrade only works well if these are in certain states. Who knows, there are many, many possibilities … let’s hope that 3.5.1 sorts out all problems! The real issue is not that 3.5.0 does not work for a small number of users but that these users cannot revert to 3.4. This is unacceptable, in my view.

1 Like

Good to hear 3.5.1 is on the way!

G

Shame its not 3.2.1 dusty bin.

Maybe its a sign that 3.5.1 will turn up 3rd May 2021.

I finally took the plunge and updated.

I normally detect the Nova on the computer using the Bonjour protocol - it couldn’t connect initially with an unusual URL not the normal one which hung when clicked. Power cycle fixed that and it was appearing with the normal device name.

I had several possible glitches last night tying to get audio to play over Airplay, when it had been playing via Roon earlier - normally the changeover is fairly quick but it took a few attempts and app updating seemed laggy.

I then got a strange buzzing noise through the speakers, so did a power cycle.

It all sounds very thin today, though it could be the choice of music via Roon. I’ve had at least one audio pause using Roon which is normally not an issue unless the microwave is being used.

Will factory reset once I find my remote!

Strange, but initial impression was that I should have stuck on 3.4 whatever.

No issues here with Chromecast on 3.5 FW.

Thanks Stephen, wonder whether it’s a fault with my Nova?

Just did a factory reset:

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 13.27.57 Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 13.28.04

Perhaps some server housekeeping going on?

Strange - i’m casting right now as i type. I know this doesn’t help your situation and i do feel your pain, but i’m just merely showing you here that there are no issues with using Chromecast on the latest FW.

I think this could be some licensing related issue.

Not sure about the Nova manual, but the ND 555 manual refers to the Factory Reset using the remote, so I’m guessing that the procedure will be similar.

This had no effect on my streamer, other than killing the front screen, so if you find that it doesn’t completely work on your Nova, have a bash at the “hands on” one I’ve mentioned above.

Worked for me, so far. :crossed_fingers:

Yes tried via the remote but it can’t access the update servers so I assume can’t verify Chromecast is licensed.

After 3.5 I get a strange buzzing noise when pluggin in headphones after using HDMI. Dunno if it is related though.

Also dunno if it is related but on the Beta testing side there are currently some issues with the server delivering that firmware. Perhaps it could relate to all firmware. If so, they are working on it.

1 Like